Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

spiders on outside furniture

Posted by Raewyn 
spiders on outside furniture
October 31, 2004 12:35AM
Has anyone got any hints about how to keep the spiders at bay on outdoor furniture.

Have just done a tour around the property and altho I cleaned them all up 2 weekends ago for a family gathering - they are absolutely covered again in webs. They particularly like the canvas ones.

I tried spraying with fly spray - but it left a mark on the canvas.

We live near bush so I guess that doesn't help - but I keep telling them that they have so many others options - why pick on what we want to sit on. Get's to the stage where if we have visitors drop in unexpectantly I have to whip around and "de-web".

Thanks
Raewyn G
Re: spiders on outside furniture
October 31, 2004 01:14AM
Could you not train one of your boys to do that job for you. You can't be everywhere at once.........liddle girl!!!!!:/
Lyn
October 31, 2004 03:44AM
I don't have a permanent remedy but I use an old bottle brush to do inside the canvas chairs, just brush up & down gets the webs out & the spiders too.
October 31, 2004 05:09AM
This is a common problem. Clean up this week and they are back again. The only way is to get the exterminator to spray. this lasts for one year. I can't be bothered getting them in so It is back to the old elbow grease.
October 31, 2004 08:49PM
What about that spray from the supermarket that's supposed to stop insects coming into the house. You spray it round windows and doors. Can't remember what it's called, but maybe that would work.

Lorna
November 01, 2004 03:59AM
Oh Lyn - what a brilliant idea using a bottle brush. Almost looking forward to them coming back so I can try it out.

Thanks
There are times when I am really glad that I live in the UK - despite hearing so much about your beautiful country! Made me go all goose-pimply just to read about the problem.

Jane the arachnaphobe
November 11, 2004 02:54AM
Hi Jane
I too am an arachnaphobe - terribly so actually.
I'm a kiwi but lived in the UK 70 to 74 and I saw the biggest spiders there that I have ever seen. We lived on the second or third (can't remember) floor and they would come up where the central heating pipes came up in the floor. There was many a day I was up on the couch and spraying the s___ out of them so they would literally be swimming.
We live on an Island a few kilometers out from Auckland so it may help keep some away I suppose but I spray quite often, especially this time of the year. I go around the garden spraying any webs I see. Around the window frames and when I vacume I do all around the ceiling corners just to make sure there's none there.
Have a nice day.
November 11, 2004 03:19AM
Do you live on Waiheke Island?
November 11, 2004 03:22AM
Never mind - I just read your "who are we?" thread - welcome to foodlovers! I lived on the island for 7 years a few years back - in fact the year you moved there - I had my daughter Daisy in the lounge of our house on Onetangi Road (no 37 if you're driving past - check out my garden - when we moved in it was an empty paddock!)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.