Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Best prices for food storage containers

Posted by Chrisd 
Best prices for food storage containers
March 09, 2016 12:56AM
I want to have a go at preparing more meals in advance and freezing them. What's my best option for 1L storage containers? I like the sistema ones but they are costly when not on sale.
Re: Best prices for food storage containers
March 09, 2016 01:07AM
Do you have access to Gilmore's ? They have a huge range of very cheap plastic storage containers.
March 09, 2016 02:26AM
It would depend if you're wanting to reuse them many times or not. If not, I agree with TPANDAV that the takeaway style containers from Gilmours/Moore Wilsons are great. But the ones I've had at least don't seem to last through many freezing/thawing/washing cycles.

I now have a stack of the small square Sistema containers that I've bought when they're half price.

If you're wanting something midway between the two - I think the newer style of GladWare containers are quite good. I used to use the older ones with blue lids for freezing lunches for my husband, but much like the takeaway containers, they ended up becoming brittle and breaking.. but it did take quite a bit longer than the others. However, I do use the new range (different coloured lids for different sizes.. green, blue, purple etc) for freezing other bits and bobs as they fit in my fridge/freezer better than the sistema boxes that go in the deep freeze. I use the mid-size rectangle with a green lid and they definitely seem to last longer than the older blue lid style.
March 09, 2016 09:42PM
For my winter soups, and I make plenty in various flavours, I re-use the .......wait for it....... Jimbo cat food containers. They are very well made, strengthened and rigid, with well fitting lids that don't come off easily. The smaller size is ideal for one serving of lunchtime soup and the larger size is great for the casseroles that I make enough of to last 3 or 4 days. They go through the dishwasher no problem.

I also save the take-away containers after I've had the rare Chinese takeaway meal, or the lidded containers that fresh food comes in from the delicatessen. If I run out of those, we've got a couple of "$2 Shop" style shops here that sell the smallish rectangular lidded freezer containers for about $2.50 for 10.
March 10, 2016 08:51AM
While not a container, snaplock bags are quite good. A portion or two in each bag. I find these good when you cant fill a container as you can squeeze the air out, whereas with container if its not fill, air gets trapped in.
March 10, 2016 10:04AM
Some handy ideas, thanks everyone! The cat food one made me laugh but that's a smart one when you think about it.
I think i'll go with the snaplocks for now and wait till the sistemas go on sale somewhere.
J1
March 14, 2016 12:11AM
Same as Plates almost - I just use plastic bags with twist ties.
March 21, 2016 02:37AM
I use ZIP lock bags from Pak n Save - rather than snap lock.
Sistema is often on special at the Warehouse so can be reasonable.
I hate having lots of containers with missing lids and also dont like the fact that they dont dry well in the dishwasher.
Reusable though...
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.