Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Women's shirts

Posted by J1 
J1
Women's shirts
October 12, 2019 11:52PM
Does anyone know of a shop or shops (preferably NZ but overseas will do too) that sell women's, preferably cotton (not linen), shirts that aren't just plain but at the same time not too flowery or gaudy, no stripes, no animal prints, for everyday or weekend wear? Maybe there are some shops in Auckland that have a good choice of shirts and have an online presence as well that I could have a look at?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2019 11:56PM by J1.
Re: Women's shirts
October 13, 2019 07:27AM
What about Ezibuy or Kmart online?I buy my everyday tops from these sites because I am at home mainly, but some are smart enough to duck to the shops in.I do have trouble sometimes with the cotton tops if I lift my arms or stretch forward so I tend to buy the tops with viscose or stretchy something.
October 13, 2019 09:02AM
Are you talking about a button up shirt? If so, back when I was shirt buying, I would get my more tailored clothes from Country Road, Sportscraft and Jigsaw (which I now see has racks in Farmers). I haven't shopped for such an item for a few years now, so don't know if they're styles have changed.
J1
October 13, 2019 08:49PM
Thanks for your replies. I've tried a few of those places. Yes, button up shirt or polo neck's fine too. I just struggle to get size, good tailoring, nice print, cotton fabric. I'll check Sportscraft, thanks.

Hmm, I just checked out theiconic.co.nz which has 88 pages of women's tops! (I looked at 24 pages before getting clothing fatigue.) The Ralph Lauren shirts kept jumping out at me - great tailoring. Now I just need him to do them in something rather than plain or plaid or stripes.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2019 09:42PM by J1.
October 14, 2019 12:48AM
I get these for work

[bananarepublic.gap.com]

For out of work, its Amazon. I have found that the shirts sold locally are made for taller frames or a just too boxy. Amazon have a lot in cotton.
October 14, 2019 01:46AM
Yes! Banana Republic! I know you said overseas was fine, but for some reason my head didn't register. In that case, I would also suggest the following. These are all places I shopped when I lived in the US.. fairly plain styling, above average quality. Don't know about shipping costs though. I've not tried them personally, but a friend has had good experiences with the Amazon Basics range of clothing. very cheap, lots of sizes, decently made and cheap shipping (last link). Just remember with US sizing, you uften need to go one down from your NZ size, i.e. if you're usually a 14 here, consider ordering a US12. Size charts are usually pretty accurate but reviews on fit are better.

[www.anntaylor.com]

[www.landsend.com]

[www.jcrew.com]

[www.jjill.com]
J1
October 14, 2019 04:44AM
Eek! I went to Banana Republic (I see theiconic.co.nz which I searched previously stocks Banana Republic clothing), went to Blouses, put in my US size (2!!!! - in America I've just about disappeared apparently), and got two choices! Hahahaha. As I mentioned, size is one of my problems.... I did get a bigger choice under their Button-Up Shirts category, although nothing with the right print.... I'll go check Amazon and those other ones, thanks Plates and Jenna.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2019 04:44AM by J1.
October 14, 2019 05:14AM
Ok, you're tiny then! Theoretically you should find a good range of petite sizing in US brands -- unless you're both thin and tall, that seems to really throw clothing manufacturers (I'm short and round, pants in NZ usually come up to my armpits, I loved the availability of petite plus as a size range in the US).

You could always try what they classify as "junior" sizing -- this is more young woman sizing, not kids, often 2 sizes up from your regular US size, so you'd probably be a 6 junior. The styles are often what differ, being more trend oriented, but you never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2019 05:15AM by Jenna.
October 14, 2019 06:44AM
Im a US size 2 as well and shop on the sites directly and there is always availability in that size. Banana Republic dont ship to NZ but I have used youshop, and only buy when the shirts are 30 USD or around that price which they seem to do a few times a year.
J1
October 14, 2019 09:11AM
You're right Jenna, the first thing that pleased me when I started looking at these sites was the "petite" option. I'd be defined as short, not tall. Interesting what you say about the junior sizing too - I have a fair number of clothing items from the boys' department....

Thanks Plate, I signed up to youshop several years ago and is it very handy.

I like this one [www.jcrew.com] and will keep and eye on it to see if my size becomes available again....
October 14, 2019 10:37AM
For years now I've been buying button-up cotton shirts with collars from op shops, but it's harder now to find good quality items. However, I recently bought a Trenery shirt from their airport shop in either Wellington or Auckland (can't remember which) and the quality is excellent.
October 14, 2021 05:53PM
Jenna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes! Banana Republic! I know you said overseas was
> fine, but for some reason my head didn't register.
> In that case, I would also suggest the following.
> These are all places I shopped when I lived in the
> US.. fairly plain styling, above average quality.
> Don't know about shipping costs though. I've not
> tried them personally, but a friend has had good
> experiences with the Amazon Basics range of
> clothing. very cheap, lots of sizes, decently made
> and cheap shipping (last link). Just remember with
> US sizing, you uften need to go one down from your
> NZ size, i.e. if you're usually a 14 here,
> consider ordering a US12. Size charts are usually
> pretty accurate but reviews on fit are better.
>
> [www.anntaylor.com]
>
> [www.landsend.com]
October 15, 2021 04:14AM
Jenna gave the link for Land's End - I buy a lot of long-sleeved t-shirts, swimwear and stuff like that from them. The stuff is very good quality, but also they have a fantastic range of different sizing options including petite. They ship to NZ so no need for Youshop (which seems to be getting more and more expensive). They also have great sales at the end of their seasons, which is handy as the clothes are then just at the right season for ussmiling smiley.
October 15, 2021 11:23PM
Sportscraft have lovely good quality shirts but they are not inexpensive.
Sportscraft Shirts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.