Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

A good hair day???

Posted by Renée 
A good hair day???
November 12, 2004 04:25AM
Went to my usual stylist today at Rodney Wayne - and she did a good job - unlike last time when she messed up - and of course I discussed that with her. But this isn't about that grinning smiley :}

She paraded before me the products she had used - shampoo, conditioner, volumising mousse - and I had a thought that I might purchase them. I asked for the price and I was stunned when they were $32 each - $96 on top of the $55 for the cut and blow-dry.

It was a good hair day because I refused to buy them - went to the supermarket and got a range of Pantene which was on special.

Am I very naive or is this the normal price now for Salon hair product?? :-o

Re: A good hair day???
November 12, 2004 04:30AM
good god !!! Will stick to my Clairol and Garnier from the supermarket definitely
November 12, 2004 04:45AM
You were brave just going back............... ?:-(
November 12, 2004 04:56AM
Holey moley.....$55.00 + $96.00????

well no wonder i dont go to the hairdressers anymore. (have hair down long enough to sit on..... so maybe you can tell i dont go anymore grinning smiley )

i moan at what they charge just for a cut on the kids hair so often its me doing theirs, but that is just amazing.

How many people would actually buy that stuff and be none the wiser?

maybe im a miser but that sounds awful, i cringe when i buy Pantene from the supermarket. at $9.00 odd. sigh todays world huh.

beetle
November 12, 2004 05:25AM
I'm in total agreement. I think we females are taken for a ride with all sorts of cosmetics. We need it, we want it, therefore we pay (through the nose) for it. Men certainly know who has the purchasing power in any household.

By the way, have you ever noticed how much cheaper mens clothes are compared to womens? Especially shirts v. blouses. Even just a basic woman's blouse without embellishments costs half as much again as a mans shirt. You know why? I asked a shop assistant one day and was told there is a tax on womens clothes because they are a fashion item but mens clothes are a necessity!!! Talk about keeping us naked and pregnant????

Lorna
November 12, 2004 05:28AM
i use shampoo from the salon. i bought kerastase last time and it was $53 for shampoo and conditioner whcih i didn;t think was too bad as it lasts absolutely ages. My otehr products are about $32 and $25. I never buy them all the same day as i get my hair cut though as it just seems too much to pay in one go. because i have naturally curly hair, but try to get it as straight as i can the salon shampoo seems to be more conditioning for me. mind you, i just buy my husband supermarket stuff! :}
Raewyn G
November 12, 2004 07:30AM
No wonder we have scum on our showers, walls and screens or curtains, at that price!!!!!!!

Look closer girls..........get a torch.......... it's really GOLD!!!!!!

hehehehe:-o
Raewyn:}

Oh, by the way its cheap supermarket stuff for me!!!
Lyn
November 12, 2004 08:59AM
Like Tammy I go for the salon products too even tho' they are more expensive you definetely don't use as much I have shortish hair & I can make mine last for a good 4 - 6 months. Also I have a colour in mine & I find the better products are better on my hair. This week I have found a wonderful hairdresser who only cuts & is in her home, I am sporting a very stylish hair do & today I went to a place that only colours called 'Just Colour' & it is very nice $20 for the cut, $25 for colour if I have foils another $10. I do have to blow dry it myself they have a little area for people to do that so it is a no frills place but hey, I have been paying $140 to $200 I'm happy.
Lyn
November 12, 2004 11:28AM
I get a wet cut and blow dry for about $28. I stopped buying products from the salon because they did nothing that supermarket herbal shampoos couldn't do. Took weeks to clear up my scalp after using Kerastase shampoo, incidentally it was for dry scalp. Have had various brands and have had to dispose of them all..... so supermarket ones for me now! Lyn

November 12, 2004 07:45PM
I must admit that when I was earning a good salary I did buy the salon products without a second thought really - and I don't believe they were better or worse than the cheaper stuff.

