Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Electric Kettle

Posted by Irene Field 
Electric Kettle
June 10, 2010 08:12AM
there is a previous thread regarding noisy kettles here [www.foodlovers.co.nz] but my problem is a leaky kettle, am onto my 2nd cordless Breville and it is leaking. Needless to say I have emailed them, but I don't think I should hold my breath whilst I wait for a response.

Briscoe's have the clear glass Zip on sale - has anyone got one of these. The thread above says the Sunbeam leaks so will steer clear of those, but wondered what people have and if any leakages please? Not worried about the noise factor, just the leakage - they should design incontinence pads for kettles smiling smiley

cheers
Re: Electric Kettle
June 10, 2010 08:55AM
Irene, this is so funny. I don't have problems with leaks, my kettles stop opening, the lids just jam shut or they just stop going altogether. So at Briscoes on Saturday I went for Kambrook. Watch this space.
June 10, 2010 09:14AM
the best cordless jug I ever had, and no 2 son has it and it is still going after something like 10 years , was a cordless and they weren't clear glass but fairly see through and came in Green or Blue. No idea of the brand, but brilliant. I stooped to a Warehouse jobbie one year and that used to turn itself on - no idea if that was ghosts or a bad kettle. I would open the ranchslider coming home from work or wake up in the morning and next minute could hear the jug going. Damn decent ghost that one. And then decided that was dangerous so went to Breville No. 1 and now No. 2 and water everywhere grrrrr. I think I may go with this Zip clear glass one. So have you got your Kambrook Stephanie? What do you think?
June 10, 2010 09:27AM
I have one of those opaque cordless green ones, I bought it from Harvey Norman a few years ago, I am pretty sure it may be a Russel Hobbs. I just hope I haven't tempted fate, as I'd hate to be without it.
June 10, 2010 09:38AM
thanks Marnie, so obviously they are still being made. Will check out Harvey N's tomorrow on my travels. They were a good jug.
June 10, 2010 10:44AM
We have a reasonably new clear glass Zip from Briscoes and have found it good so far. Be careful to make sure the lid is firmly in place before you turn it on.

June 10, 2010 02:27PM
We have a Breville stainless steel one which is working very well and which is not too noisy when it's coming to the boil. Had a De Longhi one before the Breville. That one was far too noisy, it started leaking and the plastic water level indicator started breaking down.
June 10, 2010 10:58PM
I've got a Breville Stainless Steel one, had it now for nearly 8 years, no leaks. However, it is noisy when it boils but that's OK, I can hear when the water is ready for my pot of tea. The noise is a minor inconvenience in the great scheme of life.
June 11, 2010 12:23AM
We've got Breville Avance both at home and at our bach and find them a good kettle, the one here at home we've had for years, the bach one for 5 years.
D.
June 11, 2010 12:34AM
I am wary of Breville now after 2 disasters in a row.
June 11, 2010 01:04AM
I have had Russell Hobbs stainless steel for 12 years still going strong. Find it hard to keep the outside looking spotless but that is my slack polishing!
June 11, 2010 02:16AM
Irene, I have a stainless steel Sunbeam kettle about 3 years old and this has just started to leak both sides around the clear plastic water level panel - mainly when heating a cold kettle (heat expands etc etc). I plan to 'sort' it with some superglue. About 20 years ago, my beloved aluminum egg poacher sprung a tiny leak in the bottom, so I used superglue and it's still leak free! It is worth a try before you replace it and I don't think the tiny amount used would be harmful - probably, more harm in the coffee you're making!!
June 11, 2010 02:59AM
Diane, this isn't one leak. There are usually about 4 quite largish blobs of water on the base - individual ones. Which is exactly what the last one did. If it was one and I could identify the source I would try superglue, but in this case I think there are too many sad smiley
June 11, 2010 03:46AM
i have been using american home and i have it for almost 5 years now.

