Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bed problems

Posted by helen 
Bed problems
May 10, 2015 06:54AM
We bought a new bed in December 2012.
It wasn't top of the range but it was $4000 for a king size bed so I would expect good sleeping for many years on it.
We rotate the mattress as the seasons change but even with that we have got a problem that on Ed's side of the bed the mattress is collapsing and you feel as though you are rolling off the bed,
Ed is a strong build and weighs about 107kg but surely there are lots of men who weigh that.
I have switched to his side of the bed to try and balance things out with his weight now on my side but it is awful, I feel as though I am going to roll out of bed. Maybe not that dramatic but it is certainly not comfortable.
Having owned the bed for 2 1/2 years do you think we have any grounds to complain or is it likely to be just bad luck?

thanks

Helen
Re: Bed problems
May 10, 2015 07:14AM
That doesn't sound acceptable Helen. Our king size bed is about ten years old, a Sealy Posturepedic that cost about $4000 so not top of the range by any means. It is as good as the day we bought it, with absolutely no uneveness, let alone collapse.

I wouldn't have thought that 107kg was heavy enough to need special reinforcing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 07:14AM by TPANDAV.
May 10, 2015 08:03AM
No nor me and Ed is feeling quite sensitive about it smiling smiley .

I will call Farmers tomorrow and see how I go.
Uneven may be a fairer term than collapse but whoever lies on that side of the bed is certainly on a slope.
May 10, 2015 08:30AM
I agree with TPANDAV. we slept on a Sealy for a long time with no problems.For some reason that I now can't remember we decided to buy a Sleepyhead. It is very comfortable but on my Husbands side he made a big hollow being heavier than Eds weight.That happened within twelve months of us sleeping on it.I am going to replace it with I think at this stage another Sealy.I would like other members advice also because It does involve a great expense that we all need to get .
May 10, 2015 09:09AM
My husband is also a big man, 6'3.5" and about 120kg. One bed we owned many years ago did not stand up to his size and developed quite a dent. We contacted the mfr and were pointed to a clause in the warranty that effectively said that dents were normal wear and tear, and anything less than a 3" sag wasn't considered a failure of the product. At the time, we then investigated other bed mfrs and they all pretty much said the same thing. That was about 15 years ago though, but I doubt much has changed.

We currently have a 6 year old Sleepyhead, it is a super king and cost in the realm of $4k I think. Like most others it has sagged some even though we rotate the mattress regularly. Our last bed was quite a high end Sealy, and that too sagged.. but not in a bothersome way.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for you to contact the mfr and see what they have to say.
May 10, 2015 09:46AM
Hi Helen

I would contact Farmers explaining what has happened. Make sure you tell them you rotate the mattress regularly as that is what they will expect you to have done. There is a body indentation tolerance they do not cover (I think it is about 4cm).
Any bed with a pillow top (if your's has one) will settle into your body shape. This is different from it actually collapsing. I don't think you should feel as if you are falling off the bed. Insist on a rep coming to inspect the bed.
Farmers have a customer service number 0800 327 637. They should refer this to Sleepyhead.
You should have a warranty of 10 years on a bed of that age and price.
Good luck.
May 11, 2015 01:18AM
My partner is 6'4" and currently 110 ks - We have a slat bed (I can't abide beds that have to wear skirts!) and we turn (not over) the mattress each time we change the sheets. We bought a slightly softer mattress than the original 100% latex one 7 years ago and it is fine - no indentation or slope. As far as I can remember the slats on his side were adjusted differently to allow for the discrepancy in weight.
May 11, 2015 09:32AM
Stephanie I also have a slat bed in my house and the mattress is too firm. I am wanting to put a more comfortable mattress on this bed can you advise me on which one to buy? I don't want to get rid of the bed because the it is a good looking piece of furniture but bad backs all round.
May 11, 2015 11:39AM
When we stay at our daughters place we sleep on a slat bed. We spent 3 months there 2 yrs ago to help with calving and I found the slat bed soooo hard and had a sore back. In frustration I went to para and bought foam to put on top of the mattress (it was a honeycomb one). What a difference. Definately sleep better now.
Helen, I would definately contact the manufacture about the mattress.
May 11, 2015 12:38PM
Thanks everyone, great advice and I will phone them in the morning.
May 11, 2015 10:36PM
Our second mattress was made by the same company as the first: Design M. I think they had 3 or 4 choices. Worth checking out at a store MaryLew...they are usually very accommodating, even allowing home trials. I can't remember details of the one we chose (there is still a proportion of latex) but it is very comfortable.
Have now looked online...the mattress we got must be the Active 100. I will check later on but I might have zipped an extra layer of foam inside the cover! I see the frames are no longer made, but the mattresses are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 11:24PM by Stephanie T.
May 12, 2015 06:46AM
Thanks very much ladies all appreciated
May 26, 2015 05:44AM
An update on this.
I contacted Sleepyhead who asked that we place a broomstick across the bed and photograph it so they could see if there were dents that were deeper than 3.5cm. This I have done and have sent photos in and now awaiting a response.
It is such a nuisance that beds could be this complicated - I had no idea.
July 28, 2015 11:33AM
We too have had this problem - our bed is nearing 9 years old, so maybe due for a replacement anyway. As another thought too, I'm amazed at the price of beds though, even when this one of ours was about $3500. I am about 95 kg & have noticed from soon after we got the bed that there is a distinct dent on my side of our bed - initially I thought this was only because I used to sleep on the absolute edge of the bed - so consequently there is quite a "hill" in the middle of our bed smiling smiley But hate it, & would love a comfy bed that supported my sore back, probably made worse by an uncomfortable sleep.
My question though for you knowledgeable ones is where do you dispose of these beds - surely if we are all finding mattresses are are uncomfortable or with huge lumps in the middle, no-one else will buy them - plus stores very rarely offer trade-in deals - so difficult (& expensive) to dump or give away. TIA
July 28, 2015 12:27PM
Hi Mantilla
So long as your bed is clean and potentially suitable to sell there are plenty of charities who are willing to collect them. There are plenty of people who are sleeping on the floor or foam mattresses etc. What you may think is of no use to anyone, you will find is very much appreciated by many people.
Some charities have second hand stores and will sell them, but charities such as Women's Refuge are always grateful for beds as women who go to them usually walk out with only the clothes on their back.
It is certainly worth contacting a few to see what they say.
July 31, 2015 03:51AM
YES YES YES.....Beds should last a lot longer than that.

The consumer act actually covers us for a lot longer than the usual warranties.

A bed we got a few years earlier has done a similar thing (on my big blokes side of the bed) however we can't turn the mattress over, as it has a pillow top - I've turned it around but the same thing has happened.

However I think our bed is 6 years old - although I would expect a bed to last 10years these days?

Back in the day, beds lasted a lifetime!
July 31, 2015 03:59AM
That's why I won't buy a pillow-top ever again...........they'll only go around and not over and around. But, surely there must be a mattress manufactured to better take the weight of larger people? Although mattresses are never advertised as being recommended for heavier people as such (as far as I know).
Regards,
Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.