Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Nortons Antivirus

Posted by Megan 
Megan
Nortons Antivirus
October 21, 2004 11:56AM
Hello - my Nortons Antivirus is about to run out and I'm thinking of trying AVG free version (Nortons 2004 is $115.00 to buy).

Does anyone use AVG - your thoughts please.
Re: Nortons Antivirus
October 21, 2004 12:01PM
Have used AVG for two years now and it works fine.
As I do a lot of surfing (into Genealogy) I update every week.

October 21, 2004 12:18PM
I have been using AVG for a while now and find it very easy to use.

My son, who is a computer programmer, says it is one of the best he has seen, and uses it at work.
October 21, 2004 12:31PM
Hi,

I work in IT, and I've used it myself for years, and can recommend it.

It is important to ensure that it is updating daily.

The two other security programs I am never without are Zone Alarm Fiewall (free edition from [www.zonelabs.com]) and Spybot (free from [security.kolla.de]).

Regards
Claire
[www.Quirk.co.nz]
Raewyn G
October 21, 2004 08:18PM
I have AVG and Nortons. AVG very good as others have said and I have it programmed to update daily. Of course you need to be on line at the time you set it to update.
I had a 6 months free Nortons when I bought my computer and have recently subscribed for 12 months. I think it was $47. Have an automatic update scheduled for this also.
Have disarmed the Zone Alarm as it was blocking emails and I couldnt send or receive. Problem solved.
I have found by running the two that once a virus was picked up on AVG but not Nortons and the later had run its scan first.
I also have adaware for the ...........oh what do you call it...........is it spyware?
So I'm like a rifle, all loaded and ready to shoot at this junk that we have no control over. Prior to all this I was badly burnt with spyware and a virus, a very expensive lesson. Now I feel all bases are covered.
Hope this is helpful to you.
Raewyn?:-(The computer novice!!!!
Oh! and I have an 0900 block on my telephone line and internet connection, FREE from Telecom, even though Telecom isn't my service provider.
Sue
October 21, 2004 11:10PM
I have just started computer night classes and we were talking about this last night. The tutor (who owns a computer shop) advised not to use the free virus checks and recommends Nortons as the best. She said that 90% of the computers they get in with a virus is using the free scanners.But it is interesting to hear whoat other people have to say
October 21, 2004 11:14PM
My experience is that AVG is terrific.

I even introduced my web architect son to it ( an about-turn from the usual advice giving scenario grinning smiley ) and he uses it himself now!! That's recommendation enough for me :}

October 21, 2004 11:40PM
I have TREND Internet Security. this is a great product. It has everything, firewall, email protection, child lock, antivirus etc. This was recomended to me by a computer technician, he said that this product has great reviews and doesnt slow your computer down like Norton. I have always been a Norton user but would not go back. after using this.
The salesperson in the store I puchased it from said how popular it was getting .

October 22, 2004 04:05AM
Hi,

I don't wish to step on anyone's toes, but it has always been my experience that those who make financial gain from selling Norton Antivirus (and others) will always recommend them over the free ones.

Claire
[www.Quirk.co.nz]
Megan
October 22, 2004 05:30AM
Hello all - thanks for your replies.

At the mo I'm swaying towards AVG still, are heading away for a break away so will have time to think about it then.

I appreciate all your thoughts.

Have a fab labour weekend!!!!

smiling smiley Megan
Lyn
October 22, 2004 12:20PM
I also go to computer classes and the tutor, who doesn't own a shop, recommends AVG. I have also read on a few occasions that you should only ever run one antivirus programme as they can give conflicting results if you use more than one.
The tutor did however recommend using both spybot and adaware. Do you think the two are necessary Claire?
Lyn.

October 22, 2004 09:46PM
I run Norton antivirus and and really annoyed every week it "finds" a whole lot of adware files that it CANT delete (but some weeks finds less than it did the week before without me deleting anything!) - you then have to go get a whole lot of very complicated instructions re: deleting registrys etc. that I'm too computer illiterate to do.....well I did one once...you would think the upgrade would be able to delete these files....
October 23, 2004 02:57AM
I use AVG and find it great - I also have zone alarm and spybot.
I haven't had a virus in the time that I have used AVG yet had many problems while using Norton.

I also think it is important to get your computer serviced and checked out for any "nasties" on a regular basis, as you would your car. Especially if you do have lots of internet activity.
October 23, 2004 04:26AM
I use Zone Alarm (free version). Should I also be using AVG as well, or do they both do the same thing?
October 23, 2004 11:41AM
I'm not going to comment on which is best, but people might not be aware that upgrading Norton is cheaper than buying it new. Some shops do not recognise that and will try to sell you an new set up disk, even though you have had it before.
As a side issue, if you are a student you can get a lot of software at hugely discounted prices - something I find most people are unaware of. Some businesses require you to produce a student id, others take your word for it.

Janet
October 24, 2004 10:24PM
We used to use Nortons, but got a nasty virus. Turns out we were one of quite a few people infected, before they'd done an update to detect it.

So hubby got his back up and talking to a friend, installed eTrust EZ Antivirus. Once I got used to it, now love it. At the same time we also installed a firewall and regularly use Ad-Aware now. Have had it for a while, but didn't often run the scan.

My brother-in-law runs a business and they have 3computers, and none had any antivirus protection. I was doing a bit of work for him, and mentioned it to their accountant who advised them to use AVG. I know its not supposed to be used for businesses, but it detected a virus and then their computers were running a lot better. Previously they'd been constantly crashing, and as I was the new person there, they assumed I was doing something to cause this.

I think the big thing with any antivirus programme, is to actually use it and to regularly do updates.

Linda.
Jan
October 25, 2004 02:14AM
I use the free AVG have for about 4 years, I find it really good and better than Norton which I have also used....Jan
Karen
October 31, 2004 02:55AM
Pardon my ignorance - but what is AVG and where do you get it from?
October 31, 2004 04:42AM
Karen - it's a free antivirus protection. Go here to read about it [www.grisoft.com] - if you scroll down, on the left you will see AVG Free Edition and you can download it

I have had it in place for 5 years in which time I have had one Trojan virus - and there was no mistaking it - there were message alerts flashing onto the screen from AVG every few minutes. By following their instructions which I found on their site I was able to remove the virus with no problems at all.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.