Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Gas Hot Water

Posted by Griz 
Gas Hot Water
September 05, 2016 10:31AM
Hi, we've just changed to gas hot water heating, but we seem to be going through an awful lot of gas, a big cylinder every three or so weeks. Can anyone give me an idea if this is normal for a family of three adults, who shower not bath, use the dishwasher once or sometimes twice a day, and do cold water washing for clothes. We weren't expecting to save money, but didn't expect to be paying more!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2016 12:35PM by Griz.
Re: Gas Hot Water
September 05, 2016 12:27PM
Griz, do you mean that you are going through an awful lot of gas.....?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
September 05, 2016 12:34PM
That's a lot.

For 2 adults, 2 kids, we usually go about 7-8 weeks between tanks and I take quite long showers. When we had 4 adults 2 kids it was about 3 weeks (those extra 2 were my parents who don't give a thought to hot water consumption).

I'd suggest getting the gas fitter back to check for leaks. We had a leak in a sealing cap when we first had lpg installed and lost a reasonable amount of gas to it. Als, do you have a control panel where you can adjust the temp of the water? If so, turn it down to 55c. If not, depending on the model a gas fitter can adjust it on the califont unit itself. We've had both styles at different houses, and did have to get the temp adjusted down add I didn't feel the need for 70c hot water. I think the factory preset for Rinaii is already only 55c though.

I found overall we do save money with gas hot water, excluding the install costs.
September 05, 2016 11:04PM
My dishwasher and my washing machine use only cold water and heats it in the washer. It's a big saving in power, though I am on electricity. Get yours checked out, you might be able to make a saving by having the dishwasher and washing machine connected only to the cold water tap. Modern appliances seem to make use of this facility.

But thinking about it, maybe my power is saved because I'm not using water already heated by electricity and then the tank having to refill and reheat it again. With you having gas, I assume the water is heated as it pushes through the system. Does that make sense?
September 05, 2016 11:25PM
Had the same issue when gas instant was installed. The plumber returned and put a gadget or attachment in the shower mixer to reduce the pressure and things returned to normal, so you may want to enquire along those lines if nothing else helps.
September 06, 2016 12:30AM
We switched to GAS hot water when we did our renovation. We now have a bath and two bathrooms so logically we should be spending more however for a family of 4 we seem to be spending less on gas + power than when we just had electricity. We can see on our power and gas bill where we sit agmonst all the other users and we seem to be slightly below the average.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.