Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Have we lost the plot?

Posted by Ali W 
Have we lost the plot?
July 15, 2019 01:31AM
I just saw the headline of an article by a psychologist on how to cope with our team losing the cricket World Cup?

Really?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 01:32AM by Ali W.
Re: Have we lost the plot?
July 15, 2019 03:19AM
No! That's ridiculous. It's all very well taking an interest in sport, but staking your identity on it is insane.
DK
July 15, 2019 07:32AM
I can completely understand it because I only watched the final and I was devastated. I was in tears and was so glad I had taken the today off work because I don't want to talk about it. The Super Over aspect of it made this final completely unique and the play on emotions was ridiculous. It was way beyond a simple match where the winning team wins by scoring more runs. Another part of it was also the environmental aspect of staying up from 9pm to 9am for it, so being tired, then pumped with adrenalin and hope, then being completely deflated. I can only imagine the effect on those who have been following it for the whole 6 weeks.

Yes, it may seem trivial, but there is no denying the emotional effect that sport has on the people who follow it. There are statistics that show that domestic violence rates increase whenever the All Blacks lose, so I'm glad that things like this are being talked about.

When something has a deep effect on your emotions, it's not that you are staking your identity on it, but you can't deny that people feel what they feel. I think it's hugely unfair of those who don't experience the same level of emotions to be dismissive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 07:33AM by DK.
July 15, 2019 07:36AM
What I was trying to convey is at the end of the day, whilst it is professional, it is still only a game. There will always be another one, and that gives hope that the result may be different.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.