Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Why do I have to keep logging in?

Posted by Tootsie 
Why do I have to keep logging in?
April 11, 2011 04:57AM
This is driving me mad or 'doin' me 'ead in 'as the new saying which I loathe goes!We had trouble last week when the plumber who was laying new drains accidentally cut through my telephone line.He came back with an electrician who repaired it and went away.Next day,no telephone and broadband slower than the slowest dial up you can imagine.Back they came dug up the cable again but couldn't find the cause,went away.Sat afternoon,lovely man from Chorus came on behalf of Slingshot and searched for a couple of hours before finding the fault up in the loft.A wire was touching a down light and had burnt away the insulation.Completely nothing to do with broken cable outside.How's that for a coincidence? Anyway now computer running brilliantly,phone ditto but another problem.I have to log in everytime I go to Foodlovers and Facebook.I have clicked 'remember me'but it doesn't! I have both on my favourites as was once told that helps[but it hasn't].It is so annoying as when I come to send a post to Foodlovers and then realise I can't until I log in.What is the answer experts out there...please.
J1
Re: Why do I have to keep logging in?
April 11, 2011 05:25AM
Hmmm, sounds like your computer's no longer remembering cookies. Try going into Tools, choose Internet Options, under the General tab, make sure the box for "Delete browsing history on exit" isn't ticked.

Also under the same Internet Options, under the Privacy tab, make sure your settings bar isn't on high, which will block all cookies. Cookies are read by websites, to remember your log-in details. Put your bar setting on medium or medium high, which will block some cookies but not the important ones you need.
April 11, 2011 06:08AM
I have just had the same problem,haven't had to log in for ages until today.I inadvertantly re registered instead of logging in again!Checked my internet options & all ok.It has happened to other pages I visit as well today!Weird!!!
April 11, 2011 06:30AM
I was thinking along the same lines as J1, that your cookies are not being saved. It could be your settings, as suggested. It may also be your AV/Anti Spyware blocking the cookies. My husband has his computer set up so that each time he logs out of a site or off, the cookies are deleted.
Occasionally he cannot remember his sign in name for certain sites that he may not use often, but I am not going there.
What happens if you choose a different browser?

April 11, 2011 07:17AM
Clever girls! I knew you would have the answer.The trouble is I have never been taught anything about the computer,just muddled along making mistakes[sometimes the best but most expensive way]When the boys were living at home I would ask them to sort something out but instead of showing me they just did it and moved on.I didn't learn anything.Now I know where to look if the problem arises again.I did clear my cookies last week to try to speed the jolly thing up so thats where the problem lay.Thank you for your help all of you.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.