Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Latest Netflix FAV

Posted by Vanessa45 
Latest Netflix FAV
August 30, 2017 11:24AM
Im currently LOVING "Homelands".

Set in America and Beirut.
Female lead plus older guy lead.
LONG - lots of episodes so I can totally binge/fall asleep watching it.
Plot - US Marine is held captive for years, comes home to loving (attractive) wife who was shacked up with his best mate whilst away. It turns out he's a potential terrorist and has turned to the other side.

Watch it - its GOOD!

Vanessa
Re: Latest Netflix FAV
August 31, 2017 01:04AM
Thanks Vanessa, must give this a go.
Ed has just finished watching Ozark, it is getting rave reviews but much too dark for me. I didn't like Breaking Bad and this is apparently worse....
August 31, 2017 11:31AM
You will be addicted for weeks :-)
Vanessa
September 02, 2017 10:41PM
Intelligence is a series we have just watched the first two episodes we weren't sure if we wanted to continue but did & glad of it, an eye opener to a world we only hear about no seen violence but it is there. Get past the first two & it's rather gripping. Death in Paradise is also good, quite funny at times

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2017 10:44PM by Lyn V.
September 02, 2017 10:58PM
Vanessa - I love how you say 'Older Guy' lead.....do you mean Brodie? I thought they were the same age ha ha?
September 04, 2017 12:42PM
Too FUNNY!!!
Noooo not Brodie - Saul - bearded, glasses - he grows on you ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2017 12:43PM by Vanessa45.
September 04, 2017 12:44PM
Thanks Lyn V - I will look out for it because sadly Homelands is coming to an end sad smiley . I dont know how Im going to fill my nights.
September 05, 2017 01:12AM
I'm loving Tyrant at the moment. There's some violence but what you might expect from a Middle Eastern dictatorship.
September 05, 2017 02:19AM
Is there anything non-American, non-violent and non-murder/mystery on Netflix? I am sick to death of this type of programme, as well as all the mind-numbing cooking and real estate/makeover series currently rammed down our throats on TV. And I can't see it getting any better in the near future.

I like good British humour, period stories, hospital/medical tales, natural history/animal stories. Australia has made some wonderful films and TV series but we only get to see them very rarely these days.
J1
September 05, 2017 04:54AM
You need Sky TV Lorna grinning smiley

Sky Rialto channel screens lots of foreign films (e.g. Honey/Bal [www.imdb.com] )

Sky BBC UKTV channel screens British TV series such as The Bill, Casualty (medical drama), Holby City (medical drama), Midsomer Murders, Stella (comedy drama), Doc Martin (medical comedy drama), Foyle's War (detective drama), Father Brown (period drama). The Vicar of Dibley, Eastenders, Heartbeat (police drama), Keeping Up Appearances, New Tricks (detective drama), Fearless (6-part crime thriller), Lewis (detective drama), etc.

Sky Discovery channel screens things like Railroad Australia, Alaskan Bush People, Aussie Gold Hunters, Dr Karl's Outrageous Acts of Science ("Australia's undisputed king of science" ), etc.

Sky Living channel - some real estate shows etc, but also includes Antiques Roadshow, Zoo Days (British zoos), George Clarke's Shed of The Year (British sheds), etc.

Sky Crime Investigation channel - includes Crime Investigation Australia, , Nurses who Kill (British), Caught on Camera (British), The Nightmare Neighbour Next Door (British), The Pusher - Manchester's Serial Killer, Crimes that Shook Britain, Court Justice: Sydney, A Town and Country Murder (crimes in Britain), etc.

Sky National Geographic channel - Air Crash Investigation, Britain's Greatest Railways, Ghost Ships of the Great Lakes (American), etc.

Sky History channel - Queen Victoria's Children, Kent at War, Queen Victoria's Letters...

Sky BBC Knowledge channel - David Attenborough's Natural Curiosities, Gorilla Family and Me (Scottish filmmaker plus gorillas), Life Below Zero (Alaskan), 24 Hours in A&E (British medical), Channel Patrol (English Channel life), The Force Essex (British police), Stop Search Seize (Ireland’s border control on land, sea and air), etc.

Sky Animal Planet channel – the name says it all really! Includes Secrets of Wild Australia, Meet the Penguins, David Attenborough’s Wild City, Dr Dee: Alaska Vet, Wildest Islands of Indonesia, Animal Mums (animal mothers raise their young), Secret Life of the Wombat, etc.
September 05, 2017 11:38PM
No Way, J1. Nothing on earth would induce me to pay Sky's exhorbitant fees! As I understand it, they have various 'packages' and to get what I want I would have to take the basic Sky, which doesn't appeal, and at least a couple of other add-ons along with all the crap the add-ons have. No thanks.
J1
September 05, 2017 11:50PM
I knew that would be your response Lorna grinning smiley But I thought if I listed all the programmes, someone signed up to Netflix might check whether any/some/all of them are available through that.
September 06, 2017 04:13AM
Lorna, we have Netflix and there is a good range of British comedy and drama.

Absolutely loved "The Crown" which is a series telling the story of Queen Elizabeth II starting at the time of her wedding to Phillip. Written by Peter Morgan who is pedantic about getting facts right. Season 2 starts in December smiling smiley

Lots of good British comedy. "Come Fly With Me" is from the creator of Little Britain so requires a very warped sense of humour, which I am guilty of! Enjoyed "Still Game" which is about two 60 year old Glaswegians and the antics they get up to (a bit like Only Fools and Horses). "Getting On" is another worth watching - about a bunch of old patients in a British hospital. Also classics like Flowery Twats (Fawlty Towers smiling smiley ).

A lot of popular drama too that you may have missed the first time; Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, Death in Paradise....

