Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

HRV

Posted by Ali W 
HRV
April 13, 2018 11:49PM
We have had an HRV for around 8 years now. No problem with the system, however their after sales service is non existent except to sell. My husband accidentally changed the settings from Celsius to Fahrenheit- now HRV will not help him fix it. He gets answers like “I will get the technician to call you back” and of course they never do, We know that HRV will tell us we need to replace our system with a more modern one.

Talking to friends and workmates the stories are the same - it's just sales and not much else!

Anyone know how we can find out how to fix the temperature settings - there is nothing on the internet that we can find.

Thanks
Re: HRV
April 15, 2018 12:15AM
Have you got a 'function' button on your remote? Try holding it for 3 seconds and see if the option to change from F to C is there.
April 15, 2018 02:39AM
Thanks Lorna. I did that and an oval with an F came up but I don't know what to do next. Any further help would be much appreciated.
April 15, 2018 05:04AM
According to their website the friendly team at 0800 HRV 123 is there to help with any queries. Surely someone can answer your question - it hardly requires a technician and it won't be the first time that someone has inadvertently changed that setting. If it were me, I would be asking to speak to someone further up the tree.

Do you have a manual? I see that there are various downloadable manuals on the internet. However from what I am gathering Lorna has steered you in the right direction as holding down the function key for three secs unlocks the functionality and from there you can make changes to various settings. Hopefully someone on the forum can help further.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
April 15, 2018 10:22PM
Try tapping the F. It will probably change to a C. Or maybe even a K (for Kelvin). If so, just tap until the right letter appears. The thing is, you mustn't be afraid of modern technology. It's not going to jump up and bite you. It may just need a bit of lateral thinking to get where you want to be. Try all the usual 'computer' manouevers, tap and hold, tap, tap again, tap twice quickly (double tap), etc. I haven't got an HRV but I have got a smartphone and all these things have different effects in different places. You can't lose by trying them.

Failing that, download a temperature conversion chart and refer to it to set the temperature you want. You could even write down the equivalent temperatures and keep it handy. If you're anything like me, the range will be small, between say, 18ºC and 24ºC. Look here: [www.onlineconversion.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 10:33PM by Lorna.
April 16, 2018 07:09AM
Thanks for your help Lorna. Will persevere.

The sad thing is that everyone I mention HRV to, says things like “don't talk to me about them”. So it is not just us, you would think a big firm like that would be anxious to preserve their reputation. I filled in the on-line form once again - no response and the 0800 number is to the sales team who say they will get someone to call.

Needless to say when we downsize our house soon we will not be installing their ventilation system, if the next house needs one.
April 16, 2018 11:08AM
I'm very interested to read of your issues with HRV, Ali. We're contemplating putting a ventilation system in our house, and had no idea where to start on brands or styles. HRV had been on the list because of it being a "big" brand, but if their after sales service is non existent, I don't want to go anywhere near them.

I hope you resolve your display somehow!
April 17, 2018 07:06AM
Good news! I filled in an online contact form and stressed the fact that I was “elderly” - that's a matter of opinion! I also told them we are not in a position to upgrade the system - joy oh joy - they phoned this morning and helped reset everything over the phone!

We have now locked the keypad so no more fiddling can happen!

Thanks for your input and encouragement.

I will now return to lurking!
April 17, 2018 08:28AM
No, don't lurk, Ali W. Join the conversation, often. I'm sure you've got interesting comments and opinions. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
April 17, 2018 11:18AM
Glad it's all sorted for you Ali W.
And I didn't know what HRV was here in Adelaide so Googled it and got Heart Rate Variability lol.
April 17, 2018 01:34PM
Ali, Just to let you know I'm not ignoring you, I'm trying to reply to your PM, but I'm having problems with that Captcha spam prevention thing. It won't work so I'll email Helen and let her know.
April 18, 2018 02:28AM
So glad they finally did the right thing by you, Ali W. So many companies seem all too ready to jump to attention when they want to sell something but their after sales service seems to be lagging behind. In my mind it's the putting right that counts.

Incidentally, we have had a DVS system for many years. We upgraded a few years ago and haven't regretted it. Apart from one little hiccup, which they promptly fixed 'touch wood', everything has been fine.
April 18, 2018 06:51AM
Yes Marnie, I have only heard good things about DVS so guess which firm is top of my list now!

Thanks for your input.
April 25, 2018 07:32AM
Jenna, if you're considering a ventilation system, I can recommend Sayr. I did heaps of research before picking a system and am very happy with my choice. One of the things I learned is that it's all about the controller and Sayr's is very good. Some only distinguish between whole degrees whereas theirs distinguishes to one decimal point - I couldn't imagine why that would be important until I got one! I also agree that you should avoid HRV like the plague. Not only is their afterservice poor, they are notorious for their high pressure sales techniques. My mother had them round once and couldn't get rid of them for more than three hours. One thing to watch out for with these systems is that how effective they are depends very much on the type of house you have. I have a villa with very poorly fitting windows (I can enjoy a refreshing breeze without opening them) and as a result the system works incredibly well for me. If you have a more modern house with better fitting windows, however, it won't be nearly as effective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 07:33AM by CarolynC.
April 25, 2018 09:38AM
Thanks, Carolyn, that's good to know. I'll add them to my list.

