Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Laundry Quandry!

Posted by Rachel 
Laundry Quandry!
November 05, 2004 05:22AM
Help! What is the best way to get cooking oil stains out of a dark pink T Shirt & a pair of cream and pale grey striped cotton pants?
Re: Laundry Quandry!
November 05, 2004 05:46AM
Try the product shout gel, it says its heavy duty on the label. It is in a small yellow plastic bottle with an orange/red brush style top. I have had lots of good results with this and used to find it really good at getting those marks on the neck lines of white shirts off.
November 05, 2004 05:56AM
Thanks Karen. That'll teach me to cook & talk on the phone at the same time!
jen
November 05, 2004 09:15AM
Along the same lines... who amongst us is brave enough to admit to wearing a pinny whilst cooking?
And if so, what's usually on the front of it, apart form red wine stains? Have a friend who bought a michaelangelo(sp?)one, and wore it at the hair salon where she works, but ever so briefly! I used to, but don't these days.
jen
November 05, 2004 11:18AM
Who would be brave enough to admit to wearing a pinny? Well that's how I used to feel, until, as part of a school assignment Emma (and I) made a black cafe style one with a stenciled cafe (imaginary) name in orange and purple on the pocket. We acquired another, which Emma prefers, then I made a third. They wrap around well, and definitely beat having stains on your work clothes - and how many of use change when we get home:-o.

In fact, I've bought some great material with apples on, and another piece with olives on to make a couple of aprons for Chrissie pressies (and goodness me, there's enough material for one each for this house - fortunately Emma likes the apples and I like the oliveswinking smiley). Janet
Raewyn G
November 05, 2004 09:10PM
I have a pile of aprons, mainly for work. Roll on December as I don't wear the regulation ones, but have my own homemade Christmas ones. Have one for each day of the week and a spare = 6 in total. Wouldn't be without mine. My home ones are brilliant, especially if I'm in amoungst the flour!!!!!! LOL:}
November 05, 2004 09:23PM
I have a barbeque apron that I was given some years ago, but it's still folded up, still with it's manufacturers dressing in the material, so crisp and clean. I do, however, change my clothes as soon as I get home from work. Something to do with preferring to be casual at home.

Lorna
November 05, 2004 09:51PM
The green Swarfega hand cleaning gel is great for removing grease spots. Rub into the stain, leave to stand for about 30 minutes then wash as normal.

Must admit I was using this long before such things as 'Shout' came onto the market so perhaps they have superceded my old fashioned solution smiling smiley

November 05, 2004 10:38PM
I usually wear an apron as I always seem to "splash" myself!!
I think I'm a mseey cook!!
Cheers,
Sandragrinning smiley
November 05, 2004 10:40PM
OOps... sorry that should be "messy"
Dipsleptic as well!!
Sandra.

November 05, 2004 11:06PM
I boldly admit to wearing an apron.... because I can't stand having spots, or dribbles on my clothes, even if I am at home!!! And I always seem to end up splashing myself with something, when cooking. My choice is a really bright one made by the Belfast weavers, with a plastic sort of a coating, so it can be wiped clean. It has a lovely print of stylised cats on it, so very cheerful and not dowdy to wear. Out of interst, my grandmother always wore an apron, and had an interesting collection of it, maybe something of that rubbed off on me.... not sure, but I have to have an apron, if I am doing anything serious in the kitchen.:p
Kaye.
November 06, 2004 08:57AM
When in England went to the Granada Studios to the set of Coronation St. Bought an apron there but have yet to wear it. Hubby thought I was daft buying it. Now I threaten him I will wear a tab apron, English folk seem to wear these at home and at some cafes. Ooh they are so so revolting. Like a large bib.
November 06, 2004 09:43AM
Try using Sunlight liquid soap. I have used this and it has worked on oil stains. Just rub straight into stain. Also really good on all those paint stains on kindy clothes.
November 06, 2004 09:59AM
I always used to use the old Sunlight cake soap, and rub it into the stain as soon as possible, leave to soak in, then wash.
We were talking about this issue at work in the last week, and one lady swore that pure eucalyptus oil (purchased from the chemist) is the way she has always treated fat/oil splatters

Paula
November 08, 2004 04:21AM
I've worn a "pinny" in the kitchen for years - my grandmother used to make them for me regularly; but she died about three years ago now and my supplies are beginning to wear out....sob, sob!
I'm a messy pup sometimes so a pinny is a definite must!
jen
November 08, 2004 10:53AM
Maybe we could ask for a (pinny) photo section on foodlovers???
November 08, 2004 07:03PM
Photos of just the pinnies, or the contents too?? :}

Lorna
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.