June 11, 2010 04:31AM
just back from a shopping jaunt and settled for the Zip clear glass jug. Watch this space.. hopefully this one lasts a tad longer . Thanks all
June 11, 2010 11:35PM
OK, Irene, I understand your caution, but were the previous Breville's you owned plastic or SS? Mine is also an Avance and no problems at all with it. It came on special as a duo with the SS toaster which is also still going strong.
June 11, 2010 11:40PM
both were SS. Actually I like the look of this Zip on the bench, because its clear glass and squatter it actually gives the illusion of taking up less space.
June 12, 2010 07:28AM
Irene my kettle is a week old and it is still working. I have changed from plastic to ss so watch this space too. We can have a race to see which one lasts the longest!
June 12, 2010 01:48PM
My Russell Hobbs I had for 40 years and was wonderful, BUT the shine was gone, so I bought a Sunbeam Ceramic kettle which I do not like at all as it is too heavy and doesn't pour very well.
I might have to get out the old Russell Hobbs again.
June 13, 2010 01:28AM
Stephanie, that will be interesting. The Great Electric Kettle Endurance Race... Kambrook vs Zip smiling smiley We will have to compare !! Hopefully if this thread is never resurrected they both endured a very long time smiling smiley
June 14, 2010 11:44AM
Irene, we have a breville.

Its plastic and brilliant. No leaks the only problem i have with it and its my own doing is that it has small removable filet in the spout and if its not in there the jug will take forever to turn off...
Its lovely and quiet, easy to clean and boils in no time..
January 29, 2013 11:58AM
We have recently bought our second clear glass Zip cordless jug not because the old one (at least 10 years old) has stopped working , but because we have set up an office kitchen and thought the home kitchen should get the new addition. I would thoroughly recommend these kettles neither has missed a beat (touch wood). What I would like to know is can you get spare parts for them? I would like to replace the lid on the old one as some of the internal plastic has gone a bit brittle and small bits are starting to break off! Does anyone know who imports them? Or carries spares?
sue
January 30, 2013 09:45AM
I am wondering how all the jugs are going after all this time
January 30, 2013 08:52PM
Am happy to report back, that in June 2010 I made the correct choice by opting for the Zip Glass Kettle. Still going strong - not one single even teeny weeny leak in sight and it has performed admirably.

Cheers
J1
January 30, 2013 09:32PM
1. Sunbeam cordless. Leaked after short time.
2. Sunbeam cordless. Replacement under warranty for above. Leaked after short time.
3. Breville. Leaked after short time.
4. Russell Hobbs. Leaked after awhile. Annoying lid, etc.

In May 2011 I bought my current kettle, a cordless Kenwood SJM110 ($130 but half price - $65 - at Briscoes) and am extremely happy with it. It has no annoying features, no leaks, and is the best, most suitable kettle I've ever owned. I love it. [www.kenwoodworld.com]
January 31, 2013 10:01PM
I'm so surprised to hear of all these leaking kettles! In 20 years, I've never had one that leaked at all. My last 3 have been Breville - first lasted 4 years but then the heating element gave up. Second (BKE590) lasted 3y and the lid opening mechanism jammed, but that was covered under warranty (I had bought an extended warranty for about $15 from Noel Leeming). That was about 6 months ago and the replacement is trotting along just fine. Boils fast and quietly and is comfortable for my rather munted wrist to operate.

[www.breville.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2013 10:04PM by Jenna.
February 02, 2013 12:57PM
I have a Russell Hobbs stainless steel electric jug and it's at least 10 years old. Oddly enough, I have had a few different sets of American guests and they are unfamiliar with an electric kettle. They boil their water in a kettle on the element. Don't know why more of us don't do that.
February 03, 2013 07:40AM
I do. I'd burn the house down. I have one of those kettles for emergencies when I have to heat water on the bbq. Good for the boat though as can't escape the piercing noise it makes when the water is boiling.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.