Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

SERIOUS Downsizing

Posted by Vanessa45 
SERIOUS Downsizing
July 27, 2016 03:27AM
Has anyone moved from a large house to a small apartment?
I have recently moved from a large villa to a 66 square metre apartment and needed to do a SERIOUS cull of my belongings.

Im after clever ideas for storage and living in a smaller space with my 2 kids.

We have a storage cupboard outside, washing and dryer in a large cupboard with shelving above and a hotter cylinder with minimal room for shelves.

The kitchen and lounge is in one room. We have a balcony but no outdoor grass area.

As tight as it sounds its working well for us as we are closer to work and school and loving the warm environment. We haven't even needed our heater yet!

Vanessa
Re: SERIOUS Downsizing
July 27, 2016 08:53AM
As much as possible attached to the wall, tv, wifi, phone chargers etc. Hooks for bags and coats against wall or in cupboard. Kitchen, much the same concept, microwave on the wall.....also while it might seem extreme, they are space hoggers.....could you manage without one? The biggest thing thats a godsend and organised wardrobes. If they are not already or done well, you can buy wardrobe organiser shelves and do your own. Did both wardrobes for under 1K.
July 28, 2016 01:13AM
I use my microwave a lot however its attached to the wall via a shelf so that actually works well.
The wardrobe doesn't have organisers but is quite spacious in the master BR so will look into that. The other room has a small cubby wardrobe but to be honest the kids don't need all the clothes they have.
The study that I'm using as bedroom #3 has nothing, its the size of 2 single beds so will need something for clothes - Shelves on the wall would be best so we still have some floor space.
Vanessa
July 28, 2016 02:11AM
We had this townhouse before we sold our larger home in a different town. When we decided to move here permanently we had to make decisions on what we wanted to keep and had to do it fast, as our larger home sold within a very short space of time. Looking back, I'd have liked more time to think really hard about it but you do what you have to do.

Check in all your cupboards and wardrobes and see if there is a lot of top space that is otherwise wasted. We added shelves above the clothing rail, I bought baskets that were easy to lift down where I store folded and rolled heavier jerseys, bags and an assortment of other things that I don't use everyday. The lower half we used the organisers that Plates mentioned.

Some pantries have room for another shelf to be added. My pantry doors have inners like this:
[www.google.co.nz]
They are invaluable in my small kitchen.

Laundry: We added shelves in there.

Downstairs we have a room between the foyer and the garage. When we had a kitchen remodelled we installed the old units in there and painted them the same colour as the walls. In the same room we had a movable rack made for under the stairs. Our luggage and travel bags are stored there.

Congratulations on getting a place that seems right for you.
July 29, 2016 10:22PM
Marnie, I love your pantry doors. I've got a very deep pantry with a lot of space between the double doors and the shelves so I have been thinking of buying some of those wire baskets to hang inside the doors as spice and small packet shelves. I like the look of the wooden ones, they look so much smarter. Might have to go and visit my friendly cabinet maker and get a quote.
July 30, 2016 01:23AM
Also, a lazy susan , turntable type gadget in the corner cupboard in the kitchen is quite good as well.
September 14, 2016 01:43PM
What sort of baskets do you use above the wardrobe rail, Marnie? This sounds a good idea, as on my shelves I 'lose' things that get pushed to the back of the shelves, and as the shelves are high up, I need to stand on a chair to see what's there.
September 18, 2016 02:50AM
Apologies karena, I only just noticed your question. I measured up and went to various stores where they sell plastic containers. I needed those deep enough to hold 2 or 3 reasonably thick jerseys and sweatshirts rolled up. They are light but sturdy and I can see through the slots exactly what is in there. I am just under 160 cms tall but it is relatively easy for me to reach up and pull whichever basket I need down.
September 20, 2016 10:17AM
Thanks for this, Marnie. I'm thinking that it would be a good opportunity for me to get rid of a few garments that I never wear at the same time!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.