Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Non-sythentic pillow inners

Posted by Plates 
Non-sythentic pillow inners
November 27, 2020 06:37AM
I was thinking about buying a couple of pillows that had duck/goose down/feather inners rather than polyester fill.

Wallace Cotton are having a 20% off sale, and was wondering if anyone has got such a pillow, and what they are like.
Re: Non-sythentic pillow inners
November 27, 2020 06:54AM
Yep and I love it. I use two pillows, a feather/down on top and a firm, flat polyester pillow underneath. I'm a tummy/side sleeper and usually sleep with the edge of the feather/down pillow scrunched up under my face just where I need it to lift a little. Mine isn't Wallace Cotton brand though, I bought mine in the US eons ago.
November 27, 2020 08:18PM
I am wanting to buy new pillows as well but I am trying to replace the feather/down pillows that I use as I don't like the crunching noise that they make.I am thinking about memory foam this time.It does seem hard to find a perfect pillow and they are an important item to choose.Maybe Plates they might not bother you, but it might help to feel them first.
November 28, 2020 03:08AM
Thank you both for the helpful responses.
November 28, 2020 05:42AM
If you have a Harvey Norman near you they usually have all the pillows they sell on their beds so you can try them out. Find a bed that feels similar to yours as that will help you judge how it will feel once you get it home.
For non-synthetic look for latex, silk, wool, tencel (made from the eucalyptus tree) which are some examples.
Take your time as there are different heights too.
November 29, 2020 06:04AM
That is good advice thank you Sandy.We do have a Harvey Norman store and I will try this out.I didn't know that there were many choices in pillows as I usually just head to briscoes and try to buy the one on special at the time.This is good to know thanks.
November 29, 2020 09:09PM
I love my down pillows and wouldn't use anything else. Never had any "crunching noise" so maybe there is a difference between goose vs duck down.
December 03, 2020 04:37AM
I only use down pillows and love them. I think the crunch is the feathers so if you buy 90% down then you will be fine.
I bought one the other day at Briscoes sale for less than half price. I tend to buy a new one every year or so and then move them around the beds in the house.
Uni students get to take old pillows.
Ed doesn't like down, he prefers something firm eg rubber.
December 03, 2020 08:33AM
I agree Helen that crunch comes from cheap feather and down pillows that I have bought on special probably from Briscoes.My mistake, I am not complaining about Briscoes but as you say best to buy 90% down..
December 03, 2020 10:47AM
It’s down for me as well. I have tried lambs wool, latex, feather and down mix with mostly feather and synthetic fillings which I seem to slide off. Nothing beats down for comfort. I buy when I see a good special offer.
December 07, 2020 07:56AM
I ended buying a 50/50 goose/duck down inner with no feather. It is very nice, but was $229. What does everyone else buy?
December 10, 2020 07:20AM
Plates I tend to buy expensive pillows when on sale. I pay $125 ish for them when they are 50% off.
My logic is that we spend so much time in bed and need to be comfortable.
J1
December 21, 2021 05:59AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2021 05:50AM by J1.
December 21, 2021 06:35AM
Plates, check out eiderdown.co.nz. I bought Hungarian goose down pillows from them. They are very expensive but just great and more affordable when they are on special and worth waiting for. If you go on their mailing list you’ll get informed when they have a sale. The duvet inners are also excellent and very much appreciated for winter in Wanaka.
December 21, 2021 08:24AM
What an interesting site. As you say, the prices are pretty eyewatering but should I come into money I'd be their best customer.
December 21, 2021 10:05PM
TPANDAV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What an interesting site. As you say, the prices
> are pretty eyewatering but should I come into
> money I'd be their best customer.

Their prices when they have specials are very competitive and specials are not infrequent.
December 21, 2021 11:59PM
Yes, agree - keep an eye on the site for specials. I think I got about 40% off when I bought a duvet inner and pillows for our bed. I was so impressed that I bought a 'four seasons' duvet inner for my son who lives in a colder part of the country. It is essentially two duvet inners which you button together for winter, the heavier of the two is for spring and autumn and the light one is for summer - he just loves it.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
December 25, 2021 11:02PM
Eiderdown are having a great sale. 90% goose down pillows for $250 instead of $499. Worth considering if you are looking for pillows. I am really happy with the o es I bought.
December 26, 2021 09:22PM
Thanks for that website. The profile is 90% goose down is much better than the 50% goosedown from wallace cotton.
December 26, 2021 11:49PM
...and not only that, Plates - not all goose down is created equal. Eiderdown's products are Hungarian goose down which is the finest quality in the world. The blurb on Eiderdown's website is worth reading. No I don't work for them, I just think their products are beautiful.

Happy New Year everyone!

Regards,

Barbara Anne
December 27, 2021 10:34AM
But the poor little bald goosies?!!!!!
December 27, 2021 10:54AM
Griz, the little goosies (geese, goslings?) are reportedly not killed or harmed in the process of harvesting their down and that's why it's promoted as a sustainable product as per the Eiderdown website.

Not sure of the logistics but if both man and beast benefit, then I don't believe there is an issue.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
December 27, 2021 08:18PM
In my calendar as a 2022 boxing day potential purchase.
J1
December 28, 2021 07:48AM
Plates, I don't know if you want to purchase from eiderdown.co.nz this year or not but their "Boxing Day Sale", with 50% off all pillows, isn't just on Boxing Day - the sale ends at 11:59pm Tuesday 4th January.
December 28, 2021 07:56AM
J1, put in my calendar for next year.....bit of job uncertainty due to covid.
December 28, 2021 08:04AM
Plates, there will be other excellent sales during the year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.