Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

In praise of ACC

Posted by helen 
In praise of ACC
March 14, 2017 01:02AM
Thankfully up until now I have never needed ACC involvement aside form the odd claim form for a sports type injury.
As I am needing some post concussion re-hab help from a neuro physio I have been assigned a case manager who is fabulous.
Jamie touches base each day, has texted me her mobile phone number in case I need her, has been very helpful about any loss of income support as well as checking whether I need home help etc...
While I have declined most of what has been offered I feel so grateful that the framework is there and if needed I could/can access it.
Often we hear the negative sides of Govt organisations such as this but to date I can only say good things.
Re: In praise of ACC
March 14, 2017 02:14AM
Have to say my experience of ACC when having surgery on an old spinal injury was great as well, and similar to yours, lots of offers of help etc, support to return to work.
March 14, 2017 02:40AM
They are the sort of things why we pay our ACC levies. You hear of the negatives but seldom of the positives.
Good to hear of the positives. It has been there for me, as well.
March 14, 2017 02:46AM
I found them okayish......very nice when telling you what your entitlements are under the circumstances, but then being very hesitant/reluctant to provide the services. Some of the admin was a bit stupid, like stating the things you required help with and how long it took. I think many of the cases of dispute arise when there is significant timing between an accidentaly injury and subsequent symptoms.
March 14, 2017 01:45PM
I didn't find that at all. It was 17 years since I'd broken my coccyx, I'd initially been reporting symptoms, but generally the attitude from the Docs was "suck it up butter cup there isn't anything that we can do". So over time I stopped complaining.
Eventually 17 years later I finally snapped and demanded it be removed, and when I found someone who would do the surgery I was able to go back to ACC and get them to fund the operation and follow up privately. I had to prove I'd been working back then, but then no other concerns than getting me better.
March 15, 2017 02:17PM
Since working for ACC I think our accident compensation scheme is absolutely fantastic. Help is there practically from day one, instead of you waiting months to years to have a court case settled as you have to do in other countries (with no guarantee of ever getting any money, especially after lawyers take their cut). I do think it's true that the Corporation is sometimes overly keen on hanging onto its money, however - my colleague used to joke that the ACC logo should be a dollar sign behind a portcullis with two fingers rampant. It's been a long time since I was there, and it sounds as if the service has improved since then, which is great.
March 15, 2017 02:21PM
Helen, I should add that I'm really pleased you're getting extra help with your post-concussion problem. It's wonderful to see the system taking concussion as seriously as it should. Your doctor might think that all his patients are over it by week three, and maybe that's because they're young sportspeople, but it might be for another reason too. From my ACC experience, it's very common for sportspeople to underreport concussion symptoms because they're so keen to get back in the game. So your doctor's patients might not be quite as over it as he thinks.
March 15, 2017 11:54PM
CarolynC, that description your colleagues joked about with the ACC logo, I'd always had that in my mind with regards to another particular government department.

Griz and Plates, I won't go into the full story but my brother's experience with ACC was originally very much in the negative category, until he had a completely different case manager. As with the rest of the human race, some just seem to be far more capable (or willing) than others and go that extra mile. I am so glad you stood your ground, Griz but I do feel for those who are unable to do so.
March 16, 2017 01:40AM
Yes my BIL also had an awful experience with them early on, going back about 20 years, but they have improved a lot I think.
March 16, 2017 10:35AM
Great to hear Helen. My partner recently got a leg injury that he is still recovering from - he's still working but at least his A & E visits (so far 6 of them to get IV antibotics) have been covered by ACC. He works for himself so pays a decent whack for ACC so its good to know it helps when you need it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.