However - now 'super' is upon us I have to budget and I have got accustomed to looking for specials in every area! Must say I enjoyed the days when I would fly round the supermarket cheerfully filling the trolley with no price discrimination whatsoever grinning smiley

November 12, 2004 09:11PM
As long as you use your discretion, there is nothing wrong with supermarket hair products.... in fact I have come to the conclusion, that some of them are, as good, if not better, than what I have been sold at times by the hair dresser, at an astronomical price. I know they would like us to believe that their products are better... of course they would with the mark up they probably have on them!!
No I have decided there is nothing wrong with the hair and skin care products from the supermarket.... and I have a sensitive skin and am liable to react to things... you just have to be careful about what you use.
And it is not just my opinion.... once when one of my children was seeing a dermatologist.... I was surprised to see some supermarket products listed, on their list of recommended products.... along side some much more upmarket names, I might add.
I like to think this way I end up with extra money to spend on other things!!winking smiley
sharon
November 12, 2004 10:37PM
I do buy Salon products but there shampoo & conditioner last for ages so when you compare the price and the length of time it lasts with supermarket ones which you use more of there probably isn`t much difference.
November 12, 2004 11:13PM
This has been a policy at R W's since the day he opened his first Salon. Only went there once !
November 13, 2004 01:58AM
Good god girls are your pockets lined with gold. Fancy paying such exorbant prices for shampoo etc. Consumer did the test on shampoos, conditioners. The one that came out top was the supermarket variety. I have been cought out by the expensive ones, but I stick to the cheaper ones now. And have never had any trouble with them.
November 13, 2004 03:04AM
Supermarket for me also and cut and blow-wave for $17. Where I hear you ask? Downtown Mt Maunganui and what's more she is a fantastic cutter. Often get complimentary remarks after being there. Sorry all am not encouraging her to change towns!!

Ang
November 13, 2004 03:16AM
We just use the cheaper ones as well. It all came about as a result of a much younger Ethan emptying out bottle after bottle to make bubbles cos Mummy kept forgetting to take the shampoo out of the shower. Suffice to say those days are long gone. Supermarket shampoos suit our needs - they also last for quite a while as a little goes a long way. Don't even stick to one brand either, just whatever is on special the next time we need another bottle smiling smiley
November 13, 2004 06:35AM
Gosh Mary where in downtown Mt do you get your haircut?. I go to the Mount and it costs me $54 for a cut and blow-wave. Bought some hairspray that he said was good and that was $22. Must say I thought what a fool I was to pay that for hairspray.
Kay
November 13, 2004 09:19AM
gosh Renee why go to RW they are so expensive and I have never had good service from them. There are so many good hairdressers around.
I think you said once that you live in Titirangi? Have you tried one of the salons in Green Bay or Blockhouse Bay? Have found most of these are better than RW and a lot less expensive.
Kay
November 13, 2004 07:41PM
Hi Kay,

I think it must be force of habit. We have only recently returned to Titirangi after living in the East Coast Bays for 5 years and I always went to RW in Browns Bay so I headed, like the proverbial sheep I suppose, to the RW in Lynmall.

I remember that years ago I used to go to 'de-Mop' (is it )in Titirangi Village - perhaps I had better rethink my options!!

However - I will bring in another point here which someone might like to comment on. I am certainly in the more mature age group but I still like a youthful trendy hairstyle. It has been my experience that many young hairdressers assume that older women want what I call an 'old' hairstyle - (better I don't describe what I perceive that to be or I may offend someone - lol) - or they plain don't give a damn. When you have found one that at least listens, understands, and tries to meet the customer's wishes there is a tendency to stay with them smiling smiley

Raewyn G
November 13, 2004 07:53PM
Yes Renee, I know what you mean. I have very grey hair and at 45yrs I certainly don't want a perm and a blue rinse!!!!! Perhaps some of these hairdressers need to listen to their wage providers a little more carefully!
If I have upset someone, then I am sorry, no offence intended.......honestly!!! :/
Raewyn

November 14, 2004 12:15AM
I had a good hairdresser, but sadly they closed down. Only cost me $15. Being in the grey set. I now pay $26. But I am not very happy. It is a trendy salon, with young staff. I ask for a trim, next thing I know it is all cut off. I said that I wanted the hair left over my ears. It just doesn't seem to register. I will have to look for another salon.:/:/:/
November 14, 2004 02:46AM
Will email Noeleen direct. Know what you mean when hairdressers don't listen. Our lady is great and anyone I have sent to her have all been more than satisfied. Has a barber's pole outside and the salon is basic but inside the reception is always warm and friendly and with my husband and I only paying $25 for both (mind you must admit that his is mainly searching fee!!!) who cares. We are both very satisfied clients.

