Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Vacuum Cleaners.

Posted by marylew 
Vacuum Cleaners.
July 23, 2017 05:12AM
My daughter wants to buy a new vacuum cleaner and asked me if I know of a good brand.I don't have a clue as I am happy with mine but it is very old.Has anyone bought a new one lately that they can recommend please?
Re: Vacuum Cleaners.
July 23, 2017 06:43AM
i] Marylew there was an item on Stuff a day or so ago about a vacuum cleaner sold by Kmart for $99 that is supposedly as good as a Dyson or Kirby. I understand from the article that they sold out though. However it might be worth enquiring when another shipment is due. I have has a Miele Cat & Dog vacuum cleaner for a few years now and I am very happy with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 06:46AM by Chris.
J1
July 23, 2017 09:54AM
Perhaps make a list of what you'd like in your vacuum cleaner.

Some of the pitfalls to watch out for:
No tools (e.g. crevice cleaner)
Short cord/lead
Poor motor wattage
Small dust holder capacity
No speed variation
Noise level
No warranty or very limited

Sometimes it can really help to look at what the vacuum cleaners offer on websites such as Noel Leemings, Briscoes, Godfreys, etc. This gives you a better idea of what you can get for your money and alerts you to all the differences between vacuum cleaners that might turn out to be really important, plus gives you reviews by consumers, e.g.
[www.noelleeming.co.nz]
[www.harveynorman.co.nz]
[www.100percent.co.nz]
[www.godfreys.co.nz]

Also, if ever you need a new part for your vacuum cleaner (or many other things), this website can be very handy:
[www.needapart.co.nz]
July 24, 2017 02:14AM
I have an Electrolux that has the words "World Class Silence" emblazoned on the top and it is quiet - until you get some dust etc into it then it screams at you like a banshee. I hate it. I even tried it out in the shop, but as the shop floor was clean, nothing went into the bag. It was quiet in the shop so I bought it. Get it home and vacuum up the cat hairs and I can hardly hear myself swearing at it!

So lesson learnt: make sure next time I go to buy one, I take a paper bag full of dust and bits and pieces (out of the existing vacuum cleaner dust bag) to sprinkle on the floor to try before I buy!

Also, the other thing I hate about it is that it has tools but no onboard tool storage facility. I have to carry the 3 tools (crevice, soft furnishings and duster brush) around from room to room and it's a real pain. Where did I last leave them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 02:17AM by Lorna.
July 24, 2017 03:04AM
I have a Miele 2000w (canister type, and not cat and dog) and also a Bissell Powerforce Compact 2000w (canister type) at two different houses. I am very happy with both and have had them for at least 9 years, but if you asked me to choose between the two I would choose Miele first as I think it is a better quality machine over the Bissell. J1's list of pitfalls is good advice.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 03:32AM by Dawn.
July 24, 2017 03:26AM
I have an 8yo upright Dyson and am very happy with it. It isn't the quietest machine in the world, but that doesn't bother me. I know the upright style isn't for everyone but I personally like not having to drag a canister around behind me. Prior to this I had a different Dyson and was just as happy with that.

My mother had a Miele C3 canister style with a motorised head for several years and was very pleased with that. I recall it was definitely quieter than mine. I think Miele has a pretty good reputation in everything they do. I can't remember which C3 mum had - they seem to start at $550 and go up to $999, depending on which features you choose.
July 24, 2017 03:38AM
Opps sorry - didnt read the first post confused smiley

Check this one out!!!!
'Better than a Dyson': Cheap Kmart vacuum cleaner becomes internet success

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Cheap with rave reviews

Vanessa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 03:39AM by Vanessa45.
July 24, 2017 09:02AM
Thanks everyone.I have had a good look at your replies and Miele seems to come out on top again as far as appliances go these days.My daughter is also about to buy a new dishwasher .She had no idea of which brand to buy and I remember reading here of a member wanting to buy one not too long ago and Miele was recommended.She was happy to hear that,then asked about the vacuum cleaner.Thanks J1 for the pitfall list and the parts website that I didn't know existed,handy for mine.I will put it to her as Kmart or pay more money.
DK
July 30, 2017 06:16AM
I like researching products on an Australian website called Product Review: Product Review website. It has reviews done by the general public so it's good to see lots of different points of view.

I agree with J1, to make a list of the features that your daughter considers the most important in a vacuum cleaner because a feature that she considers vital, might not be that important to someone else. My vacuum cleaner is a Dyson cordless stick DC35 Multifloor. It wasn't cheap but it had everything I considered mandatory. I hate vacuuming, I have pets and I live in a small flat so I had very specific requirements. The small size and the cordless nature of my Dyson makes it easy to store on a wall, and manoeuvre in a small space. I can easily do my whole flat on a single charge. It has great suction and gets all the pet hair. Since my flat is small, I can easily fetch the different attachments when I need them, so on-board storage isn't important.
Anonymous User
October 03, 2018 06:38AM
marylew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My daughter wants to buy a new vacuum cleaner and
> asked me if I know of a good brand.I don't have a
> clue as I am happy with mine but it is very
> old.Has anyone bought a new one lately that they
> can recommend please?

Hi, the most reliable and worthy are Dyson and Shark brands, you could find others, feel free to check that link
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.