Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Virgil

Posted by helen 
Virgil
February 01, 2016 08:12AM
For those of you who remember back to Virgil's written contributions on foodlovers, it is with a heavy heart that I let you know that for the past few years he has been living with cancer and is now unable to have any more treatment.
Virgil moved on from foodlovers to writing for NZ Gardener, his knowledge and interest in plants was always a joy to follow.
Charlotte is wanting to put together copies of Virgil's writing for their girls to treasure as they grow.
I will copy these from foodlovers and pass them on to her.

kindest,
Helen
Re: Virgil
February 01, 2016 10:30AM
I am so sad to read this, Helen. His writing and knowledge have given so much pleasure to so many people. Very unhappy news.
February 01, 2016 07:25PM
From time to time I would ask about Virgil on the forum and he would pop up again. He seems such an interesting man with very diverse knowledge.

Thank you for sharing this news.
February 01, 2016 08:46PM
Yes, I remember Virgil well, and remember meeting him at your home, Helen, when we had one of our Foodlovers lunches there. I have a couple of photos, one of Charlotte & Zeetra and one of Virgil & Irene. Not very good, but Charlotte may like to have them as a memory of that day. I can email them to you to pass on to her, if you like. Are you still with ihug? If I send them to you, you can decide if they are the sort of thing that Charlotte might like to have.
February 01, 2016 09:48PM
I am so sorry to learn Virgil is ill. We are so lucky to have had his knowledgable input here on Foodlovers cooking and gardening forums and I know I learnt a lot from the information and comments he gave.
Regards,
Dawn.
February 01, 2016 10:19PM
Extremely sad news... It just shows that we should not sweat the small stuff and make the most of every minute we have here
February 01, 2016 10:43PM
Lorna I am sure Charlotte would love to see any photos as will the girls as they grow.
My email is helen@foodlovers.co.nz
February 02, 2016 01:53AM
That is such incredibly sad news. His knowledge and his willingness to share it is something that I will always remember.
February 02, 2016 06:09AM
Virgil was a literal fountain of knowledge and it i so sad to hear this news. Our love and thoughts go out to his wife and family at this time.
Helen B.
February 02, 2016 07:52AM
This is just so sad.
February 02, 2016 11:10AM
I am so sorry to read that Virgil has been ill for some time. I remember him well from this site and also from the garden magazine. Best wishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 11:10AM by Chris.
Bev
February 04, 2016 01:01AM
That is such sad news. Virgil posts and blogs were always so interesting and his knowledge on the topics was outstanding. I was just reading an old post of his prior to Christmas. Our thoughts are with him and his family during this tough time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 01:02AM by Bev.
February 04, 2016 11:42AM
I use many of Virgil's recipes. A generous man who shared his knowledge. This is a sad time.
February 05, 2016 02:32AM
A family member has set up a givealittle page for the family, Charlotte is currently unable to work as obviously her place is at home with Virgil and the girls (aged 1 and 5).
I don't mean to be presumptuous but often people donate to complete strangers so If anyone is interested in donating, the page is here Evetts/Perry Givealittle
February 05, 2016 04:07AM
I am very sad to hear that Helen. I followed Virgil on Facebook and enjoyed his writing in NZ Gardener as well.
Cruel indeed.
Thanks
Sally
February 06, 2016 09:00AM
That is very sad news, our love and thoughts go out to his wife and family at this time.
February 06, 2016 10:08PM
So sad to read this. I enjoyed the contributions Virgil made here on Foodlovers and in the NZ Gardner very much.
February 08, 2016 12:07AM
Sad news indeed. I always looked forward to reading Virgil's postings. My thoughts go out to his family.
February 18, 2016 02:33AM
I too am so sorry to read this. Virgil has always been a joy to read and his Swedish Meatballs are a firm favourite in this house.
February 25, 2016 09:08AM
I am so sorry to hear this news - I also read his Foodlovers blogs and posts with interest, and appreciated his expert knowledge, his enthusiasm and his willingness to share.

Such a sad time for his wife and children, and the rest of his family.
March 13, 2016 04:26AM
Virgil passed away this morning, he leaves behind his wife Charlotte and two little girls, Olive and Violet.
Such a terribly sad time for them.
March 13, 2016 07:34AM
Thank you for passing that on, Helen.
My deepest condolences to his family. It is so sad to lose a person such as Virgil.
March 13, 2016 08:38AM
Sad news indeed. My condolences to his wife and little girls.
March 13, 2016 08:47AM
My deepest sympathy goes out to his wife and children. So sad for one who's zest for life in terms of cooking, gardening and travel was shared with so many other people.

Rest in peace Virgil.
Dawn.
March 13, 2016 10:03AM
So sad to hear the news. My condolences to his wife and children.
March 13, 2016 10:27AM
My heartfelt condolences to Virgil's family.
March 13, 2016 09:47PM
My sincere condolences to Charlotte and the little girls. Virgil was a much valued member of the Foodlovers Family and will be remembered fondly.
March 14, 2016 01:51AM
That is very sad news Helen. Cruel news. My condolences to his famly.
Bev
March 14, 2016 02:16AM
Very sad news. My sincere condolences to his family.
March 14, 2016 12:07PM
Such sad news, our thoughts are with his family.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.