Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Recommendations for oven cleaner

Posted by IngridO 
Recommendations for oven cleaner
June 28, 2016 10:38PM
My 1 year old Smeg Oven has just been cleaned, however rather than being sparkly and new, it still has black marks on the trays and sides of the oven - no amount of oven cleaner seems to get rid of them.

I've tried to scrub the trays with a steelo pad which removed a few small bits but I'm having no luck

Any recommendations for oven cleaning products?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 10:39PM by IngridO.
Re: Recommendations for oven cleaner
June 28, 2016 11:53PM
I use Easy Off, and that seems to do the trick. Those black marks on the racks can be hard to shift though, especially once they've been there a while. I'm assuming the oven doesn't have a self cleaning cycle?
June 29, 2016 01:11AM
I have a man who comes to our home a couple of times a year and blasts the dirt off my oven.
He is so reasonable that I wouldn't even think of doing it again myself.
He doesn't appear to use chemicals as there are no nasty smells at all, he furiously scrubs and also takes parts outside to blast with a high pressure steam cleaner.
His business is The Oven Guy.
June 29, 2016 02:26AM
Oooo, what a great service. I never knew something like that existed! Great for people like my sister in law whose asthma is triggered by oven cleaner (or rather, great for my brother who currently has to clean the oven ;-) )
June 29, 2016 11:52AM
I like the idea of The Oven Guy - I've spent the last 2 days cleaning!

Jenna: No it doesn't have a self cleaning cycle, but I seriously wished I had thought about it at the time. I can't say this Oven has been my best buy. The seal is already in need of replacing (its still under warranty so thats ok) but it doesn't seem to crisp food up that well, like oven baked chips. It keep food moist and succulent and takes forever to grill.

Maybe its operator error!!
June 30, 2016 08:27AM
Have you tried checking the accuracy of the oven thermometer?
June 30, 2016 11:18AM
Ingrid, my understanding of European designed/manufactured ovens is that they are designed for the European style of cooking ie requiring a humid,moist environment as opposed to the Kiwi crispy, roasting, grilling style.

As such they don't vent to the outside but rather recirculate the moist air. In line with that they tend to have a much smaller internal capacity than say an F & P.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 11:18AM by Barbara Anne.
July 03, 2016 11:26PM
Barbara Anne: I had no idea about that - thanks for enlightening me. It never occurred to me they would be different, I just opted for a good brand name thinking that equals quality.

I'm going to ring the SMEG technology person today - I'll let you all know the outcome.
July 04, 2016 02:11AM
I think that was perhaps more the case in years past. I bought a Series 8 Bosch oven 3 months ago and have been very pleased with it in terms of crispy items and even baking. It was a very difficult to decide between an Australian Electrolux and a Bosch though. It ended up I was in the store when a Bosch rep was there and he convinced me that in the Series 8 range they had addressed the hot spots that were an issue with previous models. The hot spots were the reason I had long said I would never choose a Bosch oven... but they really do seem to have dealt with it. The internal size is good enough too.. I have a large cast iron casserole and large roasting dishes and they all fit in and with room for a second tray of something else. To check on that though I did haul all my commonly used oven items to the shop to make sure they did fit in the combinations that I use them in! Felt a bit silly, but heck, its a lot of money and a very well used item.

Good idea to talk with the rep - it is possible there is a fault with yours. If you grumble loud enough they may do something more - no decent company likes to have a loud unhappy customer out there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.