Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

New Mac OS Catalina

Posted by TPANDAV 
New Mac OS Catalina
October 09, 2019 05:56AM
Just a word of warning to any Mac users here. I had lengthy problems with Catalina - it took overnight to download, more than four hours to install, then after two hours of the "setting up" process I decided it was stuck and after searching out advice I restarted the iMac, to find it was in fact set up. In the course of looking up what to do I ran across many instances of people having much worse problems than mine with it, so I suggest you hold off for a few days until the teething problems are sorted.
Re: New Mac OS Catalina
October 09, 2019 07:07AM
We are an all Mac household and were going to instal overnight. Thanks for your advice. Will wait for a few days now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 07:08AM by Chris.
October 09, 2019 07:40AM
And now I find that Catalina has drastically changed the scanning and saving process and "Photos" insists on "curating" my photos every time I open it. Dreadful! I've wasted so much time this afternoon just trying to scan and save one page. I know (hope) it will settle down but it's driving me mad!
October 09, 2019 08:27AM
TPANDAV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And now I find that Catalina has drastically
> changed the scanning and saving process and
> "Photos" insists on "curating" my photos every
> time I open it. Dreadful! I've wasted so much
> time this afternoon just trying to scan and save
> one page. I know (hope) it will settle down but
> it's driving me mad!

Oh dear. I am so sorry you have wasted so much time and I am so relieved to have seen your post before installing. Hope you’ll get it sorted. I’ll sit tight for the time being. I wonder if others here have installed Catalina and how they are finding it.
October 09, 2019 09:16AM
It's maddening how apps, offices, computers etc all try to be so helpful. Uhm, no. If I want my photos "curated" (omg, so stupid), I'll do it myself, thankyouverymuch. The time wasted undoing this stuff, as you've found out, is infinitely greater than the time it claims to have saved you by "fixing" your filing system.

I've been on the internet since the early 90s and I often yearn for the simpler (sort of!) days.
October 09, 2019 10:50AM
I updated my iPad last night - not the problems you others are having - however, it keeps telling me to complete the setting up. It wants me to add my credit card details and I am not going to.
October 17, 2019 12:45AM
TVANDAV, is Catalina now working well for you? We haven’t installed yet.
October 17, 2019 01:36AM
No, it's still driving me nuts. Many apps are running slowly, I had to reinstall my printer and scanner drivers and the scanner still isn't working properly. My computer freezes when I try to empty the trash bin, sometimes when I restart it freezes on starting and I have to turn it off again. There is an update for Catalina that I'm trying to install but haven't been able to so far (the download stalls).

If I were you I would wait a bit longer.
October 17, 2019 09:50PM
Thank you so much for the update. How annoying for you. We will wait.
October 20, 2019 05:49AM
Chris: After seven failed attempts I finally managed to download and install the first update for Catalina, and it has fixed many of the problems. My computer is running more smoothly and nothing has frozen yet. I suggest you search through some of the Mac user forums just to be sure that there aren't any fishhooks with your particular computer, then think about downloading Catalina now. Make sure you're not in the middle of an important project though, and be prepared for the whole process to take several hours.
October 20, 2019 11:40AM
TPANDAV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris: After seven failed attempts I finally
> managed to download and install the first update
> for Catalina, and it has fixed many of the
> problems. My computer is running more smoothly
> and nothing has frozen yet. I suggest you search
> through some of the Mac user forums just to be
> sure that there aren't any fishhooks with your
> particular computer, then think about downloading
> Catalina now. Make sure you're not in the middle
> of an important project though, and be prepared
> for the whole process to take several hours.

Thank you so much for your advice.
October 21, 2019 04:37AM
We are still running Mojave 10.14.6 at work (school - lots of Macs) as well as on my Mac - I think Ill keep using this operating system for the time being. Thanks for the heads up.

We have a software company who sorts this out for us, they have just set up NEW Macs and its not running Catalina - maybe this is why????

Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.