Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Solar by Ian McEwan

Posted by helen 
Solar by Ian McEwan
April 27, 2010 02:06PM
I am up to page 36 of Solar and about to close the book permanently.
Has anyone else read it and can tell me whether I should perservere or not?
Saturday - one of his previous novels - is one of the best books I have ever read. I also really enjoyed On Chesil Beach but I can't find my way into Solar as yet.
Re: Solar by Ian McEwan
April 27, 2010 04:26PM
Hi Helen
I just finished this yesterday and loved it. I dont think it would be everyone's cuppa tea but would recommend you stick with it. I devour anything by Ian McEwan as I love his style of writing.
April 27, 2010 10:07PM
Linda I am currently bored with Beard's work details - does that get easier?
April 28, 2010 12:50AM
Yes definitely, I did find the climate change stuff quite interesting but at the start I found myself flicking through the later parts of the book to see if the story did develop. Persevere a little longer and you will get to a very humorous part of the book and you will get hooked from then on. And as the book develops and you "get" his character a little better I'm sure you will find the book hard to put down.

Happy reading Helen :-)
April 28, 2010 02:43AM
I've read it too. I struggled a bit with all the scientific stuff but found it very funny (almost slapstick at times). It doesn't displace The Child in Time or Saturday as my top favourite Ian McEwan's. Like Linda I am a fan.
April 28, 2010 09:16AM
Life is too short to waste time on books you don't enjoy.
April 28, 2010 11:41PM
I agree with you, Stephanie D. Try a little longer, Helen, and if it still doesn't grab you save it as a present for someone who might like it. The cover is utterly stunning don't you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 11:42PM by Stephanie T.
May 16, 2010 05:58AM
I am pleased I perservered as ended up really enjoying the book.
I did find all the science details at the beginning too technical but the story line was great. he was soooo revolting!!
May 21, 2010 10:30AM
my mother has a 100 page rule - if it's not tickling your fancy by then - it's a goner!

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.