Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Musty smelling wool

Posted by Ali W 
Musty smelling wool
April 12, 2019 07:08AM
I have been gifted some balls of wool - lovely quality which is hard to find these days. However, it has been stored in plastic bags in a cupboard I think. It really smells musty.

I have put it outside on the deck (away from sunlight) and will leave it overnight, but I think it is going to take more than that.

I was thinking of unravelling the balls into big loops and washing it, but envision tangles.

Or should I just toss it?

What do you think?
Re: Musty smelling wool
April 12, 2019 11:40PM
I think you should put it back in a bag with some baking soda sprinkled inside and leave for a day or two. You might need to repeat the process more than once, but I think the baking soda will absorb the smell. Or try Grans Remedy, the stuff you sprinkle inside smelly shoes.

Another idea, and I'm not sure I've got this right, is to borrow a 'Niddy-Noddy' from someone who spins wool. I think they use it for winding wool into hanks. I don't know if it works after the wool is already in a ball, but it's worth investigating. A hank of wool is looser than a ball, so having it in hanks hung in the fresh air will probably work.
April 12, 2019 11:43PM
Another idea if all else fails is to knit or crochet it up into squares then sew them into small blankets that you can then donate to your local vet clinic or animal shelter. I'm sure a musty smell won't worry the dogs and cats too much!
April 14, 2019 03:19AM
Progress....I have had the balls of wool outside since Friday, rotating them the sunlight and the smell is slowly going. I am not worried about fading as they were free anyway. If I still need to finish them off, I will try the baking soda.

Thanks Lorna
April 29, 2019 11:23PM
I wonder if you could have knitted them up then washed by hand with a fabric softner that gives a nice smell.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.