Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Food tour destination, which would you pick?

Posted by helen 
Food tour destination, which would you pick?
January 31, 2018 05:03AM
I am looking at hosting a tour later this year to either Morocco or Mexico.
If you were going on a food tour which of these two destinations would you pick?
I am finding it difficult to decide.
Re: Food tour destination, which would you pick?
January 31, 2018 05:23AM
I'd choose Morocco. My impression is that while high end Mexican food is interesting and very good, that is not the case at the lower end. Moroccan food seems more varied and interesting (I haven't been to Morocco).
January 31, 2018 09:25AM
I too would choose Morocco (although I have never travelled there either). Moroccon markets, history, food etc, more food, will totally win out over Mexico .... but I am also uncertain of the political climate in Mexico & so am not sure that I would be keen to do much there than stay in a hotel room smiling smiley

I stand to be be corrected though & I'm sure lots of you will have safely travelled there, its just not top of my lists.
Bev
January 31, 2018 09:32AM
Morocco would also be my pick. Although I haven’t visited either country yet the food from Morroco interests and appeals to me more.
January 31, 2018 09:31PM
I HAVE visited Morocco, 2 years ago and had a ball. The food is delicious, especially when taught by a local resident, at her home, with food purchased together at the local markets. We then helped prepare it and then cooked it ourselves in individual tagines in the filtered-sun courtyard. That was a very special day in my holiday and one I will never forget. A total foodie experience. See picture 1

While this was not a food-centred holiday, food certainly took centre stage at many of our daily trips to various places. There was the day we had lunch with a friend of our tour guide and she taught us how to eat the communal food from a tagine, rolling and bouncing the mixture in your right hand till it became a tight little ball which you then popped in your mouth. This was accompanied by a refreshing salad spiked with thousands of sweetly-sharp pomegranate seeds, followed by a drink of camels milk.

Another day we stopped on the roadside next to a family of Berbers camped in the dry riverbed. They'd come down from the mountains to prepare their winter campsite, as it was too cold to remain in a tent in the mountains. We were shown through their three tents: one the bedroom, a second living tent, with carpets hand made by the wife, with goats wool from their goats, on a portable loom, in beautiful vibrant colours and geometric patterns. The third tent was the kitchen, where the husband prepared us the ubiquitous pot of refreshing mint-tea. The 3 children sat watching us with wide eyes. None of them spoke English yet we were welcomed like long lost friends. See picture 2 (Note: I had my camera setting all wrong, after the previous nights photographs taken at night an I forgot to reset it for daylight).

I could go on telling you about my food (and other) experiences in Morocco, but there were many of them. This was a very small group of women (6 with 2 tour guides) who spent 15 days touring Morocco and loving every minute of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 09:33PM by Lorna.
Attachments:
open | download - 2015-10-12 02.47.28.jpg (450.1 KB)
open | download - PA030147.JPG (80.9 KB)
January 31, 2018 11:19PM
Thanks for your input and yes I do think that Morocco has loads of appeal and also people know it more whereas Mexico is not as well known as a travel destination and perhaps not as interesting.
We are actually taking the kids to Mexico in April for a family holiday. Sticking to the tourist areas of the Yucatan peninsula so not venturing near any drug cartels - I hope. I have booked a flamingo viewing boat trip from a little fishing town Rio Largatos, this is where flamingos come to breed and I am highly excited about seeing them in their natural environment.
February 01, 2018 03:12AM
Oh and it looks as though I will be hosting a tour to Morocco in September if anyone feels like a holiday. smiling smiley
February 01, 2018 03:25PM
I was absolutely knocked out by the food in Mexico - I've never been anywhere where the food was so consistently tasty. I'm looking forward to hearing how you find it, Helen! And your flamingo tour sounds fantastic.
February 01, 2018 11:15PM
Yes Carolyn I have heard the same. We are going to the Yucatan peninsula. Flamingo tour at Rio Largatos and a crocodile boat trip in the same area at night. I thought the kids would like that.
We are also going to Tulum, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Merida.
Have booked accommodation for Tulum, Rio Largatos and Merida but still playing around with timing for Playa del Carmen etc...
Open to suggestions if you have travelled in that area.
February 03, 2018 01:20PM
I'm afraid I've only been to Michoacán (to see the monarch butterflies). Michoacán is supposed to be heavily cartel-ised and we were perfectly fine, so I'm sure you'll be fine in the Yucatan! And unlike here there will be no shortage of avocadossmiling smiley. I'm glad you're going to Tulum - I would love to see that as it's apparently amazing.
February 07, 2018 10:20PM
Lorna would you mind sharing where you went in Morocco? I am fine tuning our itinerary at the moment and trying to avoid long days in the bus.
It seems that there are quite a few 5 hours drives to get around which I am trying to avoid.
I would love to hear where you went and how you found the travelling...
February 08, 2018 09:17PM
I'd be happy to give you the route we took, but as you say, there are long distances between the places of interest. This, I think, is unavoidable due to the nature of the country - the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara Desert means that towns sprang up where ever water was available, or easily transported to. But it's worth it. The activities and sights were exciting, interesting, intriguing, fascinating. In fact, we spent nearly half a day stopping at one of the I'll send you a private message with a link that will give you the route we took plus our daily itinerary. It was 15 days, so a bit much to put on here. You can then ask me any other questions you like.

Edited to add, that we had a very modern, comfortable, air conditioned 12 seater mimi-bus for the 8 of us plus driver, who quickly proved himself as a fount of knowledge of little known facts and sights. He even took us to his Mum's house for morning tea on the way to one of our destinations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 09:41PM by Lorna.
February 08, 2018 10:43PM
Thanks so much Lorna, I have just read your itinerary, wow you did a lot of travelling.
I am trying to reduce the time on the road for us and have worked out that we can take a 1 hour flight to avoid a 9 1/2 hour drive that was to be split over 2 days.
I don't want to miss valuable scenery but I just can't do day after day of travelling. smiling smiley
February 17, 2018 10:09PM
I have been to both and loved them equally. Morocco was definately more 'off the beaten track' kind of holiday whilst Mexico might appeal for the less adventurous traveller.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.