Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tramadol

Posted by Julier 
Tramadol
September 03, 2008 08:55AM
Just wondering if anybody is using it or has used it what is like did have the desired effect?
Re: Tramadol
September 03, 2008 09:08AM
My husband used it following spinal surgery at Burwood Hospital. He found it good. My father also used it while he was waiting for a hip replacement and he tried not to use it but save them for when he really needed them (like driving on a long trip) but I'm sure he found them good. Neither appeared to have side effects with them. Good luck!
September 03, 2008 09:41AM
I always check out Health Department data sheets for any medicine I am prescribed, for very comprehensive details.
[www.medsafe.govt.nz]
I have spent the past three months in hospital, undergoing four surgeries and Tramadol was one of the paikillers I took. I was given it regularly in combination with Panadol and occasionally Sevredol (morphine). I had no side effects although I was told stomach upsets were common with Tramadol. It was very effective as a painkiller for me, stronger than Panadol but not as strong as morphine.
September 03, 2008 10:30AM
Ed has had tramadol before for back pain but the last time he had it the Dr prescribed Celebrex instead. There were reasons for this but I am unsure as to what they are.
He didn't have any adverse side effects from either.
September 03, 2008 10:51AM
I have used tramadol drops but found that although they took away the pain, they left me really light headed and I had to lie down after taking them...also caused nausea and vomiting...but I am slight so that may have been why....
September 03, 2008 12:38PM
I used Tremadol together with Panadol after surgery on my foot. It was great, but when I returned to work I could not use it any longer because I realised it slowed down my thoujght processes and made me feel spaced out. When I was at home and was resting for most of the time, I did not notice it. The pain control was very effective though.
September 03, 2008 02:17PM
I have also had Tramadol post surgery on 2 occassions and on other odd times for pain.
I found that for one type of surgery they were good but for the other they were not as good and panadeine was better.I also found that I had the spaced out feeling although not all the time not sure now if it was dose (strength) related as it was a few years ago.
Certainly worth a try. I would use it again if the need was there.
Jean

Jean
September 03, 2008 02:21PM
MY GP gave me a trial of 10 tramadol tabs last week for sciatic pain. I took one Tuesday night and the second Wednesday after breakfast and suffered all day with light headedness and nausea. Rang Dr and he told me to stop taking it as those side effects
are expected with some patients. My daughter was given it whilst in hospital in January for post op pain and had the same effect as me. Pity really as they are stronger than panadol but they do cost a bit!
September 03, 2008 11:00PM
I've also tried Tramadol and they made me very light headed and spaced out. I would suggest that if you are going to try them, do so when you can stay at home and have someone with you.
September 03, 2008 11:29PM
Ed was taking Tramadol and amitryptiline (sp) for severe back pain leading up to surgery and also I think post surgery for a bit.
His pain was so acute and he wasn't walking post surgery anyway so although he was spaced out I am not sure what drug caused it and I think the spaciness gave him so relief from the hours of lying flat on the bed.
September 04, 2008 12:27AM
I have had it a couple of times,once after knee re-placement and once after gall bladder removal.Both times nursing staff were reluctant to prolong it's use and my own doctor doesn't like to use it.Sorry I was too spaced out to ask why!I was very light headed after both times,not sure if it was it or just post surgery dizziness.
September 04, 2008 12:40AM
I am having hip replacement on sept 25 if my chest stays clear found out yesterday that this will be followed quite closely with both knees replaced and my shoulder joint so will have have to be on a gutter frame walker as I can't use crutches He wants me to try Tramadol as nothing else is touching the sides but I have alot of drug allergies
Regards Julier
September 04, 2008 12:44PM
julier, give it a try. Tremadol gave me huge relief. You can always stop taking it. I was fine at home when I used it, but then I did not have to use my mental faculties. I would not use the drug if I had to make major decisions. All the best for your op and I hope it will make you feel better.
September 05, 2008 12:41AM
I personally found tramadol useless for even moderate post c-section pain. It did nothing except make me constipated (sorry for the TMI!), no light headedness, no nausea and also no pain relief.

If I recall correctly it is a synthetic narcotic, and therefore less chance to be addictive, but just isn't as effective as true narcotics for moderate-severe post operative pain. However, I've had several quite major orthopedic operations in the last 8 years and have taken a lot of narcotics for the pain.. I wonder if that has affected my body's tolerance for such things.

It's worth a try for sure, if other options aren't working for you. I think it might also depend on what kind of pain you are treating. Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2008 12:42AM by Jenna.
September 05, 2008 11:33AM
My husband also used amitryptilene (sp?) and the warnings on the box were very scary. If you start having suicidal thought, contact your doctor immediately was one of them!!
September 09, 2008 08:31AM

Just as a matter of interest it is a morphine derivative..Beware..
September 09, 2008 09:15AM
Morphine is a good pain relief though - is it not?
September 09, 2008 09:30AM
very addictive
September 09, 2008 12:22PM
Tramadol is a synthetic drug that works in a similar way but without the addictive quality of morphine.
September 10, 2008 12:16PM
This is interesting - are you all saying that tramal is a morphine derivative? I can't take morphine so that would be why I reacted to it , if that's the case. would be interested in finding out more about it.
September 11, 2008 11:32AM
Maggie it sounds as though it is a synthetic form as opposed to a derivative so you would hope that they would have eliminated negatives if they could.
September 13, 2008 12:51AM
Made me vomit. A lot. Ick.
September 13, 2008 05:54AM
Me too.
September 13, 2008 07:23AM
People react to different drugs in different ways, From Medsafe (New Zealand Medicies and Medical Services Saftey Aythority): "Tramadol is a centrally acting synthetic analgesic of the aminocyclohexanol group with opioid-like effects. It is not derived from natural sources, nor is it chemically related to opiates". Thus it is is a synthetic drug that is not related to opiods, but has opioid-like effects.

and

"Apart from analgesia (pain killer), tramadol may produce other symptoms similar to that of opioids including; dizziness, somnolence (Sleepiness, the state of feeling drowsy), nausea, constipation, sweating and pruritus (itch or a sensation that makes a person want to scratch). However, tramadol causes significantly less respiratory depression (supression of breathing) than morphine. In contrast to morphine, tramadol has not been shown to cause histamine release. At therapeutic doses, tramadol has no clinically significant effect on heart rate, left ventricular function or cardiac index. Orthostatic changes in blood pressure have been observed (when you stand up your blood pressure may falls- can lead to a faint or dizzienessl)".

Remember that not everyone will have problems with a drug and just because a reaction is not stated it does not mean that it does not happen. It may mean that it is so rare that it has not been reported very often. Also it may not be a reaction to a drug.
Here is the link to Tramadol from Medsafe
[www.medsafe.govt.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2008 07:25AM by mark.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.