Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Covid-19 and Personal Grooming

Posted by Irene Field 
Covid-19 and Personal Grooming
March 25, 2020 02:47AM
This is definitely a first world problem. Have been in self-isolation which finishes tomorrow, but now we are in lockdown tonight, so that will be at least six weeks for us - hopefully?

I was booked in for a hair appointment next week and that is dunzo. Once we see friends again, we will also see true hair colours and heads of hair that have missed out on haircuts smiling smiley It took me a long time to find a facial moisturiser that worked, and I knew I had enough until next week - and now it's oh oh she aint gonna last.

But as I said, definitely a first world problem and one I am willing to bear, and have no choice but to do otherwise

In four weeks I won't have a hairstyle to speak of, my hair will be mottled pink, blonde and grey and my forehead will resemble pangolin skin. It pays to keep a sense of humour in these unprecedented times
Re: Covid-19 and Personal Grooming
March 25, 2020 03:34AM
Maybe Irene, but your beauty from within will shine! and we love you no matter what.
Mine will be every colour too. Never mind, I have a hat on most days so all good.
Stay safe dear lady and to all Foodlovers
Hugs
Raewyn G
March 25, 2020 03:49AM
Irene, I was thinking this morning that there will be a big spike in on-line shopping over the next month as I believe couriers will still be operating as they are regarded as essential services (in which case you could order your moisturiser) but I understand that even on-line shops are required to close. I'm not sure what the situation is with Trade Me - maybe someone can enlighten.

...and we can't even go huntin', shootin', fishin' or trampin', lest we get into trouble and put pressure on emergency services, which I guess is fair enough but I bet a lot of people were planning on doing that sort of thing while they have been stood down from their jobs.

So it's going to be a long four weeks or possibly even more.

Take care everyone.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
March 25, 2020 03:52AM
I'm giving my 14yo son an isolation haircut with the clippers later today smiling smiley Ordinarily I would not go anywhere near cutting his hair, nor would he let me, but we've decided to have some fun with this knowing that it will have grown out by the time he goes back to school.
March 25, 2020 04:52AM
Raewyn, you are a darling and thanks for such a lovely comment. Barbara Anne, I believe couriers will be operating but I read this morning only for essential services, and anything else may be delayed and delivery cannot be guaranteed - I don't want a parcel to go missing and to have no one to follow it up with. I think online shopping will take a breather

Regarding the moisturiser - I could have purchased it from Farmers online, but when I open my wallet moths fly out. And I have 2 x $20 Vouchers for Farmers that I wanted to use, to bring the cost down. And you can't offset vouchers with online shopping. So Pangolin skin it may well be.

Best of luck Jenna... let us know how you go.
March 26, 2020 12:12AM
Barbara Anne, if you are a TradeMe member, you may have received an email from them yesterday, but just in case you didn't, and for anyone else who wants to know, here is a copy and paste of what the email to me said:

COVID-19 is an evolving situation and our courier partners have informed us today that they can now only take bookings from essential businesses. This means there are some new changes to our services.

What this means for all buyers

• Only some trades will be able to be completed as normal. This will depend on whether the seller is a professional seller, essential business or casual seller.

• You can still browse listings from casual sellers and place bids. However, you won’t be able to complete the purchase while NZ is at alert level 4. We’re taking these steps because we don’t want to encourage any non-essential travel, face-to-face contact or courier bookings.

• You can still browse and purchase listings from professional sellers, however your only payment option will be Ping so that you’re covered by our Buyer Protection policy. If a seller is an essential business they’ll be able to courier the item to you. If they aren’t an essential business, the item will not be sent to you until we’re no longer at alert level 4 which could be longer than four weeks. We’ll hold the funds until all courier bookings and pick-ups are able to proceed again.

What this means for casual sellers

• While New Zealand is at alert level 4, any Marketplace (general items) will be extended by four weeks and Buy Now prices will be removed. You can continue to create auctions, and these will also be extended.

• This means that members won’t be able to buy your item(s), however they can still bid, browse or save items to their Watchlist.

• As couriers are only allowed to pick up items from essential businesses, our ‘Book a courier’ service is not available.

• If you’ve sold something recently, please work with the buyer to come to an agreement. However, you’ll need to wait until couriers are able to deliver non-essential items again if you haven’t arranged shipping yet.

• If you need to withdraw your auction, you won’t be charged a withdrawal fee.

• At this time, we’re not allowing withdrawals from Ping. For casual sellers and essential businesses, this is a temporary change for a few days. For other professional sellers, this is to help us ensure buyer’s payments are kept safe until we can be sure that sellers can deliver items.
If you’re a Professional Seller, we’ll be sending you a separate email with more details about what your options are.

To keep up to date on any COVID-19 updates, please see our site announcement.
March 30, 2020 08:25AM
I got my hair coloured about two weeks before lockdown though I can already see some regrowth. Husband didn't get his done and has produced a pair of hair clippers and wants me to give him a Number 2 cut.

I'm not keen, but he is insistent - is this something I can muck up? Any tips?

