Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Treasure Hunt clues - 14 yr old party

Posted by Ruth 
Treasure Hunt clues - 14 yr old party
July 01, 2009 11:07AM
Hi Everyone
Next Birthday party this weekend, 14yr old girl. It will be an overnighter with about 6 of her friends, all giggling girls, great!

I thought about a treasure hunt, but on the lines of the Amazing Race. When they get to the next clue, they would have to do an activity. It will be at night, and probably raining, so I am keeping it indoors, but will force them to go North, South East West to different parts of the house.

So I need to pick your brains for some activities that 13-14 yr old girls could do.

I was thinking about a small jigsaw they would need to complete when they got to the rumpus room.
Find a certain book when they got to the study (This will be hard, as the bookcase is huge and overflowing)
Match a button or bead to some fabric when they got to the studio.

What could they do in the bathroom? What clue could I use to direct them to the plug hole, that's where I want to hide the next clue.

Maybe when they got to her younger brothers room, build a to out of lego?

In the kitchen, do you think it would be too hard for them to put a platter of dried fruits, nuts, and cheese together? (We could all enjoy eating these later watching the movies).

Well, these are my thoughts, what do you suggest?

Have fun
Ruth

Have fun!
Ruth
Re: Treasure Hunt clues - 14 yr old party
July 01, 2009 01:42PM
Hi Ruth,

How are you?

For the bathroom, maybe you could get them to apply make up (not too much of course) in a certain amount of time or amybe do a fancy hairstyle in a certain amount of time.

For the kitchen, i love the platter idea, brilliant OR just a thought. go and buy some of those cheap homebrand cake mixes ($2 each) and get them to mix it up and place the mixture into the cupcake papers etc....
So then you will have some food for them to eat afterwards...well same as the platter of course..

OR get them to decorate cupcakes in a time frame????

I hope it goes well...

Zee
July 01, 2009 09:55PM
Re Zeetra's idea. When I did a science party for my 10 yr-old, they had a selection of lollies, 3 colours of icing and a cupcake each and had to make a model of the solar system on their cupcake [refpenny.wordpress.com] You could do something similar in the kitchen - ask them to decorate a cupcake to look like something in particular.
For the bathroom, I must admit my first thought was to get them to clean the bath/shower! You could give them a selection of materials and ask them to make boats and see which floated the best. (can you tell I only have boys? I'm sure girls would prefer Zeetra's idea)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 09:56PM by PennyG.
July 02, 2009 09:46AM
Ruth just an idea, could you beg, borrow, rent a playstation with Singstar on it. They could make themselves up as "stars" and perform to the music. It really is fun if you haven't seen it in action.
July 02, 2009 01:17PM
About your query on how to direct them to the plughole, you could take a photo of the plughole, enlarge it on the computer and then cut the photo into segments and that could be the basis for the jigsaw puzzle. Alternatively, don't cut up the photo of the plug but hide it in the inside cover of the book that they have to find.
July 02, 2009 10:38PM
Lynette, your idea reminds me about a puzzle there used to be every so often on TV, can't remember what the programme was. An everyday article was photographed very close up and viewers had to guess what the object was. You could do this with the plug, showing perhaps a fraction of the centre hole with part of one of the 'stems'.

[farm4.static.flickr.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 10:49PM by Lorna.
July 03, 2009 12:25AM
Fantastic ideas, thanks so much,
I did consider getting them to clean the shower/bath, but didn't think that was fair, it is a birthday party!
Am currently looking for a good photo of a plug on Google images, and wondering how I an get the singstar playstation off my neighbour (he doesn't realise I can hear him singing!)
When I make the cake this afternooon, I will make some cupcakes as well, so they can ice them, and also make a platter later.

Have fun and a great weekend.
July 03, 2009 12:29AM
[www.iflr1000.com]

it's a good decent sized one !!
July 03, 2009 04:54AM
I remember that programme Lorna - I used to reallly enjoy it!

(Umm - showing my age as that was years ago.....)
July 03, 2009 11:39PM
Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder what happened to my photo of the plug-hole! Must investigate.
July 04, 2009 01:04AM
Looks as if it went down the plughole Lorna!

Ruth, I've been following this thread with great interest thinking 'what great fun' your daughter's birthday is going to be and what a fun and ingenious Mum you are too. Will look forward to reading how it all went, but later on in the week when you have recovered! Meanwhile *Happy Birthday* to your daughter!
Regards,
Dawn.
July 05, 2009 05:53AM
Hi everyone, well we all are a little comatose today.
The amazing race went well, I enlarged the plughole picture, printed onto thicker card, cut it up, and put a piece of the puzzle with each clue.
The girls were funny rushing around the house, and got into the swing of it. The jigsaws of pandas, and zebras were from the toy library, and are hard, so these took at least 30 mins to complete.
The end clue was the completed jigsaw plughole, and the new instruction had them putting make up on, dressing up, doing their hair, and competing in "We've Got Talent" Me and the boys (6, and 3) were the judges.
The cake was great, and I noticed this morning, all the ganache on the base of the tray had been eaten away in the night.
The girls partied away to C4 until really late.
IThey just slept on the lounge flour where they just slept where they fell basically. I had to wade through them this morning.
The precooked pancakes were a hit, and so much easier. I will do that again.
Got rid of the last one just after 2pm. I think I wll have a sleep now.
Thanks for all the advice.
Have fun
Ruth
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.