Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Netflix suggestions

Posted by Vanessa45 
Netflix suggestions
May 03, 2017 12:49PM
Ive FINALLY got rid of sky and subscribed to Nerflix.
I connect my regular TV up with a cable to my computer ATM or just watch on the laptop. The TV is hardly used anymore in favour of devices.
ANYWAY - hit me with your Netflix suggestions.

Ive watched Marchella, American Odyssey and Bloodline - LOVED them all.

What to watch now, Im at a loose end and just search without finding...

Vanessa
Re: Netflix suggestions
May 03, 2017 10:38PM
Vanessa, are they movies and if so, what genre?. We are loving Netflix and watch movies.. but what we didn't do and have only just started, is saving movies to 'My List' We rapidly forget the names of movies, and now we have saved them at least we can look back. I recommend you do this for each movie and you can delete if you don't want to watch again.

Sci Fi (but very violent), we found a Christian Bale movie called Equilibrium. Loved it. Then easy watching, feel good family movie was 'Deirdre and Laney Rob a Train'. There was a fantastic Iranian movie (English subtitles), but I have just been through the list and of course can't find the name.

You will also find that after you watch a few that Netflix comes up with suggestions based on the genre.

I much prefer Netflix to Lightbox - both of which we have for free, courtesy of Spark. Netflix is supposed to be a 12 month free subscription, but we are happy to pay when the sub expires

Edited to add ... I found the Iranian (I presume) movie... .it is called Sand Storm. But entirely subtitled in English, which some people don't like. Fantastic movie of the Bedouin culture in modern times

And second Edit.. I just looked the movie up on IMDB and it is set in Southern Israel!! duh
[www.imdb.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2017 10:51PM by Irene Field.
May 04, 2017 12:04AM
Hi Vanessa, try this link. You'll fill up your wish list in no time!

[whatsonnetflix.com]

Marie
May 04, 2017 12:58AM
Marie, does that link apply to NZ Netflix? The content available in NZ is very limited compared with Netlfix in some other countries.

We are presently watching Netflix to catch up on some old series that we missed first time around. We've finished The Good Wife and we are presently up to season three of Mad Men.

Other excellent series are Homeland, The Queen and House of Cards.
May 04, 2017 08:11AM
I havent watched any movies yet on Netflix - only series or 'box sets" as I think they are called. i also havent even set things up with wish lists, I just search and search and look through the lists it gives me.

Im more keen on dramas, psychological, crime, law, medical ect - not too much violent action. Im not a big sci-fi/fantasy lover.
I like reality or docos.

I enjoyed the doco Abstract as well as one called Minimalism or Minimal as well as one about Amanda Knox.

So far recommendations have been a winner for me.

I havent got into House of Cards or Suits yet so might try them...
May 04, 2017 08:14AM
Another Netflix question - has anyone managed to download and watch without wifi yet?
Apparently you can do it on some things, I wanted to as we were going away and I wanted a couple of things for the kids. I wasnt able to work it out. The instructions I found were simple enough and researching told me you could do this in NZ but i had no success.

Vanessa
May 04, 2017 08:35AM
Ha ha. Good question. We always stream Netflix to Chromecast but I discovered after watching an episode of Mad Men the other week that I had downloaded on to my phone. I have no idea how it happened.
May 04, 2017 11:07AM
How you do it depends on what device you're using. You can't do it directly from a browser on a PC/Mac, but you can from a PC using the Netflix app from the Windows store, and you can from the iOS and Android apps on phones, tablets etc. Also, only certain titles can be downloaded.

For instance, from the android app on my tablet, you go to the 3 bar menu on the top left of the screen, and choose the "available for download" category. From there you pick the show, then download it using the downward arrow icon next to the episode/movie title.
May 04, 2017 11:35PM
Tpandav: Yes, it looks as if the categories are international but the suggested series and films are those that are available in NZ
May 08, 2017 03:43AM
Im currently watching "13" - the R18 highschool drama about suicide.
So far its clever and intriguing.

