Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Split nail

Posted by Ali W 
Split nail
October 25, 2018 04:47AM
One of my thumbnails always develops a split right down the middle as soon as it grows even the smallest bit. I have to keep it extremely short to avoid the split snagging on things.

I am puzzled why this has happened as I do not recall damaging the nail bed - surely that would have been so painful it would be unforgettable!

Any suggestions to help me fix this?

Thanks
Re: Split nail
October 25, 2018 05:38AM
It is a time thing Ali. I have been told those horizontal splits are due to severe nail damage, yet I have had 2 nails and have been totally unaware of any damage. I do have my nails done and it helped that she glued a small piece of 'cloth' for want of a better word over the split, and with time it has stopped splitting. But that is when the one on the other hand popped up - so we are doing the same treatment on that one now
October 25, 2018 07:46AM
I have that same issue with a thumb nail, but I know the trauma that caused it - I shut my thumb in a car door when I was 10. The whole nail is buggered, really. No idea how to deal with it long term if you're not aware of any cause, Irene's idea of taping it closed is interesting though.
J1
October 25, 2018 11:34AM
Like Jenna, my sister currently has one on her big toenail - she has only recently started getting it - and believes it's caused by that toenail being caught under one of those car front seats that lift up to let passengers into the back seat (someone sat in the seat, trapping my sister's toe under it for several screaming seconds) when she was about 10 years old. Age brings out hidden diseases and trauma.
October 29, 2018 02:51AM
I am not sure about a split nail but my big toe nail is only just growing out the last of the black/bruising when a very large man stepped back without looking and stood on it, well over 12 months ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.