Am I old fashioned?
February 18, 2019 10:17PM
I thought it was quite clever and a bit of fun that Whittakers have launched a limited release chocolate range (as a Plunket fundraiser) that is ether pale pink or pale blue but you don't know until you open it.
It never occurred to me that it would be gender offensive until I read the news this morning.
Is this just getting too silly or is the reaction valid.
I think I am old fashioned on this one.
Your thoughts?
Re: Am I old fashioned?
February 18, 2019 11:05PM
What a load of nonsense if people are upset by a gender reveal chocolate. Maybe the colours pink and blue should be banned - honestly?

Whilst personally I think these gender reveal parties are not the best idea. Talking from experience we attended one and the couple had a little girl, and were convinced no. 2 was a boy, to the extent that their daughter was convinced she was going to have a little brother. They gave the unopened scan result to the cake maker/decorator, so they had no idea themselves - and cut the cake to find out it was a pink cake! Their daughter actually cried - so that went down like a lead balloon obviously. Why they went down the route of having a gender reveal party, I don't know.

But people are too busy to get offended these days I think. Did you see the uproar about the Katy Perry designed shoes last week? Some people took umbrage at what they thought were black face shoes and they had to be pulled from all Walmart stores in the US.... no one took umbrage at the beige face shoes - but if this was a racist issue, surely that is just as offensive? But a black pair of shoes with a pair of eyes and lips on them caused worldwide outrage ??
February 19, 2019 02:54AM
I agree with both Helen and Irene. Sometimes I thinks some people, journalists included, have too much time on their hands. There has been at least one case where one person has objected and something has been withdrawn. Never mind that the majority had no objection.
February 19, 2019 03:12AM
I do think that we have become too emotionally sensitive to everything,
Irene I had missed the Katy Perry shoes so googled and found on South China News a reference to shoes with a yellow hue and almond shaped eyes on them also being culturally insensitive.
The other day as I saw a photo of a group of men with glamorous make up on I wondered if we will next get to women complaining about gender appropriation....
February 19, 2019 03:25AM
I think the idea that pink is for girls and blue for boys is old fashioned and limiting. I also think that gender reveal parties are ridiculous and a result of marketers dreaming up yet another artificial event to promote sales.
February 19, 2019 05:07AM
Gosh...this is getting a bit serious.

Can't the chocolate be just a bit of fun? And money for a good cause.

Sometimes I could just weep at P.C. and everyone too intimidated to just enjoy things for what they are.
February 19, 2019 06:01AM
I totally agree with you all, i too am sick of it. Now at schools overseas they are wanting to call same sex parenting no.1 or no. 2 instead of Mum or Dad not very heart warming to be called a number. Nothing nicer for a childs first words to be Mum or Dad, Nanna or Grandad too.
February 19, 2019 06:05AM
People choose to be offended at the most ridiculous of things. I tend to be of the mind to look at the intent behind a comment - if it is not intended to be offensive I don't take it that way. The is simply no way people can try to take into account every single sub variation to everything when you speak. People truly need to get a grip.

I don't give a toot about the chocolate though, but I do agree that the whole pink for girls blue for boys is outdated. My boys always loved (and still do) colours for clothes rather than the boring blue, grey and dark green that most boys clothes are. When they were young they'd wear girls shorts and jeans because they came in colours!
February 19, 2019 10:26AM
I didn't dress my babies in gender specific blue or pink but I actually don't have a problem with the pink/blue association. It doesn't need to be literal surely.
My son loves pink and has always. He has a pink cuddly rug on his bed and pink is a predominant colour in his wardrobe with shorts, t shirts and sweat shirts.
My girls would wear more blue than pink.
I just don't think the colour needs to be literal but it just feels like fun and a great fund raiser.
February 19, 2019 10:07PM
I feel this whole p.c. thing is ridiculous. It is now at the stage that we have to be so careful about the things we say or write. Surely the chocolate was a bit of fun, and a great idea for fundraising.

What has happened to people's sense of humour these days?
February 19, 2019 10:07PM
There is far too much 'outrage' at the most innocent of things. People should get rid of the 'inner rage' by concentrating on thinking of and doing good things rather than searching for and finding things to be offended by.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.