Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Charge for PPE Gear

Posted by Barbara Anne 
Charge for PPE Gear
April 18, 2020 07:20AM
An acquaintance, whom I caught up with yesterday, told me that she had an emergency tooth extraction over Easter at a private dental practice.

On top of the charge for the procedure, she was charged $110 for the dentist's PPE gear. I thought that was odd - I thought that the government supplied that kit, or is that just to the public sector?

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
Re: Charge for PPE Gear
April 18, 2020 08:31AM
Holy cow. Dentists are expensive already and to add that on top.

I've gone a quick enquiry on my local FB group to see if others have experienced the same. Bearing in mind that even in non-Covid times, dentists and dental assistants wear gloves, masks and visors already.

One response I've had so far is that the proper gowns are $16 each. That's a lot for a single use item, for sure.

It would seem a lot more appropriate (not to mention transparent, in these difficult times) for the practice to charge per item. 2 x gown @ $16ea, 1 x room sanitising @ $35 etc.

They shouldn't be charging for items they'd already be using, such as gloves, mask etc.

This does not sit well with me, Barbara Anne. Has your friend considered approaching the practice for an explanation? If so, and a decent one isn't given, I'd like to thing she may consider reporting to the govt price gouging email.
April 18, 2020 10:38AM
I suspect that many dental treatments involve techniques that may result in aerolisation of particles, therefore requiring one of the super flash N95 (?) masks, and also properly fitted goggles, so there is likely cost involved in that. Private dentists are exactly that, so I'd expect them to pass on costs.
April 18, 2020 11:52AM
Absolutely, Griz. So long as they are only passing on cost. And in that case, the costs should be crystal clear, not a bulk charge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.