Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Google - what it will do for you

Posted by J1 
J1
Google - what it will do for you
February 20, 2016 08:12PM
1. Search Do a barrel roll

2. Search askew

3. It will find songs by artists you like. Search Adele songs and a playable list will show. It will do obscure ones too (essentially finds the youtube videos of them for you).

4. It will translate languages for you. Search English to Japanese (for example) and then enter your text in the box and it will translate it.

5. It will give you books by your favourite author. Search books by Keri Hulme (for example).

6. Search Google scholar and then click on the first Google scholar result that comes up. You can then search scholarly literature (peer-reviewed journals, etc). Good for medical searching.
Re: Google - what it will do for you
February 20, 2016 09:12PM
Google is more than just a search engine, too. You can make use of its free cloud services, such as free unlimited storage for your photographs and 15gb free storage for documents, etc. Google has a whole suite of programmes, similar to Microsofts Office Suite, and they, too, are all free to use. No purchase fee, no annual licence fee. And don't forget good old gmail. With your Google account you can access the translation app, a calendar that will email you reminders, an e-book reader and so much more. Don't forget Google maps that will show you the way to anywhere and back. For a comprehensive list of things Google can do for you, visit [www.google.co.nz]

You may be amazed and surprised at what Google can do.
February 20, 2016 11:48PM
Good info thanks! At some stage I will do a google search and ask it what it can do! I have done the barrel roll and askew before, quite neat!
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
February 21, 2016 04:41AM
You're way ahead of me Dawn! I did a Google search of what it can do for me this morning and until that moment had never heard about the barrel roll or askew tricks!
February 21, 2016 06:00AM
[www.google.com]

If you have your android phone synced with your google account, you can track your phone should you misplace it. I did this for my father's phone just this afternoon and it told us where it was to within 25m. Turns out it was in his car under the seat with the ringer turned off, lol.

And if the phone is turned off, you can login to your google account, go to the maps app and look at your location history. It will at least tell you where the phone was (or near enough) when it was last on a network.
March 21, 2016 02:42AM
Google drive and mail is AWESOME
I use it at work as well as personally. Its free to a limit storage wise but great for sharing and collaborating work. Accepts many different file types.
Vanessa
March 22, 2016 11:23PM
Just a word of warning about using Google Photos cloud service to store your photos. They advertise it as being free unlimited space for all your photos but the conditions are very harsh - perpetual ownership of copyrights and if you try to delete your photos, it also deletes them from any device that you have synced. I didn't realise this when I uploaded ALL my thousands of photos to google photos and now I will have to save them all to an external hard-drive before uninstalling google photos. I assume uninstalling the programme (if possible) will delete all my photos on my computer!
April 11, 2016 04:36PM
Yup, GoogleDrive ist definitely awesome for any kind of collaborative work. But keep in mind, to always make a backup from the most important data, because from time to time Google is shutting down accounts and then the work is lost forever.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.