Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

The $1.4 million elephant dilemma.

Posted by helen 
The $1.4 million elephant dilemma.
June 07, 2012 01:05AM
As I read about the $1.4 million required to raise funds to get Mila the elephant cared for and relocated to an elephant sanctuary I then think about kids in NZ with not enough to eat, the charities where $1.4 million could help loats of families at risk due to illness and death and then wonder whether raising that amount on one elephant should be a priority.
I don't know the answer but it does seem like a huge amount of money.
Your thoughts?
J1
Re: The $1.4 million elephant dilemma.
June 07, 2012 02:03AM
I wish they'd give us a running total of the amount raised so far. Apparently they need it by 10 June.
June 07, 2012 03:23AM
Helen, I thought the same thing when all that money was spent on that penguin whose name I can't even remember now and more than likely it became dinner for a hungry seal! Sometimes I despair about our priorities.
June 07, 2012 05:24AM
I would vote for the children rather than the elephant sorry....
June 07, 2012 06:49AM
Yes Lucy I agree, sometimes we let emotion get in the way of making sensible choices.
When I look at some of our Guardian Angels families who are trying to cope with a terminally ill child and really stressed about making ends meet, I just cannot fathom $1.4million on relocating one elephant.
Of course I feel sorry for her and wish they had been able to get her to a sanctuary but there is a point where the amount just becomes too great.
June 08, 2012 01:51AM
It's a tough one- but I suspect people will give more readily to the elephant than anything for people. We're funny like that. Tough as it is though, African Elephants -as a species- are doing OK these days. The loss of one, well past breeding age individual will be of no consequence to the species over all. If she was a tiger, or a kakapo, different story- there is no amount too great when it comes to preserving a species, but in this case, euthanasia might be the better option.
June 08, 2012 02:49AM
Why pick on the elephants though? what gets me is how people choose to spend the millions they have over and above the millions they already have - there are more than one or two massive palaces on Waiheke that remain empty 98% of the time - and we are talking palaces worth more than ten million each - lots of them, that are all maintained and staffed throughout the year - and these are not even their main place of residence - and on the other hand - families crammed into uninsulated hovels, with barely enough to eat.....

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
June 08, 2012 03:56AM
Some have a more social conscience and those people deserve a whole lot more recognition than they get. Even though they would never seek that publicity.
Although a lot of the different attitudes can come back as to how they were raised, it is not always the case.
June 08, 2012 06:07AM
I'm not saying these people don't have a social conscience, some of my best friends are wealthy, and I am sure these people donate time or money or both to charities or do good works, I am just unsure why some people need many palaces dotted around the country and the world - and as we become more aware of the glaring gaps in society, these empty monuments seem almost obscene in their opulence - although my point may actually be that these people are entitled to spend their money as they see fit, as are the people who seek to give that poor elephant as decent a life as they can....

June 08, 2012 07:46AM
At least if they have staff they are employing people.....
We seem to be moving into a time of greater inequity Perhaps the period from the second world war through to the end of the 20th Century was unusual as there was greater equity...(at least in the Western world).
June 08, 2012 07:50AM
I know, many on the island are employed as gardeners, housekeepers, caterers etc....

June 08, 2012 08:13AM
Oh dear, Lynley. It was just that my post appeared directly below yours. I should have been more specific. I had been thinking of Helen's Guardian Angels families being so much in need in comparison to money being needed regarding the elephant.
I know there are also wealthy people who quietly donate to causes and create working opportunities.
The quiet good news stories seldom make the headlines.
To quote Lisa, we need those 'warm fuzzies'.
June 08, 2012 10:47AM
very true smiling smiley

June 10, 2012 12:57PM
The money is not going where it needs too.
The elephant can go to Hamilton or wellington zoo not overseas. I say look after our own babies in our own country.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.