Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Suggestions for a winter weekend away

Posted by IngridO 
Suggestions for a winter weekend away
June 20, 2016 11:21AM
Anyone got suggestions for a wintery weekend away with a few girlfriends

Would be leaving from Auckland but could fly or drive

This group loves walking, good food and wine, nothing too physical required for this weekend - just somewhere to catch up for a school friend reunion.
Re: Suggestions for a winter weekend away
June 20, 2016 11:30AM
Queenstown?
D.
June 20, 2016 02:24PM
Just had fantastic long weekend in Hanmer Springs. The days were beautiful & sunny, had fun wandering around the lovely shops, had plenty of laughs playing mini golf and then strolling through forestry walks, the nights were freezing but fabulous trying out some of the stunning restaurants. Could highly recommend Fire & Ice, Eden & the Montieths Bar. Sadly never made it to the hot pools due to too many people, but there's always next time (dont forget the massage).
Then of course there is Kaikoura, great views of snow & sea, with beach walks, some cool apartments or holiday homes for rent. Always something to do & explore.
And who could forget Blenheim...sunniest spot in the country (officially ) wine, farmers market, wine, a great array of restaurants etc, gourmet chocolate, some lovely shops all within an hour ten minutes from airport to airport. Did I mention the wine? Who could dispute spending an afternoon lunching in front of an open fire tasting great wine and sampling some of the regions finest local fare?
Just a thought!
June 20, 2016 11:39PM
If you want to maximise your time relaxing and not travelling I would suggest Waiheke or the Matakana area. Ideal for a long weekend. You could also go to the Barrier although it could get a bit rough if you take the ferry.
June 21, 2016 02:00AM
Bay of Islands? An oft forgotten part of NZ but only three and a bit hours drive from Auckland or fly into the Kerikeri Airport. Relatively warm (especially so far this winter). Do as much or as little as you like - there's something for everyone. Cruise the bay (full day or half day), take the coach to Cape Reinga, enjoy great food and wine, lovely scenic walks (both coastal and inland), Waitangi Treaty grounds (Birthplace of the Nation) and newly opened museum adjacent and an excellent golf course just up the road from there. There's a day spa for a bit of pampering and a couple of good markets, plus some great day road trips to the west coast and further north.. Worth thinking about.

Reading this again, I realise it sounds like a promotional spiel - no I don't run a booking office and I'm not a travel agent - I just happen to live here.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 03:59AM by Barbara Anne.
June 27, 2016 04:34AM
Coromandel Peninsula is lovely...Book a Bach. If you stay somewhere like Whangamata you can dine out, otherwise cook your own gourmet feasts.

Raglan is also worth considering.

Or Rotorua.
June 27, 2016 07:55AM
Or Mount Maunganui
June 30, 2016 06:31AM
Barbara Anne : You sounded knowledgeable rather than travel agent - however if your looking for a new career...you may have just found it!

Bay of Islands sounds wonderful - The last time I went up there (years back), we stayed at the Copthorne by the Treaty grounds and the pools were great, the views wonderful and the service was good too.

a few ideas to think about - Thanks folks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.