Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Showing My Age

Posted by Chris 
Showing My Age
October 06, 2018 03:07AM
I must be showing my age when certain words that have`cropped up over the last few years really irritate me. One of them is the word 'pimp' as in pimp your lunch. It just sounds awful to me. I have no wish to pimp anything. The other word that. springs to mind is 'hack'.
Is there a word that irritates you when you read it?
Re: Showing My Age
October 06, 2018 03:14AM
I'm there with you on "hack" and this life hack crap. It's what used to be "handy tips and tricks". Don't understand the need to change it.

There is a phrase that irritates me, and that is headlines that being with the words "The moment when...." followed by some rubbish click bait video.
October 06, 2018 03:52AM
Do you remember “at the end of the day” or “this is right”
October 06, 2018 05:47AM
Ali W Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you remember “at the end of the day” or
> “this is right”

Yes, and I seem to be hearing 'at the end of the day' more often than I care to. Another phrase is being overused now in my opinion is 'window' as in 'window of opportunity' etc. Must go outside and enjoy the glorious sunshine before I get really crotchety!grinning smiley
October 06, 2018 09:49AM
New Year's makes my blood boil. Women which in the plural should be pronounced wimmen. I'm often shouting at the radio or TV "WIMMENS"!!!. I am turning into a grumpy old crow me thinks.
Bev
October 06, 2018 10:16AM
“Have a nice rest of your day” really bugs me. Whatever happened to just wishing someone a nice day or nice morning etc.
October 06, 2018 09:52PM
Close to 'pimp' is 'sexed-up', as in 'the new model of this car/phone/kitchen, etc has been'sexed-up'. A saying that I never understood, but haven't heard for some time, is 'he takes no prisoners'. Two or three people have tried to tell me what it means, without success. I just don't 'get it'.
October 06, 2018 11:06PM
I agree with you Bev. I dislike shop assistants asking me 'how's your day going?' when I go to the counter to be served. I know it's a form of friendly greeting from the assistant and that they've been educated to greet customers in that fashion, but I think as you do Bev: what's wrong with just a nice short and cheerful 'good morning/afternoon' so that I'm not jolted into thinking about how my day really is going. After all I'm just getting on with my day and in all honesty they couldn't give a stuff as to how it's going for me! confused smiley

Maybe I should turn it around and ask the assistant how their day is going??? moody smiley And, maybe I'm getting a bit grumpy in my old age?
Regards,
Dawn.
PS and BTW: When asked I always say I'm having a wonderful day. But sometimes it's a fib.winking smiley
October 07, 2018 12:28AM
One thing that really gets my blood boiling and appears to be prevalent with the advent of the internet and Americanism's, is when women call another "hon", ie thanks hon, don't worry hon. The heckles rise!

As for shop assistants and the obligatory how is your day going - I always remember a gentleman who I worked with, and his response always was "do you really want to know or are you just being polite"?
October 07, 2018 01:44AM
Aha Irene! I've also heard someone say 'if you've got all day I'll tell you'!
D.
October 07, 2018 02:15AM
Thought of another one. I answer the phone at my workplace and am always surprised by how many callers reply to my formal greeting with “how are you”? Maybe I should tell them about my arthritis, dodgy knees, headache etc etc

I just say fine thanks then “how can I help”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 02:17AM by Ali W.
October 07, 2018 10:45AM
The overuse of "amazing" makes my heckles rise - even news presenters use that word far too much.
October 15, 2018 04:37AM
I don’t like when I am called ‘dear’. Like thanks dear, have a nice day dear. I am not their ‘dear’ & I feel it is only said to the elderly. Hmmm is that me??
October 22, 2018 07:15AM
I always try and get in first to ask shop assistants about their day, not because I don't want them to ask me but because they are often standing around all day with no one to show an interest in them. No I don't like being called "love" or "dear" but there are many worse things I have been called recently , in my work, so love and dear sound fantastic sometimes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.