Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

How often do you wash your hair?

Posted by Vanessa45 
How often do you wash your hair?
October 14, 2017 01:12PM
I wash mine pretty much EVERY day.

Im over doing it so often and when I dont I just tie it up.

I think my hair is so used to being washed daily that when I leave it, it seems to get quite greasy and to be honest does not look great!

Has anyone got them selves out of the daily washing cycle?

Didnt people use to bath/wash hair once per week in the past?

My boys on the other hand hardly wash theirs (short hair) and it mostly looks great - NEVER greasy.

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 01:13PM by Vanessa45.
Re: How often do you wash your hair?
October 14, 2017 09:29PM
I used to wash my hair every day and if I missed a day, it was lank and greasy. I came to the conclusion I was over-washing my hair, causing the greasiness. I tried washing it every third or fourth day. It took a few weeks for my hair to adjust, but now it looks a lot better and healthier, and most importantly, doesn't get greasy so quickly. If it does look greasy after a day or two, I just sprinkle a little bit of talcum powder into my hair and gently run my fingers through my hair then brushed it out. It gives me one more day of good-looking hair.

The other thing I changed was how I tidied my hair. I always used a brush; hardly ever used a comb. Now I use my brush only for giving my hair a bit of a lift when drying it after washing. All other times I use a comb. Don't forget to wash your brush and comb every time you wash your hair.
October 14, 2017 11:47PM
once or twice a week and for the exact same reasons. I use cornflour as my dry shampoo, but very rarely have to use it
October 15, 2017 05:11AM
Every other day. I have very fine hair and not a ton of it. I've found that if I do it every day it gets dry, and if I leave it longer than every other day, the small amount of oil just makes it cling to my head.
October 15, 2017 06:07AM
Anything between 3 to 5 days.
October 15, 2017 06:38AM
Every morning in the shower.
October 15, 2017 08:21AM
I used to wash my hair every day, but now I'm anything between two and four days, depending on what I have been doing or where I may be going! I have heard it doesn't do you hair very good to be washed every day - I guess something to do with the natural oils in your hair? But there are every day shampoos and conditioners.

Lorna, do you really wash your brush and comb every time you wash your hair? Why I wonder? I do wash my brush and comb, but not nearly as frequently as you are saying. I think I must be lazy. Anyone else wash their brush and comb every time they wash their hair? confused smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
Psssst - I do throw my brush and comb into the washing machine every so often, but that's a secret between me and ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 08:23AM by Dawn.
October 15, 2017 08:40AM
Comb only - confession time. It only gets washed when I think its looking mankey. And it goes in the dishwasher. I stopped washing my hair on a daily basis on my hairdresser's advice. It definitely isn't as oily as it used to be
October 15, 2017 01:25PM
OK so I really need to sort this daily washing out. What do you think, try for every second day? My hair is fine, flyaway and medium length.

Im shocking with washing combs and brushes and NEVER thought about the washing machine or dishwasher - its a good/interesting tip.
I do frequently take the long hair out of the brush though and send them down the loo - sorry gross information confused smiley

Vanessa
October 15, 2017 09:33PM
Vanessa I have very fine hair - I would start extending it out, try 2 days and then go 3 days. Just work out what suits you.. The other thing I remembered is because my hair is coloured (bright) that was the other advice from my hairdresser which lead me to not wash daily, and that was to try and hang out for at least 4 days after a colour was done, as the colour will last longer
October 15, 2017 11:17PM
Yes, I really do wash my brush & comb at the same time as I wash my hair. I can't see any point in having clean hair then putting a brush and comb through it that's got dead hairs, dust and debris stuck in it.
October 16, 2017 08:44AM
I wash my hair daily but shampoo only every second day. I use conditioner only twice a week. My comb gets washed every few days. I wish I could wash my hair less frequently but it has got very little body and just doesn't look right if I don't blow dry it daily. It's a pain in the proverbial!
October 17, 2017 12:22AM
I think it depends a lot on what sort of hair you have and what style you wear it in.

