Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Strange...............

Posted by Dawn 
Strange...............
January 29, 2016 02:27AM
...............there's been a distinct lack of flies this summer (so far), but I don't know why. Anyone else agree?
Regards,
Dawn.
Re: Strange...............
January 29, 2016 02:48AM
They are all at my house! We've been driven mad by the flies this year, I really need to get insect screens sorted. Do you live in a cooler part of the country? I'm in the Wairarapa, where it has been warm and moist.
January 29, 2016 03:14AM
We've got more flies than usual - little active things that I think are called compost flies. They are very persistent and good at getting under fly covers. They are driving me mad.
Bev
January 29, 2016 06:15AM
We seem to have more flies than last summer at our place, they drive me nuts!!
J1
January 29, 2016 09:32AM
I'm in flyscreen heaven here... smiling bouncing smiley
January 29, 2016 05:28PM
Me too had flies everywhere, forever cleaning ceiling & light fittings. Ohr compost bin is probably too close to our house so might get hubby to rethink it's positioning,. We are in Orewa area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 05:29PM by Lyn V.
January 30, 2016 04:07AM
I've always known there are no flies on you, Dawn. winking smiley

We have flyscreens over most windows and doorways but are still trying to get replacements for some in the lounge that no longer fitted once we had double glazing fitted. The few that do get in are doomed, anyway.
January 30, 2016 05:57AM
Well, I am surprised I'm the only person to notice lack of flies - even my husband notices it!

So it's still a mystery to us, unless...............when I was waiving my magic wand to rid the jolly ants it was the flies that got the message because the ants are still here! Sorry you folk further down the line, I didn't mean them all to end up at your places! We live in North Auckland, almost opposite Lyn V at Orewa, but on the western coast and it has been very hot and humid here. We don't have fly screens, I do use a fly spray dispenser during the day, but I've always had that. Maybe they don't like the smell of the exterior paint which has been going on here? Otherwise I'm baffled, especially as we live on a farm.

Marnie I laughed at your comment! Whenever I can prove to my husband I'm smarter than him (which is not very often!) and I boast there's no flies on me, he always tells me he can see where they've been. grinning smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
January 31, 2016 01:13AM
Not many flies here in Rotorua. But we did set up 2 automatic sprayers that go off every few minutes. Maybe they don't even come into the house with those things going. Whatever works suits me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 01:13AM by Ali W.
January 31, 2016 04:26AM
I've always had a fly spray auto dispenser and although they do make a difference I have found in the past the flies still come in and buzz around before they decide to buzz off again - nothing like that this year though! Maybe next month when I process my tomatoes those niggly little house flies will arrive TPANDAV mentioned - nothing seems to deter them! No ants so far today either, but yesterday I gave them a wee drink of Ant 'Gin' on the windowsill and they will have taken that back to the nest to share with the others

I had the sprinkler going all night on the vege garden and this moring when I went out to shift it a lovely bright green frog jumped out from under the sweet basil bushes and jumped along to my rhubarb and sat there under a leaf staring out at me! What a lovely sight! I bet he enjoyed his all night bathe.
Regards,
Dawn.
PS We've had quite a thunderous downpour this afternoon and I still had the sprinkler going!
February 01, 2016 03:49AM
Dawn, at our Mount house I haven't seen an ant or a cockroach since before November, haven't sprayed or done anything different. Usually they only need to hear us arrive from Auckland and the welcoming party starts.
February 01, 2016 11:39PM
Stephanie, maybe there is a lot more airflow abounding at the Mount with so much sea water surrounding it that helps keep the flies at bay and they all stay in Auckland? The flies know there's a lot more people to annoy in Auckland!

February 02, 2016 12:16AM
Flies aplenty in my house and the flies at Narrows Camp (near Hamilton) over the weekend were appalling....
Lucky you Dawn.
February 02, 2016 09:30AM
In central Auckland and am seeing fewer, but I cleaned down the kitchen in between xmas and new year, scrubbed floor and cabinetry etc and had put it down to that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.