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]
J1
March 30, 2020 09:22AM
Watch some youtube videos? [www.youtube.com] Or maybe give the clippers back to him and he can do it himself. My other half has been doing his own for several years now; he has Wahl clippers.
March 30, 2020 10:00AM
I am contemplating cutting my own hair. It now has no style whatsoever and the top resembles a roosters comb . Like you Jacki the roots are showing. Two weeks self isolation and now lockdown doesn’t help

On FB the Breeze female announcer has cut her own and her photo showed her with a big clump of cut hair. A hairdresser commented to avoid YouTube- no idea why

I figure if I do the deed tomorrow it has a minimum of three weeks to grow back

The same will apply for using clippers. In the end his hair will grow back and if he isn’t working?
March 30, 2020 10:18PM
On the brighter/funnier side if it (if I can look at things in a more amusing light!) we are all in the same boat and going to have some 'gorgeous' (or hideous?) hair cuts and colours by the time we circulate again...………..and then there's the wait to get an appointment with the hairdresser! eye popping smiley
Such fun!
Regards,
Dawn.
March 31, 2020 12:55AM
J1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watch some youtube videos?
> [www.youtube.com] Or
> maybe give the clippers back to him and he can do
> it himself. My other half has been doing his own
> for several years now; he has Wahl clippers.

Thanks, I didn't think of You Tube, will have a watch and see how confident I feel after that. Thanks, Jacki

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]
March 31, 2020 12:59AM
Irene Field Wrote:
> I am contemplating cutting my own hair. It now has
> no style whatsoever and the top resembles a
> roosters comb . Like you Jacki the roots are
> showing. Two weeks self isolation and now lockdown
> doesn’t help
>
> On FB the Breeze female announcer has cut her own
> and her photo showed her with a big clump of cut
> hair. A hairdresser commented to avoid YouTube- no
> idea why
>
> I figure if I do the deed tomorrow it has a
> minimum of three weeks to grow back
>
> The same will apply for using clippers. In the end
> his hair will grow back and if he isn’t working?

He's working (part time) from home so I guess for a while it would only be me who had to see it! I had to go to the supermarket yesterday (so annoying as we probably could have lasted several weeks at least) as we forgot the cat litter. I spotted a Clairol Root Touch up so I bought it though I think things will have to be looking pretty dire for me to risk it as I have never been any good at doing my hair. Good luck if you go ahead with the cut!!!

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]
March 31, 2020 02:29AM
Jacki1 Wrote:
> Irene Field Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am contemplating cutting my own hair. It now
> has
> > no style whatsoever and the top resembles a
> > roosters comb . Like you Jacki the roots are
> > showing. Two weeks self isolation and now
> lockdown
> > doesn’t help
> >
> > On FB the Breeze female announcer has cut her
> own
> > and her photo showed her with a big clump of
> cut
> > hair. A hairdresser commented to avoid YouTube-
> no
> > idea why
> >
> > I figure if I do the deed tomorrow it has a
> > minimum of three weeks to grow back
> >
> > The same will apply for using clippers. In the
> end
> > his hair will grow back and if he isn’t
> working?
>
> He's working (part time) from home so I guess for
> a while it would only be me who had to see it! I
> had to go to the supermarket yesterday (so
> annoying as we probably could have lasted several
> weeks at least) as we forgot the cat litter. I
> spotted a Clairol Root Touch up so I bought it
> though I think things will have to be looking
> pretty dire for me to risk it as I have never been
> any good at doing my hair. Good luck if you go
> ahead with the cut!!!

Well I did the deed this morning and am so pleased I did. It doesn’t look like the hatchet job I expected but my hairdresser may think otherwise when I can get back there. smiling smiley

Edited to add (facetiously) Just think, in future years I will reminisce about the time I cut my own hair and the grandies will no doubt roll their eyes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 02:32AM by Irene Field.
March 31, 2020 02:55PM
I have long hair, so at least I don't have to worry about cutting it, but that's not a lot of consolation when the roots start showingsmiling smiley. I have hairdressing scissors as I trim my fringe between salon appointments, and I offered to have a bash at cutting my mother's hair which she declined. I told her she'd come crawling back begging for my tender ministrations before the lockdown is oversmiling smiley.
April 02, 2020 02:18PM
Hi! Is somebody from London here?
April 02, 2020 11:38PM
I suppose it's remotely possible, WillH5080, as it's a New Zealand website, it's not likely. However, I am English, born in Bristol but moved to Staines when I was about 7 then emigrated to NZ when I was 22. Can I be of any help?
April 12, 2020 07:05AM
Well as suggested, I watched some You Tube videos on Clipper cuts and did his hair today. It actually didn't turn out too bad although he did comment I was heaps slower than his usual hair dresser! Strangely I quite enjoyed it too.....

He is making noises about not going back to his hairdresser though I think and hope he is joking! smiling smiley
April 12, 2020 10:31AM
I'm quite erratic with haircuts so no issue here but I am starting to look at our dogs with some concern. Both were overdue for haircuts before we went into lockdown. I am thinking I might have to get involved, the old dog will sit still but with the puppy we have no chance.
April 12, 2020 02:48PM
Easier for boys and men during the lockdown. If you have a trimmer at home, they can keep their hairdo just fine. Tougher for ladies who used to die their hair though as you'll likely never do the same quality job a pro does. But this is indeed a first world problem. Let's face it, we're all on the same boat, it's not like anyone will come out of this looking impeccable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.