You will definitely find something that appeals!
September 07, 2017 12:08AM
Thank you Lynette. I'll look into it further. A brief look yesterday tells me I also need to subscribe to something that will 'unlock' all these programmes as we live in a part of the world where they are not readily available on Netflix. Is that correct?
September 10, 2017 04:27PM
Hmmm - be wary. We haven't paid to unlock programmes so am unsure where that comes from??
September 10, 2017 11:25PM
Ok, Thank you Lynette. I must have been looking at the wrong Netflix web-page. It had NZ in the title so thought it was the right one. I'll check again.
September 27, 2017 10:42PM
We have just finished watching Death in Paradise, found it really good, light & funny.
October 01, 2017 07:16AM
Ive just watched Paula, Apple Tree Yard and the Replacement on TVONDEMAND - all highly recommended and free ;-)
All British too

Vanessa
October 19, 2017 12:25PM
And another goodie - Doctor Foster series 2 - British, suspense drama.

TV One Demand
October 27, 2017 10:22AM
Here are some shows I have enjoyed on Netflix and Lightbox over the last 12 months

The Handmaids Tale
The Good Place
800 Words
Stranger Things
Offspring

Stranger Things and The Good Place are American and excellent.
October 28, 2017 10:33PM
Thanks Cheese Lover, Im needed new ideas.

Ive watched both the Aussie ones - Offspring and 800 words although I dont think im up to date with the latter.
Another Aussie one Ive just started is Janet King - its the women from "A place to call home" series.

Vanessa
October 29, 2017 05:20AM
I agree they were great programs
October 29, 2017 10:56PM
Oh and another one I enjoyed was

The People vs OJ Simpson (really interesting)

I have watched two episodes of Ozark and might persevere....others I have enjoyed for a while but given up on after a while are Suits, Orange is the New Black and Orphan Black.
October 30, 2017 01:20AM
We liked Ozark - it wasn't gripping, gripping material, but we did enjoy the series and I hope there is a Series 2. It is good to see Justin Bateman out of a comedic role.

Haven't watched Narcos as yet. I wasn't going to, but then I read that the producer was shot and killed in Mexico only in the last couple of months, as he was scouting locations for the next series! That is getting good reviews (the series not his murder), but not sure if I want to watch it now. When we were in LA last month there were huge billboards promoting it everywhere.

Not sure if many of you are into Sci Fi, but last week Series 2 of Stranger Things was released, and we watched all 9 episodes this past weekend (couch potato weekend). I liked it - with scary aliens. I actually thought they surpassed Series 1, which was great. Two is even better!

My next couch potato episode (no idea when yet) is going to be for the last 5 episodes of the current season of Game of Thrones. We watched the first 5 and now have the last 5 to go. I have so far managed to successfully avoid all spoilers.

Just out of interest as TV viewing really has changed with the advent of Netflix etc..... what is your preference? To binge watch or still do an episode week by week, even though the whole lot is available? We have turned into binge watchers, which has resulted in some very late nights when things get gripping!
October 30, 2017 03:53AM
Irene Field Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Just out of interest as TV viewing really has
> changed with the advent of Netflix etc..... what
> is your preference? To binge watch or still do an
> episode week by week, even though the whole lot is
> available? We have turned into binge watchers,
> which has resulted in some very late nights when
> things get gripping!

We occasionally watch up to three episodes of a new series (if it's a rainy afternoon) but more often watch one or two per evening.

We are also catching up on series that we missed when they were first screened - The Good Wife, Mad Men, and presently House. There's something comforting about these old-style series, which have linear narratives, 45 min episodes, muted background music and actors with good diction!
January 11, 2018 09:35PM
French and subtitles - both are REALLY good crime/suspense dramas.

La Mante and No Second Chance

The first one is quite gruesome and the second one has a BIG pull at your heart strings at the end.

Binge worthy!!!!!
January 11, 2018 10:22PM
Well, with the range of programmes available on TV this holiday period, I made a concerted effort to find the right site to join Netflix and so glad that I've done so. I found the British section with all the kind of films, series and documentaries that interest me. I have so far watched the whole series of Land Girls and am halfway through Wives and Daughters, with many more added to My List and many that I haven't even looked at yet as I thought those added to my list would see me through at least 3 months worth of viewing.
At around $11 a month (I assume it's NZ dollars, not US), and a month's free trial, I am more than happpy.
January 12, 2018 09:36AM
I must be a born-again Luddite lol, as I don't have subscription tv of any sort, (and don't have the Net on my phone either, but that's another story). I'm selective in what I watch on free-to-air, but can, most of the time, find a doco, Brit thriller or movie etc that I want to watch (I don't watch 'reality' tv except Masterchef/MKR), or I read, watch a dvd or watch something on catch up tv online. I think if I did have Netflix or one of the other ones, I'd feel some sort of weird obligation to watch programmes to get my money's worth! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 26, 2018 02:40PM
Not Netflix but TVNZ - ONE one demand

MODUS - Modus is a Swedish television psychological thriller series, directed by Lisa Siwe and Mani Maserrat,[1] based upon the novel Frukta inte by Norwegian author and lawyer Anne Holt and adapted for television by Emmy Award winning writers Mai Brostrøm and Peter Thorsboe.[2] The series follows the work of Inger Johanne Vik (Melinda Kinnaman), a Swedish criminal psychologist and profiler, who has previously assisted both the Swedish police and the FBI in the United States.[3]

Im only on episode 2 but its GOOD!!!!

Vanessa
May 28, 2018 01:19AM
Yes Vanessa, I find lots of things "On Demand." I also view many programmes on Maori TV, they are refreshingly honest and well made. They also have some very good films and documentaries.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.