Has anyone watched it?
What are your thoughts?

Apparently many highschool students have already watched it and adults have been quite nervous about it.

Vanessa
May 15, 2017 09:20AM
I feel nervous about it - haven't obviously watched it !! so shouldn't really comment ........but I just find it so difficult these days to find any TV programs that have happier storylines - there is always someone dying, being murdered, cheated on, put in jail.....and so on and so on

The only program I find worth my time is Graham Norton - he always puts a smile on my face smiling bouncing smiley
May 15, 2017 10:59PM
I can't say I have watched 13 Reasons, but it will be on the agenda. Suicide is a huge problem now - have heard of one successful teen suicide a couple of weekends ago, and another teen we know made an attempt and was hospitalised.

From what I have heard of the show it is well worth watching, even down to how so called help systems let this girl down. And how topical at the moment, when we see Mike King standing down from his position in suicide awareness, due to total lack of action on the Government's part

I feel so sorry for teens these days with the huge amount of peer pressure they are under and cyber bullying, to an extent I feel has never happened before. They have to have the right phone, the right clothes, the right body shape - and to top all of that off, social media has to be factored in to an extent never seen in previous generations.

I think too bad if it makes you nervous. Watch it - especially if you have children!

Just to add .. the teen that was hospitalised and thank god was unsuccessful.. his parents at the moment cannot afford a phone for him and he is 17. He has suffered from extreme bullying at school - because he does not own a phone!
May 18, 2017 12:12PM
You have to wonder - cant afford a phone? Or cant afford whats considered the RIGHT phone. There is a lot of pressure to have the best technology or at least have Apple/Mac or latest Samsung products

Back to 13 reasons - its a GREAT insight into being a teen in 2017 and yes agree in terms of parenting young adults, its a must. Im still only up to episode 11 but its clever and interesting.

Vanessa
May 22, 2017 06:21AM
Can't afford ANY phone Vanessa.... both have their own businesses and are in deep doggy doo sad smiley
May 31, 2017 12:21PM
I suggest Black Mirror tv show, it's just awesome
July 14, 2017 08:56AM
MoanaGeek

I watched the first episode of Black Mirror last night ....OMG the Pig!! I have no words...I didn't know if I should laugh, cry or both simultaneously
July 21, 2017 06:57AM
We really like Housewives, Shooter, Designated Survivor, Luther, Marcella, Crossing Lines, Death in Paradise, The Seige of Jaootville, Shetland, Last Tango in Halifax, Whistleblower. A variety there but we like all sorts but not horror or too violent, no black ones for us.
July 21, 2017 07:18AM
On FB yesterday there was a thread reviewing some of the best movies available to NZ audiences of Netflix. So last night we watched the movie 'City of God' - it is violent and subtitled, but based on a real life story of a young boy growing up in a favela in Rio, who aspired to be a photographer When you see the high density housing in the city - it's real name is Cidade de Deus - it makes our housing infill look very genteel and spacious. And you will shudder at the gangs. Definitely an eye opener at what life is like in other countries. But it is a violent movie as I guess how do you whitewash what life is like for a lot of Rio's population?

Next I want to watch the movie called Twinsters - again a real life story. Twins, separated at birth, and raised in different countries find each other online, after one stumbles upon a Youtube video starring a woman who looks like herself - and it is her twin that she had no idea existed. That's next on our list.
J1
July 21, 2017 09:27AM
Oh yes I've seen City of God (it was made in 2002). It reminded me of Boyz n the Hood.
July 31, 2017 01:28PM
Chromecast
People who use Chromecast, TV one on demand is now compatible. Download the app, log in and stream away. They also have LIVE TV available. Im sure TV 3 wont be far off too.

Looks like we will be doing away with digital TV in favour of Internet streaming. I hardly put my TV on as it is, the kids prefer their devices and I use my laptop. If I can be bothered, I hook up the cord and view laptop-TV but NEVER watch regular TV anymore.

Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.