Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Masking tape residue- removal?

Posted by Dawn 
Masking tape residue- removal?
November 08, 2004 01:30AM
Help!!! We are re-decorating and I have removed the masking tape from around the window glass, but some of it was cheap masking tape and now I am having difficulty removing the sticky residue left on the window especially where the sun has been beaming down on it. I have tried vinegar to no avail and spray and wipe does soften it a bit but needs a lot of scraping with a knife.

Anyone got any clever hints please - I'm getting desperate. Dawn.
Bev
Re: Masking tape residue- removal?
November 08, 2004 01:40AM
I have used Meths before which worked well.smiling smiley
November 08, 2004 01:52AM
Try Oil of Eucalyptus - removes the sticky residue from plasters, so hopefully should do the same for masking tape.

Margaret
November 08, 2004 03:51AM
Desolvit.... not sure I have the spelling right, but in the supermarket, and great for getting sticky residu off from labels, just make sure you rinse/wipe it of thoroughly from surfaces though. Also great for resin from firewood etc, and tar.
Kaye
November 08, 2004 05:03AM
Hi Dawn,
Nail varnish remover could do the trick!
Cheers,
Sandra.

Pat
November 08, 2004 08:09AM
Peanut butter dont laugh.
Pat
November 08, 2004 09:34AM

Yes Dawn I agree with Bev- meths is great for removing sticky residue- smiling smileyJoy-A
November 08, 2004 11:00AM
Thank for your responses to my HELP plea.

If there's one thing I have learn't with masking tape, it is, don't economise with the cheaper options (and, in a way that probably applies to a lot of items (?)). Initially we bought the more expensive option, and when that ran out, in desperation, I shot down the road and bought the cheaper model to finish the job. In the long run, it is worth spending the extra $ on a good masking tape as it peels off without a problem and without the stickiness that I'm now trying to deal with.

Everyone's suggestions have been graterully received, and I will let you know in due course howwe get on. I am especially intrigued by Pat's peanut butter one, and no, I won't laugh until I've tested it and see the results!
November 08, 2004 07:01PM
It's probably the oil content of the peanut butter that does the trick. Just a thought.

Lorna
Definately try Desolvit.... we used to use it to get the residue from labels works wonders you can buy it at woolworths and i'm sure ive seen it at countdown.
Kindest Regards
lisa
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.