Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Greetings from Glasgow!

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Greetings from Glasgow!
April 18, 2009 09:20AM
Good morning everyone from a chilly Glasgow.
Steve and I are at the start of our 'trip of a lifetime' to the UK.
We left NZ on Tuesday night, flew to Hong Kong and spent two days and one night there. That was a real experience, especially for two travel newbies. Its awesome for so many reasons.
We arrived in Glasgow, via Amsterdam, yesterday morning. Left Hong Kong at 24 degrees and incredible humidity, arrived to 7 degrees and a wind chill that must have taken it lower. However we were prepared for that with our winter layers.
We're about to go down to breakfast at the B & B where we'll have a traditional Scottish breakfast - kippers, smoked haddock etc.
One thing about this trip is that I want to try local and traditional foods.
I drew the line at that in Hong Kong though. While many of the 'street' foods looked inviting, I wasnt prepared to take the chance on starting our holiday with a tummy bug. However thoroughly enjoyed wandering through the streets looking at the variety of fruit and veges, watching meat being sold off a street corner.
Hope everyone is well

Cheers
Paula

Re: Greetings from Glasgow!
April 18, 2009 11:12AM
Hi Paula,
Glad you are enjoying everything so far - butttt - from my experience, you won't go wrong dining out at street side cafes. The only time I have ever come unstuck and the cork up my .... umm u ummm has been loosenummed without fanfare, has been in posh hotels. The more staff who go towards putting a dish before you, the more likely you will experience ... pain.
April 18, 2009 09:23PM
Kerry is right. Most of what you buy from the street vendors is cooked right before your eyes and the sheer heat and speed at which the food is cooked renders it just about sterile. It is sooooo delicious. If you return via Hong Kong, or any other Asian city for that matter, do pluck up the courage to try it. You will be missing out on one of life's many pleasurable experiences otherwise.
April 23, 2009 02:08AM
I remember (about 25 years ago!) being in Glasgow and seeing at McDonalds McHaggis burgers on the menu! True! Wasn't brave enough to try!!.
April 23, 2009 05:01AM
What a coincidence. Just this morning on CNN there was a report about McDonalds profit results and they also looked at its globalisation strategy which included in Japan - green tea thickshakes, in India - the maharajah burger, in France - Mc Croque Monsieur and in the Phillipines and Singapore - McRice!

I dread to think what they have done to the classic croque monsieur in France. sad smiley
April 23, 2009 06:25AM
even here we have the Kiwi Burger pop up every so often in their advtg with beetroot in it.
April 27, 2009 08:43AM
Hi paula,
I miss your cheery smile in the mornings when I go to pick up my coffee... But mostly "goodness Im jealous." Have a fantastic time and keep us posted with how its all going!!!
Warmest Fuzzies and cyber ((((((HUGS))))))
Lisa
Anonymous User
April 27, 2009 07:40PM
Hiya Lisa
Aww thanks for missing me!
We are having a fantastic time. This evening we're in Stirling staying in a fabulous B&B - here tomorrow night as well. The weather hasnt been the greatest, but hey, its what you make of it and it isnt slowing us down.
Seen so many wonderfuls sights, and still many more to come. Had some memorable genealogy highlights which so much of this trip is about for us.
We've set up a flickr site with some of our photos - trying not to bore everyone
lol.

[www.flickr.com]

You take care of yourself

Hugs
Paula
April 29, 2009 10:16AM
Hi Paula!

Owing to its westerly position, Glasgow is one of Scotland's mildest areas. Temperatures are considerably and consistently higher than most places of equal latitude away from the UK, due to the warming influence of the Gulf Stream Drift.

The spring months (March to May) are generally mild. Many of Glasgow's trees and plants begin to flower at this time of the year and parks and gardens are filled with spring colours. The summer months (May to September) can vary considerably between mild and wet weather or warm and sunny. The winds are generally westerly, due to the warm Gulf Stream. The warmest month is usually July, the daily high averaging 20 °C (68 °F). (Highest recorded temperature 31.2 °C/88 °F 4 August 1975.) Despite some infrequent clear or dry days, winters in Glasgow are normally damp and cold.

Good luck with your "trip of a lifetime"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From your Wedding Favors friend of Atlanta, GA
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.