Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Hi You Woke Peeps

Posted by Chris 
Hi You Woke Peeps
January 09, 2020 03:20AM
Now that I have put this in writing I shall never use these words again apart from in this post. I know that languages keep on evolving but not always in a desirable way in my opinion. I must be really old now for some newly coined words to annoy me; those ones and also that so many words in cooking are now combined with ‘goodness’, like buttery goodness, chocolaty goodness and a particular annoying one for me is buttery goodness. I like butter, but where does the goodness come in? Alright you lovely woke peeps,End Of Rant. drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 03:21AM by Chris.
Re: Hi You Woke Peeps
January 09, 2020 04:04AM
Boy, I had to read that post heading a couple of times before I twigged! Like you Chris, I despair at the so-called evolution of the language and not only that the enunciation of words. There are a couple of youngsters at work whom I simply cannot understand - while they are as Kiwi as I am, they seem to be speaking a foreign language.

..and what does 'woke' actually mean and where did it come from?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
January 09, 2020 04:08AM
I agree. That kind of gushing verbosity is unbelievably annoying, especially if one is simply looking for a recipe. In fact I was reading a long Twitter thread today in which someone was complaining about looking for a ricotta recipe and having to wade through pages' worth of banal remarks about Sicily. The thread was joined by hundreds of people agreeing.

I think the long-windedness of most blogs might be based on the need to fill out the spaces between advertisements. Food blogs seem to be particularly bad in this respect.
January 09, 2020 04:12AM
Barbara Anne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> ..and what does 'woke' actually mean and where did
> it come from?
>

Here you are: [www.kut.org]

Being "woke" is actually a good thing, but it's become meaningless from overuse and now is mainly used ironically.
January 09, 2020 06:36AM
Oh, I forgot about ‘sugary goodness’ and what is wrong with using the word people instead of peeps? I cringe when older people use the word peeps.
January 09, 2020 08:24AM
"Peeps" is just awful, isn't it. It's not exactly modern either, dates back to around 2003. It bears the same fake chumminess as "buttery goodness", the language of marketing.
January 09, 2020 09:52AM
Rant away Chris. I may do it under my breath but I do it often with some of the language commonly used.
January 09, 2020 10:30AM
This makes me laugh.
There is a very popular food personality who uses all sorts of words/phrases like this and while I have nothing against the person concerned, the gush factor or fake chumminess is just something I don't understand. haha,
January 09, 2020 01:48PM
Laughed out loud at your post, Chris! Feeling you (see what I did there?smiling smiley) on "buttery goodness" - it reminds my of my business partner whose pet hate is the phrase, seen often on US cooking shows, "ooey gooey". What are we, five?
January 10, 2020 08:41PM
Wow Chris, that is a very trendy subject heading! Your post made my day in two ways, one, it was hilarious, and two, I feel exactly as you do about those detestable words!angry smiley Radio talk back hosts and news media seem to think it's so trendy to fit 'woke' into their sentences! I am not a registered member of face book but have access to our community public face book and it repels me every time I see the word 'peeps'.

What next I wonder? If I was to be re-born in 50+ years time I probably wouldn't be able to understand the language!smiling smiley
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 08:41PM by Dawn.
January 10, 2020 10:13PM
Yes, Dawn. It would probably sound like Shakespearien English does to us. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.