Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

window cleaning solution

Posted by helen 
window cleaning solution
June 24, 2018 08:00AM
I use methylated spirits on newspaper to clean the inside windows but am about to embark on the outsides and wondering what I should use.
What do you use?
Re: window cleaning solution
June 24, 2018 11:44AM
Warm water, a small amount of dish soap or sugar soap, and a slug of cloudy ammonia.. then squeegee off.
J1
June 24, 2018 11:55AM
I keep it really simple and good for the environment. On the inside I use water and dry it off with non-printed newsprint. On the outside I use hose water and two brushes - one soft bristled car wash type brush (e.g. [www.oderings.co.nz] ) and for windows I can't reach with the car brush I use a telescopic brush (e.g. [www.mitre10.co.nz] ) Water gets my windows very clean - they don't need anything else.
June 24, 2018 10:50PM
I just use warm water along with a microfibre cloth - the one I have says it's for windows (it has a different weave to others that I have). Wet well to clean, squeeze cloth out and wipe most of the water off, then squeeze again until almost dry and wipe over both vertically and horizontally.

I have a couple of outside windows that I can't reach, so himself does them with a telescopic brush and they just drip dry.

There was a reason that newspaper was used years ago - something to do with the content of the ink which was good for cleaning glass. I understand that the process these days is different, so using newspaper is irrelevant.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
J1
June 25, 2018 07:07AM
I use non-printed newsprint paper because it's the handiest, cleanest paper around to completely dry inerior windows off with. I get the unused end rolls from a local printing company (they're free). They give them to schools and kindergartens too, for children to draw and paint on.
June 26, 2018 02:30AM
I don’t mind doing housework but I abs olutely detest washing windows. I hate it. We have got lots of ranch sliders and I delay cleaning them because although I think I have done a really thorough job there are always awful smears left that irritate me and that are so visible once the sun hits the windows. I have tried all sort of ways to clean, using water and soap, vinegar, newspaper for polishing you name it. Recently I came across an advert for a window vac that promised streak free windows. Would that be my solution to have get sparkling windows? I am loath to add yet another useless and expensive gadget to my household. Does anyone here have one of those? I’d be most interested in your opinion.
June 26, 2018 03:27AM
I have a Karcher window vac and find it great. I bought it mostly for use in winter for vacuuming up condensation off the windows, but I also use it for cleaning. I'm happy with the results. If you buy it from Bunnings, Mitre10 etc and keep your receipt, you could always return it if you are not happy with the results.
June 26, 2018 03:46AM
Thank you Jenna. I read that people like the window vac for getting rid of condensation. We don’t have any as we are lucky enough to have central heating. It’s purely to help with that dreaded cleaning job. I’ll check out Mitre 10 here. Unfortunately no local Bunnings.
July 10, 2018 12:49PM
I used to clean windows with water and white vinegar. Ever since I became a mother I just don't have enough time to clean my house like I used to. My friend recommended me this great cleaning product that really saves my time, money, and what's most important, my house is clean and I have more time to spare with my family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 02:11PM by sienna7.
Anonymous User
July 17, 2018 06:17AM
I'm usually using Mr.Proper cleaning agent spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2018 06:18AM by ReginaDav.
July 17, 2018 09:26AM
I have a Karcher too & find it very successful. We have a neighbor with bee hives & with our ranch sliders & glass handrails they are always covered in poo’s. They need scraping as it sets. Love the idea of hives but a bit of a nuisance in the city. I would never complain as we need them.
July 18, 2018 05:46AM
Lyn V Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a Karcher too & find it very successful. We
> have a neighbor with bee hives & with our ranch
> sliders & glass handrails they are always covered
> in poo’s. They need scraping as it sets. Love
> the idea of hives but a bit of a nuisance in the
> city. I would never complain as we need them.

Lyn, is there no streaking with the Karcher? I don’t mind window cleaning per se, but I could spend the day running in and out trying to get rid of the smearsangry smiley
July 18, 2018 11:58PM
I have no problem with the Karcher. It doesn't streak. Gone are the days of trying to dry condensation-coated windows with towels tor other types of 'material' to dry them, that leaves them looking ghastly. The Karcher is a nifty little appliance worth its weight in gold. It's probably the result of having a strip of closely packed brushes followed immediately by the rubber strip and the overall effect of sucking up the liquid instead of leaving it smeared elsewhere on the window. Long live the Karcher!
July 19, 2018 02:32AM
A Karcher it is. Looking forward now to getting those windows under controlthumbs up
July 19, 2018 07:07AM
They really do a very good job, Chris. I hope you're as pleased with it as I am.
July 20, 2018 01:39AM
FYI for anyone interested in the Karcher Window Cleaner, they appear to be on special at Mitre 10 currently
[tinyurl.com]
August 03, 2018 04:38AM
I took note of Lorna’s post and bought a Karcher window vac from Mitre 10. I am sooooo pleased with my purchase. I read lots of reviews and some people thought the vac was a waste of money and time. However, that is not my opinion. The windows were done so quickly and the result is great. There was the odd little smear but that had to do with the way I was using the vac. No more putting off window cleaning. thumbs up
August 04, 2018 12:05AM
Thank you for your comment, Chris. I only tell the truth in any reviews I do, and I do quite a few, both good and bad. I tell it like it is for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.