Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

wool pilling

Posted by karena 
wool pilling
July 17, 2020 12:39PM
It is so hard to find wool that doesn't pill these days - the only pure wool knitted garments I have which haven't pilled date back to the 1980s, and new merino wool these days is just as bad. The only mix that seems to work is possum, merino and silk, and of course you pay a premium for this. I understand that pilling has something to do with the length of the fibres, so is it the type of wool being used or something in the manufacturing process?
J1
Re: wool pilling
July 17, 2020 01:19PM
My mother was a great knitter and she made us heaps of jerseys, cardigans, jackets, etc. This was in the 1960s and 70s. Pretty much everything pilled. It's just the way it is. Every now and again, I'd lay a garment out and just spend a little time picking them all off. The pilling gradually reduces. This might even be the explanation for why your 1980s garments don't have pilling - they've done all their pilling in the previous decades. I don't think it has a lot to do with the quality of the yarn, as my mother bought a lot of good quality wool in those days.
July 18, 2020 12:43AM
Sorry J1, I have to disagree. The knitting wool from a long while ago was so superior than what is available today. I still prefer to wear wool for warmth and sorry to say thin merino just does not feel cosy. My hand knits are relegated to house wear after a couple of years as they “bloom” from pilling. The beautiful knitting wool from the factories in the south island was such quality. Glen Mist was a crepe weave and particularly lovely to work with..

I keep trying to support the local online yarn stores, but they can only offer what is available.

I am also surprised how delighted most young mum's are with hand knitting and are prepared to care for the garments properly.

I am keen to hear if anyone finds a reasonable priced good supply.
July 20, 2020 12:33PM
Sadly I have to agree with you, Ali W. My 80's and early 90's garments which I knitted myself back then have been worn constantly over the years and have never pilled, and I'm sure it's because the NZ-made knitting wool we used to be able to buy (Alliance Textiles 'Fontana', Shepherd, and Mosgiel Woollens 'Aotea' for example) were superb quality. Shepherd made Glen Mist crepe.
J1
July 20, 2020 08:39PM
I guess something missing in my experience is wearing garments home knitted from the currently available wool. It sounds like it's far worse for pilling.

Have you tried ones like Ashford Tekapo [www.knitworld.co.nz] which says "semi worsted yarn is a blend of corriedale and perendale especially designed for softness and strength. It is lofty and bulky and ideal for knitting, weaving and knit/felt garments, accessories and projects." (the mill - [www.ashford.co.nz] )

There's Crucci wool [www.crucci.co.nz]

Also:
Naturally Big Natural 8 Ply Wool Yarn (NZ wool & made in NZ) [www.spotlightstores.com]
Countrywide Yarns Natural Chunky (South Island wool & made in NZ) [www.knitworld.co.nz]
Magic Garden Classic (NZ wool & made in NZ) [www.knitworld.co.nz]
Lodge Aran (has a viscose tweed effect) (all sold out though....) [www.skeinz.com]
Southlander DK & Bulky [www.skeinz.com]

Here’s a Shepherd wool but Spotlight store says it's NZ wool made in Australia and this website [willoughbys.nz] says it's made in NZ, so who knows.

But I see in looking for those, the market is definitely full of non-NZ wool, merino wool and all the add-ons of possum, alpaca, etc. The only thing my mother used to have to navigate around was acrylics. What a shame. Hopefully a renaissance is in the wings. They were talking about it for carpet. We always choose 100% NZ wool carpet but you sure have to weave your way around all the pretenders and fakes. I didn't realise the knitting wool world had gone so badly the same way.

