Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cleaning Windows

Posted by amwilliams 
Cleaning Windows
May 15, 2020 03:11AM
Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning windows?
Have had the Spider and Fly spray man do the outside windows and they had to be left for 10 days before cleaning.
I have tried to search for previous comments but it doesn't come up with anything. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Averil
Re: Cleaning Windows
May 15, 2020 03:21AM
Wet windows with hose
Use a soft broom in a bucket warm water with Handy Andy or cleaner with ammonia in it.
Broom the windows, and rinse with hose.
They will dry streak free with this method.
I wish someone would pop around and do mine LOL
All the best

Raewyn G
May 16, 2020 05:03AM
I clean the inside with methylated spirits and newspaper.
The outside the same as Raewyn.
May 16, 2020 12:16PM
Thanks Helen and Raewyn for your suggestions. Will try those ideas.
May 16, 2020 11:11PM
Averil, it depends on whether you can reach the windows or if they are high and out of reach, and need to drip dry. If the latter, I have always used a similar method to Raewyn using a telescopic brush.

Otherwise I prefer to do them by hand both inside and out. Having tried various methods and products over the years, I've concluded that the very best result is obtained by using isopropyl alcohol (sometimes called rubbing alcohol). It is available in various forms and quantities - if you buy full strength, a 50/50 mix with water is fine for windows. Just spray on, wipe over with a damp cloth and squeegee off - brilliant! This stuff is also good for sanitising surfaces, including computer keyboards and touch screens, so handy to have around in our current climate. Use in a 70/30 ratio mix with water for sanitising.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
May 18, 2020 01:06AM
A window cleaner told me to use meths and water in a ratio of 1:4. I put this in a squeeze bottle and it's great - haven't tried it for anything large-scale, but it's excellent on mirrors as well.
May 19, 2020 01:41PM
Hi,

I use hot soapy water, I use dish liquid. I then use a microfiber cloth if I'm inside and a soft broom if outside.
I then squeegee the windows and buff with a dry microfibre cloth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.