Our house is a 1996 Keith Hay home, very plain, with standard aluminium joinery. We have insulated ceiling and floor, but have a lot of condensation on the windows, despite never drying clothes in the house and using 2 dehumidifiers in winter. The dryer and cooktop are vented to outside, bathrooms have fans and windows are opened, but raining windows, sigh. Another reason we want to look into it is as a heat transfer system too, moving the heat from the living room with the woodburner, to other rooms in the house. It's a small place, only 130m2. I've lived in an old vila where you could see through the gaps in the joinery, we had central gas heating in that house though, and that certainly helped. There was a 6w period one winter when it wasn't working though, and life was miserable beyond belief. There was no woodburner and no electric heater would heat those huge rooms with such tall ceilings and all that unwanted fresh air!
April 26, 2018 02:11PM
Jenna, yes, that's my villasmiling smiley. In the winter (I work from home) I have a 2 kW heater on and still have to wear full thermal underwear, gloves and a hat. It's usually much warmer outside. I've struggled to come up with a heating system that will work without bankrupting me, but after 27 chilly winters here I'm hoping this year to put in a single heat pump just to heat the large open area where I work. The Sayr system has helped however as it was incredibly damp before and now isn't at all, and that makes it feel a lot warmer. I couldn't call it a heating system but it does raise the temperature by a couple of degrees. As you have aluminium joinery, if you haven't already I do suggest you talk to people who have a system with aluminium windows fitted to be sure it'll work for you. The systems are fantastic for condensation (I don't have any at all now) but there does have to be a way for the air to depart for it to work. Heat transfer I can't comment on as I don't have any to transfersmiling smiley.
March 12, 2019 02:56AM
Carolyn -- I had a very interesting visit from my local Sayr rep last night, and will very likely go ahead with ordering their system. I've spoken with DVS and MoistureMaster, and I agree with you that Sayr seems like a better product -- well, at least for my needs at least. 95% of the reason we want a system is to deal with the weeping windows in winter.

Thanks for the recommendation, I don't think I would have contacted them otherwise, as I don't recall the name coming up in any of my other research.
March 24, 2019 07:36AM
CarolynC -- thought you might like to know we're having a Sayr system installed this week. We had DVS, Sayr and Moisture Master come out to quote, and Sayr was by far the better sounding system, and the prices weren't all that far apart either. I am looking forward so very much to a drier house with no weeping windows this winter! Our wee burmese cat won't be happy though, she's always loved licking the wet windows every morning all winter long.. the tongue marks would drive me nuts, and in the end I just decided to not care, because she's such a lovely cat and I'd miss those tongue marks if she weren't here smiling smiley
March 25, 2019 01:54AM
Yay, Jenna, I hope you love it! My mother had a Sayr system installed last year - I was worried that it would be less effective than mine because she has aluminium windows, but it worked brilliantly for her and she only wishes she'd had it done years before. After the first week she put her dehumidifier on TradeMesmiling smiley. So I hope you're equally happy with yours even if your gorgeous-sounding cat isn't!
April 04, 2019 12:47AM
Just saw this about HRV and thought I would put my two cents in - please keep an eye on your elderly relatives and this company.

I have the worst opinion of HRV - one of their sales people door knocked and sold a system to my father who was in his eighties (this was a couple of years ago). My father has dementia and this would have been obvious to anyone talking to him as he has no short term memory whatsoever and would have been asking the same questions over and over. At the time he was days away from going into a dementia unit (though he would not have remembered he was going into a rest home). Dad had no idea how much money he had so he must have said he couldn't afford the $3000 plus so they signed him up for hire purchase. He certainly did not have the mental capacity to be signing any legal documents. We got him out of the contract eventually and they came and took away the unit but it cost a $1000 legal bill to get action from them.

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 12:48AM by Jacki1.
April 04, 2019 12:59AM
I've had a similar experience with HRV's predatory sales techniques and an elderly relative. It ended up having to threaten legal action to get them to leave her alone. At the time I wrote and complained to the head office, but I should have done more and complained to the Commerce Commision or something. I too will have nothing to do with HRV because of this.
April 06, 2019 07:23AM
At our previous home we had an HRV system installed - I am much more sceptical about unsolicited phone calls, but alas my husband is a proper soft touch - so before we knew it ....
Anyway, I share my name (1st & last) with another local woman - say Mary Brown - who also had an HRV system. I'm sure you can see where this is going - but as part of the warranty etc I was quite careful to ensure that our HRV was serviced each year etc, & so went ahead & booked one.
The day arrived & I sat about at home for hours wondering why the service man was late, finally phoning their 0800 number & got to speak with the most bored receptionist who didnt give a toss about me, just said they had already been, the HRV had been serviced.
I contacted "Mary Brown" whose husband told me they too were fed up - they had been at their home insisting that no service had been booked & tried to send the chap away.
HRV customer service appears(ed) to be non-existent - & without satisfied customers a business doesnt have a product to be recommended.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.