Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

NZ Herald Premium

Posted by Chris 
NZ Herald Premium
December 12, 2019 02:52AM
Although I don’t live in Auckland any longer, I still enjoyed catching up with news through the Herald. Premium has been going for a while now so I have been able to read only some articles. Just now I checked the Herald and was astonished to see that there was not a single article I could read for free. So, good bye Herald and hello New York Times. It’s subscribers only but offers me much more than the Herald. Do any of you subscribe to overseas papers?

Edited to say that I went into the site again and there are now some free articles available. Perhaps it changes from minute to minute?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2019 02:55AM by Chris.
Re: NZ Herald Premium
December 12, 2019 06:14AM
no there are always free articles, and to be honest I think the most popular writers such as Mike Hosking are never premium so I think their subscription revenue is lower compared to their advertising revenue.

Their was an article about Changi Airport in Singapore the other day that was 'premium' content. I just thought that was ridiculous. I should state I do not have a high opinion of the herald.
December 12, 2019 10:30AM
I actually like reading the Sydney Morning herald online and am tossing uo which news site to subscribe to.
NY times, Sydney Morning Herald or perhaps The Guardian UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2019 10:31AM by helen.
December 12, 2019 09:08PM
I read the NZ Herald online every morning but refuse to become a subscriber. So many of the articles are repeated on every page many times and for many days. If they cut out those repeats, it might make the site more appealing, but as it is, I have only contempt for the production. We can always get the news other ways, so I'll make use of the NZ Herald whenever I like and put it aside at other times.
December 13, 2019 03:48AM
There are always non-premium articles - they're in the minority but I tend to find they are the ones that are more news than clickbait anyway. For the best news coverage I look at Radio NZ News's website, which is unglamorous but straight to the point. If I were to subscribe to any newspaper it would be the New York Times, but I am a subscriber to The Atlantic and Vanity Fair magazines and they put out so much news on their websites I don't have time for anything else.
December 13, 2019 05:12AM
and often I find if I cut and paste the headline on a 'premium' article, it will be somewhere on the web. Looking at their current premium offerings which include ' the best new beauty products of 2019' and 'It's time to say goodbye to Star Wars' Yes that is really premium journalism material.
December 13, 2019 11:49PM
Thank you, CarolynC, for mentioning Radio NZ for news. Looks like it'll suit me down to the ground with it's no-nonesense approach and lack of advertising. I've added it to my NZ City homepage list of favourite sites and relegated NZ Herald to the rubbish bin, where it belongs.
December 13, 2019 11:54PM
Radio NZ is the first site I check in the morning. Well worth it and may it remain so.
December 14, 2019 08:19PM
Thanks for putting us onto the RadioNZ website for news. It's great.
jj
December 15, 2019 07:58AM
I read the Guardian, RNZ and the BBC News website mostly but I do follow the Otago Daily Times for some South Island news and also their food and gardening features.
December 15, 2019 08:42AM
We do reluctantly subscribe to The Herald, but only for the sake of reading Steve Braunias and Simon Wilson, and the occasional Financial Times piece which would otherwise be paywalled. Our days subscribing are numbered though as there is so much trash and clickbait that I start to feel grubby even opening the app. I agree that Radio NZ news is excellent for local news.

We subscribe to The Washington Post and The Guardian, which to me give a good broad overview of global politics; The Guardian has great reviews in its "Culture" section, and its "Lifestyle" section has fantastic restaurant reviews.

We used to subscribe to The Times until the cost went way up. I now find that some Times writers give on Twitter free shared access to their columns, including Giles Coren, who is always entertaining.
December 15, 2019 09:58AM
TPANDAV, we subscribe to the ODT and Steve Braunias’s columns are featured on Saturdays and a highlight for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2019 09:59AM by Chris.
December 17, 2019 09:06PM
Well NZH must be doing well with its Premium Subscription - it is on offer today on Grabone
3 months: $49
6 months: $99
1 year: $199

If you purchase via their website a year is $260.

Premium Journalism is obviously selling well - not
December 17, 2019 10:15PM
Had to laugh about your comment, Irene. I think they might struggle to increase their subscribers.
December 19, 2019 03:01AM
Hi there,

I read the herald every day, but I don’t pay for premiums. I do read Stuff and Newshub.
December 19, 2019 05:15AM
I am the same Zeetra (plus some tacky celebrity websites for juicy goss)
December 19, 2019 06:09AM
I saw a Mike Hosking article premium today......maybe they have read this thread. Still wouldn't pay.
December 28, 2019 02:52AM
I read Stuff and the NZ Herald online but do pay to subscribe to the Washington Post - I love that newspaper.

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.