Edited to add - I thought you might be interested in this website – Vintage Treasure - which I found along the way. [www.vintagetreasurenz.com] Looks like she posted about all the vintage wool for sale in 2012 but it sold out long ago…

Also, I came across these further yarns that may be worthwhile:
[vintagepurls.co.nz]
1. Vintage Purls Superstar (4ply) 70% N.Z. Polwarth, 20% Tussah Silk, 10% N.Z. Black Merino. A beautiful garment and accessory yarn. Ideal for colour work. Warm, light and soft to wear. Milled in Napier, hand-dyed in Dunedin, spun from beautiful New Zealand wools. This is NZ yarn at its finest.
2. Superstar Sport Edition (6ply) same details as above

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2020 08:53PM by J1.
July 21, 2020 03:43AM
I crochet rather than knit, but have also noticed the distinct downward trend in wool quality, even in the last 8-10 years. And of course the lovely stuff is far too expensive to actually use. At $20 (or more) a ball when you need 2 just for a beanie, it is just painful. A blanket or jersey can need the region of 20 balls sad smiley I suppose it comes down to reduced demand.

I find the Cleckheaton Country range a good middle ground, but is is Australian rather than NZ wool, and I'm sure it'll still pill. But at least it is nice to work with and not horrendously expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2020 03:46AM by Jenna.
July 21, 2020 11:43PM
Last year I bought Ed an Untouched World jumper, it is merino, possum, silk combination. It was expensive at $449 (Christmas and birthday gift), but the most beautiful soft jersey and despite being worn every other day it hasn't pilled at all.
The Icebreaker knits don't pill either, we have an assortment of them in the house that are years old and no pills. They are firmer garments.
At times I buy myself a cashmere jersey and then wish I hadn't due to pilling and losing shape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2020 11:43PM by helen.
July 22, 2020 12:41AM
I've got a Nom D merino cardigan which I bought at least ten years ago, made in NZ from NZ merino, and despite being worn regularly it has no pilling at all. It was extremely expensive.

This makes me think that there is good quality yarn available in NZ but maybe at a high price.
July 24, 2020 08:07AM
I'm a new knitter and have made several garments from Crucci wool - so far no pilling at all. I love to support local wool brands and only wish there were more of them.
July 27, 2020 06:54AM
I wonder if there was any added change to wool when a lot of garments became machine washable.
Once I used to hand wash all woollen garments, those I had knitted and those that were ready made. Now I only hand wash the very expensive ones.
Regardless of the cost, some pill and others don't.
July 29, 2020 02:54AM
There's a good article been written by the Perriam New Zealand Knitting Family on their Facebook page about pilling. Worth a read. It's an interesting group to join about wool and patterns. I am very frustrated by the current wools that you buy and knit up and then they rub and pill immediately. I still like the older crepe wool if I can get hold of any.
July 29, 2020 12:32PM
I've just read the Perriam article, and although they say they are working on making their wool pill less they recommend using a de-pilling (shaving) device. I know these remove the pilling, but logic says they must also eventually weaken the fabric.
July 30, 2020 12:07AM
Karena, I have several Perriam jerseys. I have had them for years and they get a lot of wear. One of them in partucular had an odd smell after washing and a farir amount pilling. I was disappointed given the rather high price. I removed the pilling and might have done it again after the next wash and it hasn’t pilled since. My disappointment didn’t last and I would not hesitate buying again. However, I bought ready made and not just the wool.

Edited to say that the smell was of really wet wool that I normally don’t get when I wash other woollen garments. The smell wasn’t there after drying and it doesn’ happen now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 12:30AM by Chris.
July 30, 2020 12:11AM
I've got about 4 balls of black crepe wool.. the last of my stash from 15 years ago when I was making little crochet ninja's and such. Crepe is SO much easier to work with in small stitches as it doesn't split. Unfortunately I don't have enough for a garment much bigger than a hat smiling smiley
August 07, 2020 05:26AM
I used crepe wool in a tapestry (Florentine design) for a piano seat. Rather a large achievement when I was just 13 or 14.
That's over 45 years ago and it has never pilled.
I haven't shopped for crepe wool since, so I don't know if you can still buy it.

A slightly different thing, but still wool. A friend has a beautiful mohair beanie that was washed and the water was a little too hot, and it shrunk. She read somewhere to re wash it in hair conditioner and to massage the item. She has revived her favourite hat.
I wonder if the hair conditioner would calm down items that are pilling.......
Just a thought

Raewyn G
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.