Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Vegan-ism

Posted by helen 
Vegan-ism
January 06, 2017 11:44PM
I read an interesting news article last week on what would happen if we all gave up meat/dairy and it started me thinking.
My soon to be 21 year old step-daughter has a vegan lifestyle and while I eat eggs and dairy I choose to eat meat sometimes but not always.
But if we all suddenly agreed with the likes of SAFE and adopted a vegan lifestyle then surely all of the animals that we take as common place would disappear.
How would we feed our carnivorous pets if we didn't kill animals and then what would happen to all of the farm animals that are theree because we rely on them for food? How would we control breeding or would they just all disappear as there wouldn't be a need for the?
If people who are vegan do it for animal welfare and refuse to wear leather etc... then surely they shouldn't have cats or dogs either.

I know this is ludicrous as it isn't going to happen but when I read the very forceful adverts for SAFE I am curious as to what they really think would happen if we all started living their way.

Your thoughts?
Re: Vegan-ism
January 07, 2017 12:36AM
I just had a vegan friend call in and I asked her how vegans have carnivorous pets and she said that they feed them vegan pet food.....
January 07, 2017 05:47AM
You should read 'the vegetarian myth" -lierre keith is the author I think.

Its fine when you have age on your side, but as you get older and find you have to take more and more supplements you do realise its hard to sustain

Speaking from experience a vegetarian/vegan diet is effectively is high risk of being high in omega 6 and lower in omega 3 - the reverse of what you want. Plants have toxins as well.

Its also interesting how people speak against removing a whole food group such as grains....but removing meat is somehow fine. Organisations such as SAFE go to far I believe.
January 07, 2017 06:46AM
I read that opinion piece too, and that's what it was, an opinion (from a dairy farmer I believe so not exactly unbiased) and not actually accurate in some of the assumptions it made (for example assuming that our pets are obligate carnivores).
It was aimed to get people questioning and I guess that it achieved it's aim.

I guess that vegans might believe that our country would be better off without introduced animals like cats (better for our bird life), dogs, sheep and cows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 06:46AM by Griz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.