Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Where to eat in Wellington

Posted by NetteB 
Where to eat in Wellington
March 28, 2016 11:26PM
Next week we will be spending 3 days in Wellington, staying at the Ibis hotel. Can you suggest some pleasant cafe style places we can eat at? We don't have transport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 10:06AM by NetteB.
J1
Re: Where to eat in Wellington
March 29, 2016 11:49AM
I enjoy Ti Kouka Café [tikouka-cafe.co.nz] - within easy walking distance of the Ibis, just past the New World Metro supermarket (watch for the Ti Kouka verandah sign and go up the stairs).

Also Olive Café but that's at the far end of Cuba St - a bit more of a walk but lots to look at on the way (Cuba Mall and the famous bucket fountain,etc) [www.oliverestaurant.co.nz]

Smith the Grocer (that's the café's name) in the Old Bank Arcade is very good and just down the road from the Ibis [www.smiththegrocer.co.nz] (There's a Starbucks in the Old Bank Arcade too, if you want to consider them.)

Nikau Café is attached to the Wellington (Art) Gallery in Civic Square (about the same walking distance as Ti Kouka) and is a favourite haunt of Wellingtonians. [www.nikaucafe.co.nz] The Wellington Library's also in Civic Square and has a café called Clark's Café which might be worth checking out - it all depends on what you're looking for.
April 16, 2016 08:52AM
Thank you for your help. We had a great time.
J1
April 16, 2016 10:44AM
You're welcome smiling smiley Was there a place you enjoyed the most (not necessarily one of the ones I mentioned)?
May 25, 2016 12:55PM
Wellington restaurants don't tend to disappoint (which I can't say for the rest of the country...) If you like Chinese food, check out Uncle Chang's on Courtenay Place. There's a good Turkish joint on Cuba Street, can't think of what it's called. Nicolini's is a good Italian place, it's also on Courtenay. And Maria Pia's Italian Trattoria, near the National Archives is awesome but pricey. Go for a leisurely lunch when she's not busy; she'll come to your table and help you decide what to eat! On the other hand, if get a burger craving, there's Burger King.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.