Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Possible solution for travellers diarrhea

Posted by helen 
Possible solution for travellers diarrhea
August 17, 2016 02:12AM
As I am off to Sri Lanka in a few weeks I decided to take Dukoral as a possible preventative of travellers diarrhea. It is typically a cholera vaccine but also works for e-coli bacteria.
A friend who travels regularly to SE Asia claims it is the best thing around and the nurse at the medical centre said people generally find it really good.

I will report back as to whether it works for me or not (I always get a few days unwell so it will be amazing if I don't) but thought in the meantime it may be worth considering for anyone here who is planning a trip.
Re: Possible solution for travellers diarrhea
August 17, 2016 05:11AM
Oh thanks Helen, i have severe diverticulitus & have to be very careful & in 3 wks we are off to Turkey, Israel & cruising home 47 days of it & it has been worrying me as it is so sudden & can be very embarassing so I wonder if it would work for me. Perhaps another visit to the Dr won't go amiss.
August 17, 2016 05:34AM
I was very unwell a few years ago in Turkey and it really did spoil the trip for me.

Dukoral is not a cure all but it does protect you against e-coli which can be as high as 80% of the common upset bugs.

It is 2 doses of an oral liquid taken 1 week apart.
It does cost $60 per dose but I actually think it is well worth it if it keeps me well.
August 18, 2016 03:04AM
Thanks for this, Helen. I was very very sick in China a few years ago and anything I can do to ward that off again I will. I hadn't heard of Dukoral but it will now be on my list.
September 22, 2016 12:50AM
Helen, looking forward to reading all your upcoming posts about Sri Lanka, and also wondering how the Dukoral went.
September 22, 2016 11:57AM
Hi Carolyn, I was completely healthy the whole time.
While could start praising the effects of Dukoral I have to admit that no one was sick and most hadn't had the vaccine so maybe not a good test.
I was very happy to eat my way around the country although not so happy with the tight waist band on my clothes.
Curries and mojitos on a daily basis were not conducive to weight maintenance. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 11:58AM by helen.
September 23, 2016 02:56PM
Thanks, Helen! I'm going to Chile early next year on my way back from Antarctica and plan to give Dukoral a try now I know about it. Sri Lanka sounds absolutely scrummy.
September 27, 2016 02:01AM
Oh wow Carolyn, what a trip.
How incredible it will be to visit Antarctica and all the sea life.
Chile I am sure will be fabulous too.
September 30, 2016 12:21PM
Thanks, yes, we're going on a yacht to Antarctica that only takes seven passengers, so it will hopefully be pretty memorable, especially as we will be camping on the ice as well. (We're flying into Antarctica as I'm not game to cross the Southern Ocean in a smallish boat!) Thanks to where we are in the world I get to grab some time in Santiago, Easter Island and Tahiti on the way home as well (Dukoral alert!).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.