Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Just being

Posted by Ali W 
Just being
March 26, 2021 09:34PM
Yesterday I went with 5 friends on a day trip to another city. Two carloads drove separately and stopped independently for coffee. When I am with my husband on a trip we just go and get there without stops unless necessary. I thoroughly enjoyed the time sitting in a group in the sun while we sipped and chatted. There was no hurry.

After we went to our planned event we sat again over lunch and chatted.

I decided that one of the best things in life is “Just being”
Re: Just being
March 27, 2021 07:16AM
I agree with you Ali - it is often the destination that we focus on and the journey is the means to that end, and not necessarily the bit we enjoy.

We live in the Far North and on our trips to Auckland, we usually have several things lined up that we want to achieve which usually involve a couple of appointments. We have always done 'round trips' leaving early in the morning and often arriving back late at night, albeit with a break for dinner but after seven hours of driving to and from never mind the stress of Auckland traffic, we have recently decided that enough is enough and in future we will stay the night in Auckland.

I am hoping that now the pressure is off, we will be able to stop along the way to visit places that we have previously flashed past and also to drive down side roads and explore various little towns and places of interest which are only a few kms off SH 1 but which we have never visited.

...and, as you say Ali, sit in the sun over lunch or coffee and enjoy just being there.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
March 27, 2021 09:05AM
I hear you Barbara Anne. For the first couple of years after we moved out of Auckland we were visiting there around once a month, each time spending the whole day driving around visiting friends, shopping for foodstuffs that we couldn't get locally, trips to dentist and doctor etc. it was exhausting, and ultimately pointless because all of those things (apart from friends) were either unnecessary
or available in our new home town.

With hindsight I think we were just being a bit hysterical about tearing ourselves away from the city. Anyway, I've settled down now and am perfectly content to move slowly and largely stay local.
March 29, 2021 07:23AM
When we go away we love stopping for a coffee in a town on our way, nice to try different places & see different faces. We don’t shop just coffee & a scone.
April 02, 2021 06:37AM
I love diving into cafes for coffees and lunches. Recently tho when we have gone on a journey I have packed a picnic lunch and filled the thermos, popped 2 chairs into the boot and off we go. We go to cafe for morn tea but find a nice spot for lunch and sit like ma n pa with our picnic lunch. I have to say we both say it's a lovely change. I do make an effort tho with lunch. Nice bread and fillings.

Now others come with us for a lunch. We pick a nice day, go not too far away, and a lovely spot. Such fun!!.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.