November 14, 2004 10:18PM
I admit that I do pay top dollar - Redken, Sebastian or one of the other salon brands.
My hair is a hideous mess when I use the high detergent shampoos that supermarkets sell.
Although in saying that I am going to give Garnier a try as their products are said to be fantastic - both hair and skin care.

I couldn't write here what I pay for a cut and highlights as I just know it is horrendous but I have the best hair that I have had in years so I am prepared to stick with the salon. I only get my hair coloured a couple of times a year - but even with that justification it is still very expensive.
sharon
November 14, 2004 11:31PM
When you are at home with wee darlings all day it is important to feel good about yourself and the way you look and if that means spending $70.00 every couple of months on your hair WHO CARES.
We are only here for a good time not a long.:}
November 14, 2004 11:53PM
I go for the top end of the range indispersed with bouts of detergent free liquid soap from the health food shop rinsing with apple cider vinegar! -from one end of the scale to the other - I too shell out for a good cut and colour (although I did try for the au naturel look last year and everyone thought my blonde was grey!). I looked in the mirror and didn't recognise myself - I've always been a fiery red-head at heart!

Coincidentally my hair is now of the same colour and length and birdsnest type style that I had in the eighties!!
November 15, 2004 12:39AM
I have mine cut every 3-4 weeks by one of the Tutors at the hairdressing School here in Hamilton. She's excellent and whilst I dont pay top dollar I know that her expertise is being used and I have had some really complimentary comments about the cut & colour, but I took her advice recently and bought what I thought was a good styling product only to have used it twice and it disappeared. You guessed it, one son saw the name and purloined it. It gives the best scrunched up hair and its disappeared into the depths of his Kombi van never to be seen again. I will stick with the supermarket version I have used in the past.

Helen CB
Nellie
November 15, 2004 06:34AM
While we are talking about hairdressers, can anyone reccommend a good one in Timaru. I have naturally curly hair and a bit of a flair for hairdressing so I usually cut and colour my own. As I have just had surgery and not up to much so thought I would shout myself a 'do'
The thing is I don't know of any good hairdressers who know how to handle curly hair to a modern style for my age group. 50++ but 60-
Can anyone out there help please?
Cheers
Nellie
November 15, 2004 09:26AM
Yay for the natural curly hair - mine is corkscrew tight although it is loosening out with age (and thining out too, but that's a good thing as I look like a sheep when there is no product in my hair). I tried the hair salons, fancy shampoo (Curl Up etc etc) and have reverted to Pantene. I have given up on having my hair cut at salons as they cut it way too short. My hair is longer when wet (obviously) and springs up when it dries, so a shoulder lenth cut when wet, is an about-the-ears dry length - which then makes me a poodle). Now hubby get's out the scissors (embarrased to admit it the scissors are either sewing scissors or kitchen scissors) and trims it every once in a while. Some hints for curlies out there and something I wish I had learn't a lot earlier - shampoo, rinse, condition, rinse then apply more conditioner to damp hair and allow to dry (ie leave it in) - it gets rid of any frizzies without having to buy defrizz stuff that never works. My Jamacan friend doesn't use shampoo at all, just conditions her hair each 'wash' and hers isn't frizzy either. Another hint I tried was to oil my hair after each wash - just using olive oil. I didn't like that though as it ended up staining my clothes although it worked on my hair.
November 19, 2004 07:41AM
I have to admit if i can i will buy salon stuff. it definately lasts longer but i now dye my own hair. For year i was paying up to $280, just for a dye job no cut. i have quite long hair about waist length. And I do like my hair occasssionally different colours like purple and pink and of course my good old blonde. The cheapest Salon dye job i have had was $100 so now I buy for $22. the pink and purple it lasts about one year per bottle!! and Garnier decolourant mask for about $14.00 once every six weeks. Have not had a hair cut in 4 years so that helps the savings!!!
but yip i would pay that type of money and before i had kids I did:-o.
Kind regards
lisa
November 19, 2004 08:02AM
Lisa what is decolourant mask?

i have waist length hair as well and its currently blonde too.

I want a change but am a bit worried about doing this much hair by myself, and havnt been to the hair dressers for myself in years.
and i buy supermarket pantene.

beetle
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.