I have very fine hair but plenty of it and I wash it every day in the shower for two reasons - firstly because it takes longer to faff about keeping it dry under a shower cap and secondly because the way I like to wear it requires blow drying, so it needs to be wet.

I use good quality salon product - shampoo and conditioner, plus a molding cream and hairspray, and I can honestly say that my hair doesn't suffer from my daily regime.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
October 17, 2017 05:49AM
Usually it is twice a week for me unless I am going out or it has been particularly hot.
October 17, 2017 01:26PM
I have oily hair and I wash it every second day. However, as I work from home there are days where I don't leave the house and I've been trying to not wash my hair on those days - I find that makes it less oily overall but I still can't get away with more than every two days for public consumptionsmiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 01:26PM by CarolynC.
October 18, 2017 12:15PM
I wash my hair everyday like Lorna used to do and for the same reasons! I would be keen to try not washing it but I think I would have to go bush for a couple of weeks otherwise I might be mistaken for an oil slick!
October 19, 2017 12:09PM
Day one - nice washed blow dryed and straightened hair. grinning smiley
Day two - tied up and a bit birds nesty but rocking the dishevelled look. eye rolling smiley
Day 3 - struggle day, I feel dirty and its oily around the fringe area. Its also still staying tied up. confused smiley

Theres no way Id manage day 4 hot smiley

I wonder how the women on Bear Grills The Island cope - they look pretty bloody good considering they have no beauty products or fresh water on tap.

Vanessa
October 19, 2017 10:21PM
Vanessa, you really should try some of the many home-made varieties of dry shampoo between your regular hair washing. Here is a website that describes a few ways to make your own inexpensive dry shampoo. I won't use the word 'cheap' in this instance, which calls up ideas of 'cheap and nasty', because they're not nasty, they're a God-send. You can try some and find one that suits your hair. Not all of them suit everyone.

[beauty.thefuntimesguide.com]

Of course, if you've got plenty of disposable income you could go for a professional version, costing anywhere from around $5 to $30 from either a chemist or hairdresser/beautician.
October 19, 2017 10:42PM
Vanessa, maybe I'm missing something - why don't you simply wash your hair every day (or every second day if you're happy with having it tied up on day two)

That way you could have by your own admission, 'nice washed blow dried and straightened hair' every day or every other day.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
October 23, 2017 03:36AM
Im sick (and lazy) of doing it daily and think over time think its become more fly away and frizzy looking.

I wondered if I got back to a less frequent washing cycle, the condition of it would improve. Ive spent lots on serums and conditioners but to be honest nothing really works and straightening it daily isnt great for your hair.

Vanessa
October 30, 2017 03:07PM
I wash my hair twice a week
November 29, 2018 04:12PM
I wash my hair daily. I just have to do so because I use a lot of remedies for my hairstyle. Those gels here are awesome but it's really unpleasant to sleep when your hair is covered with it. I know that daily hair washing is harmful but I just can't do something with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 11:13AM by HungryNick.
November 30, 2018 12:52AM
I do too otherwise it doesn’t sit right
December 03, 2018 09:45AM
this is all pretty interesting haha,
I too have very fine hair & its quite thick (as in a lot of it - quite an oxymoron otherwise). I dont mind the just washing it bit, but have come to really dislike the styling, faffing about, products, blowdrying etc etc - so I stretch out the washing of mine to once a week.
I can sort of wet it during a shower (& the residual product) can be enough to shape it again for another day - or two smiling smiley - & then wash it etc in the weekends. Doesnt that sound super lazy.
I guess too I'm lucky that more recently my hair has grown a bit longer, just above my collar. so I sort of have a few options to wear it with a clasp or hair ties etc too
June 25, 2019 12:41PM
I wash my head every second day. Daily wash can be harmful to your locks because it can cause hair dryness. I really care about my hair health. I follow Monica's blog [mystraightener.com] to know better about how to make my hair healthier. I like the reviews she has there, already found a couple of useful products.
July 02, 2019 07:18AM
Every 2nd day for me Cherubs.
And at work I am required to wear a hat, so my hair doesn't really get dirty.
So it is a personal preference
Kindest Regards to everyone

Raewyn G
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.