Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Extra-Special Children's Story book gift

Posted by Dawn 
Extra-Special Children's Story book gift
August 18, 2010 05:33AM
I am referring to the children's story books where the child can sit down and go through the book as they listen to your voice reading the story to them. Your voice is pre-recorded reading the story you just press a button in the book. Somewhere, but I don't know where I'm sure I've seen a NZ advertisement for these, but I now cannot bring up anything on the net that I can see is obtainable in NZ. My Grandson loves the book his Grandmother in USA sent over to him.

A couple of my friends were saying the other day that they didn't know what to send overseas to their young grandchildren for Christmas presents and I was telling them about these story books and they were very interested. Of course I can't find any NZ info to pass onto them now. Has anyone seen them in NZ please?
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 05:33AM by Dawn.
Re: Extra-Special Children's Story book gift
August 18, 2010 06:43AM
Books can be expensive to post so what about a CD. Don Linden put out a set of 3 of the old childrens (& adults) ones. eg Dianne & The Golden Apple, Robin Hood,The Laughing Policeman, Never Smile at a Crocodile, The Snow Goose. All wonderful & great in a car to keep them in line.
August 18, 2010 07:21AM
I will watch this thread with interest - it's a wonderful idea and I would love to 'do' a story for our grandchildren.
August 18, 2010 07:24AM
Is the sort of thing you mean, Dawn?
[www.penguin.co.nz]
August 18, 2010 08:13AM
Thanks Marnie, I saw that one but it's not quite what I am looking for. It's a bit difficult to describe in the Google search what I'm looking for, however, I've had another go this time not as an NZ exclusive search and have found a US website which is exactly the thing I'm looking for but in NZ. [www.funzone.net]
Regards,
Dawn.
August 18, 2010 08:22AM
Dawn, it is very easy to make your own. There is a free download called Audacity- if I can work out how to use it anybody can. You can record your own voice and burn it to CD. I use it all the time at school so children can take "me" home to do their reading with.
August 18, 2010 11:37PM
I was going to suggest something like PowerPoint that you can use to make your own story-book with pictures, animations, music and your own voice then record it to either CD or DVD. Not a book, I know, but kids will love something like that, too. Especially if it's got some personal stuff in it. Also, there's a very simple programme, downloadable free from Microsoft, call PhotoStory3. Very easy to use push-button type of thing that once again can be recorded on CD or DVD, or even just emailed as an attachment.
August 19, 2010 10:48AM
Thanks for ideas and suggestions. Recording to a CD is obviously the next best thing. I'm a lucky Nanny as our G/children live surrounding us here, but for the likes of my friends who have G/children overseas the thought of an illustrated book with Nana's voice coming out at the press of a button is quite appealing to them looking for something different.

The books obviously are not available in NZ yet - but I'm guessing they'll become available within the next 12 months or so. If anyone comes across them in NZ in the future I'd love to know.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 10:50AM by Dawn.
August 20, 2010 02:40AM
Is this the one Dawn.
[ourkidz.com.au]
August 20, 2010 06:36AM
Ooooh thank you very much Kerry, that's exactly what I was looking for. I was talking to my DIL this morning and she said the one her Mom sent to NZ was a Hallmark.

Stephanie T, if you have anyone visiting Australia you could ask them to bring some home for you - that would be the cheapest option at the moment. If the books are in Aus surely they'll be here very soon - in time for Christmas I wonder?
Thanks Kerry!
Regards,
Dawn.
August 20, 2010 07:42AM
Oh my goodness I didn't read the thread properly did I? You wanted something entirely different, sorry can't help there.
August 20, 2010 09:17AM
Yes more personalised Lyn, but nothing wrong with your suggestions! Goodness, I can even remember as a kid listening to those stories on 1ZB every Saturday(?) or Sunday(?) morning, they've been around a long time. I also remember as a kid listening to the Sankey Singers on 1ZB Sunday(?) mornings - even went to see them in the Auckland Town Hall once!
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 09:19AM by Dawn.
August 20, 2010 10:56AM
I remember Tales of Van Dieman's Land, Dad & Dave and so many others I listened to as a preschooler while we grouped around the Bake Light Radio. So young but I remember the stories vividly. Are children being deprived of using their ears now. Do they ever listen to stories on their IPods etc., or just blaring music. To this day I use my ears before my eyes and it's my ears that absorb the info more readily but I love it when my ears and eyes work together. If a had to choose though, it would be my ears.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.