Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Kindness and Time

Posted by Raewyn G 
Kindness and Time
August 04, 2019 02:32AM
An elderly lady stopped me in the supermarket yesterday.
She noticed I had some soup mix and red split lentils in my trolley, and wanted to know where I had found them.
We got chatting how it was soup weather, and she asked what I was going to put into mine.
So I told her, chicken stock, rinsed soup mix and lentils, celery, parsnip,carrot, pumpkin, leeks, parsley and cooked chicken, salt and pepper to taste.
She smiled and said she was going to use a couple of lamb chops and lots of vegetables.

I saw her again in another part of the supermarket and she reached into her trolley and showed me her bag of soup mix.
Well done you I said. The smile on her face was priceless.

It costs nothing to be kind and giving a little time to the elderly in our community.
She came across to me to be a lonely old dear, so I hope she held onto that smile she had as we bid our farewells.

I hope her soup turned out as tasty as mine.
Made my day, and was glad to bring some kindess into her day. Bless her

Raewyn G
Re: Kindness and Time
August 04, 2019 05:22AM
A lovely post Raewyn G. Thanks for sharing.
Someone once gave me the quote. If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.
August 04, 2019 08:17AM
How lovely! You made my day Raewyn G.

Our daughter is unable to work due to a brain injury, her days are long, so she “adopted” an elderly lady and visits her weekly. It’s a win win as our daughter is lonely too (people are not always patient with those who are different). They may chat about the same things every visit but who cares. Sometimes they go out for coffee, but it’s just time that is the most precious gift.

When we are full of energy and have a partner to go out with we never give loneliness a thought - but who knows when it might come to us.
August 04, 2019 09:15AM
When I retire (a few years away) I would love to do something like that.
Be a buddy to people who dont have family close by.
My late mother was good at repeating conversations and I would always listen and only occassionally would say, "oh yes, I remember you telling me that Mum"
Am so pleased Ali that your daughter and her friend have each other. So special and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy
August 05, 2019 06:24AM
I am "buddy", in a very wide sense, to people who do not speak English as their first language. There is a huge issue, particularly in Auckland, of elderly immigrants who are extremely isolated. Yes some of them have family here but the reality is the younger family members are working 2 or 3 jobs to survive financially so the grandparents are alone for much of the time. They are often frightened to use public transport and to go out on their own. No, I don't speak another language but smiles, waves, signs and baking cakes and biscuits at my house are exhausting but rewarding.
August 06, 2019 06:02AM
Raewyn that is a lovely tale and I completely agree.
We need to make time to chat, particularly to those who may not get as much conversation as they would like.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.