Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Curious

Posted by Annie H 
Curious
November 06, 2019 08:45PM
I enjoy reading foodlovers, and love the diversity of comments re ingredients, recipes, chit chat, and often wonder where the poster lives. Maybe this has already been done on this forum.
I live in Hastings - relocated back here from Auckland 19 years ago, and marvel at the changes in those 19 years, and the wonderful local produce/product available. Also the great public art on the streets of Hastings, Napier, and Havelock North.
Re: Curious
November 06, 2019 09:38PM
Originally Hamilton, now Rotorua - gorgeous lakes and an amazing forest together with cultural diversity. Love it.
November 06, 2019 11:46PM
I am originally from Hokitika and my parents are still there.
I now live in Auckland with husband Ed, our 3 teens and Spoodle Milo.
November 07, 2019 12:51AM
Melbourne born. Family migrated to Hamilton when I was 6 years old (many, many, many years ago). I went back to Melbourne with my husband to be and we lived there for 8 years. Both our sons were born in Melbourne, so the 3 of us have had Australian passports and only applied for NZ citizenship in the past decade. Returned to NZ to Hamilton again when the boys were little, and then to a 10 acre block just out of Ngaruawahia Unbelievably I was a rabbit farme (am a city girl). Marriage broke up so I moved back into Hamilton and since remarried and have been here since with hubby George and our beloved pooch Minnie, who is 15. And 2 granddaughters whom I absolutely adore, and a third on the way on George's side of the family.
November 07, 2019 02:01AM
Rabbit farmer? Irene I don't think I ever knew that.
November 07, 2019 02:58AM
helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rabbit farmer? Irene I don't think I ever knew
> that.

When we bought the ten acre block Helen, the previous owners had farmed rabbits in a large shed, and they were in cages. Mums with the babies until old enough in their own cage and bucks had their own pad. In today's PC world that appears cruel, but they had boxes within the cage, plus hay and rats couldn't get them. They said if we wanted they would leave the rabbits and everything that went with it at no extra cost, or they would kill off the entire lot.

I was a full time Mum then and said we would keep them. They were bred solely for meat, and the meat was exported to Asia. At that time there was an abbatoir in Pukekohe, You always had to take the does to the buck's cage for mating and not the other way around. Then after they had mated, Ms Rabbit would go back to her cage and date noted, and hopefully had a large amount of babies (can't remember what a junior rabbit is called. Maybe Peter and Peta. At our peak we had in the shed just over 400 rabbits.

When we started there was a profit when rabbits were sold vs the feed. But in the end the food was costing more than we were receiving for the rabbits. Decided to flag it then and stopped them mating, so numbers gradually declined. And what was left went into our freezer.

People do look at me aghast when I tell them I was a rabbit farmer. We had pigs, cows, sheep, chickens. Tried Geese but omg they are so noisy and nasty. Had a goat at one stage and I hate their eyes, they look Satanic to me - so he went to a neighbour's farm

That was a totally different lifestyle for me. I enjoyed it at the time as a Mum with two young toddlers, but would never entertain the thought of going back to that sort of a lifestyle
November 07, 2019 03:22AM
Originally from Dannevirke..
Started my working life in an office of a Builders Supplies firm.
Ventured to Scotland in 1980 and returned in 1986.
Worked my way up to Head Chef of a hotel there.
On my return, moved to Feilding and worked in Palmerston North. Head Chef of a restaurant.
Had a brief spell away from the restaurant trade, made redundant after 9 months.
In 1991 I got the job as Kitchen Co-ordinator at Arohanui Hospice in Palmerston North, and later moved to Palmy.
Still in Palmy, still at Hospice......... for a wee while longer I hope
Saving for my mobility scooter.......

Raewyn G
November 07, 2019 08:21PM
Thanks to those who have shared their journeys, have enjoyed reading your stories
November 07, 2019 10:28PM
Born and bred in Auckland. Moved to Hastings when I married. Have now lived in Ashburton for nearly 20 years, just love it here. Widowed 9 years ago, alas,. Have 2 lovely grandchildren living just a few blocks away from me.
November 09, 2019 09:10AM
These stories are nice to read ...
I grew up in Central Hawkes Bay, then went nursing in Palmerston North - a long time ago when hospital training was the thing. Love got in the way though, I left that career & worked in several sewing factories confused smiley for some years before our 1st child was born.
Back in CHB by then & husband decides this life is not what he expected, ta-ta - years move on & I later remarry, have 2 more boys - study hard at Massey & become an accountant. For maybe 16 or so years.
But last year though - a big 0 birthday - I decided to quit the corporate life, have travelled to the UK & now am a grocery assistant at a local New World.
Saving (of sorts) for my next overseas travel; family all grown & grandchildren welcome any time from now on (are you listening my boys, lol) smileys with beer
November 10, 2019 07:04AM
Great story Mantilla, and I bet you could tell us a few yarns from check out!!!
November 10, 2019 09:44AM
Mantilla what an interesting journey you are having.
Margaret it is lovely that your grandies are close at hand.
I just hope my children have kids way earlier than I did as I do want to have the grandmother experience!
November 11, 2019 06:21AM
Born in Christchurch, lived in Levin, Otorohanga and Auckland. Primary teacher. My happy place is Mount Maunganui where I have spent Xmas for over 40 years.
November 11, 2019 09:27AM
I live in Napier but I came from Wairoa so still in Hawkesbay.Lovely Town.
November 14, 2019 02:16AM
Born South Island West Coast. I grew up in the foothills of the Southern Alps. Married and moved over the alps to North Canterbury. Christchurch was my favourite city. One day I hope it is again, at least in the South Island. Then to Waikato and now Tauranga, Bay of Plenty.
Two children, one now lives in Brisbane with his family including my three grandsons. The other lives and works in Auckland.
November 14, 2019 09:44AM
Born in Wellington and grew up in the Hutt Valley, married and lived in Bunnythorpe/Wairarapa/Nelson, then back to the Wairarapa. Moved to Oz 1987. Lived in Melbourne for 12 months, then Perth for 10+ years, then Adelaide. Love it here.
As a family, we're spread across Oz & NZ now. I don't get back to NZ very often these days since Mum passed away, but when I do I'm always struck by how beautiful the country is, and by how much I never noticed that when I lived there.
Really enjoying reading the posts thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.